1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Review Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, May 27, 2017.

1. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

I must concur, I have been there too, it is a fantastic place.

QPR999 likes this.
  2. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Los Caracoles or the Gaucho Iwas?

3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I've had a 'Tournedos al Rossini' at a resturant in Coral Bay, Cyprus. Fillet steak on a bed of toast and pate, richly indulgent but to die for...

QPR999 likes this.
  4. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Fillet steak is very tender but is not the best for flavour I think.

5. Lawrence Jacoby

Lawrence Jacoby Well-Known Member

As long as it’s bloody for me

How do people on here have their steaks ?

6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Depends on the quality of the steak, which I guess by the restaurant. High quality al sangue/blue, not so good medium rare.

Had a rack of lamb in a good restaurant a couple of weeks ago which was basically raw. They had told me it would be ‘shown the heat’. Not convinced, lamb should be pink for me.

7. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

As with Stan, blue for quality steak or rare for for the lesser quality. I can't understand how people can eat 'well done', the flavour is just cooked out. My favourite is pink duck breast...

8. IwasanotherwatfordR

Both actually - but I was referring to the artisan place in Barcelona. I went there about 5 years ago and ought to have gone back earlier this year when I was in the city again. I’ve been to Gaucho a few times, the one in Central London and Hampstead too. Always very good.

QPR999 likes this.
  9. durbar2003

T-Bone has always been my favourite. Medium.

10. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

Star Trek Discovery (Season 1 on Netflix)

Being a big Star Trek fan, I was looking forward to this series ever since it was first announced. I was especially happy that it was on Netflix, because they have shown a talent for doing space-borne sci fi very well (The Expanse is excellent, and I really enjoyed Ascension, even though it got canned after six episodes.)

So far, this has lives up to the hype, with new ships, new tech, new aliens, and some very good action scenes and effects. The stories have been well written and play to the strengths of the cast, whilst providing plenty of nods back to the previous shows.

11. durbar2003

Just saw the new Jackie Chan film "The Foreigner". Really enjoyable especially as he takes on the IRA.

12. IwasanotherwatfordR

Saw The Wedding Present at Cadogan Hall this evening. Great band in an intimate venue, recommended.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  13. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Saw them a couple of months ago, played the whole of "George Best" and a few other tracks - absolutely brilliant!

14. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

Saw Marc Almond tonight. He was backed by a small orchestra and regular band. Fantastic voice and the sound created by the ensemble was captivating.

£19.50 a ticket for this tour which is amazing value.

Mostly new stuff but a few hits thrown in (Torch and Days of Pearly Spencer were highlights for me). The whole production was good enough that not knowing all the songs didn't matter.

Only oddity was Mr Almond telling two people in the front row to "**** off" amidst a two minute rant at them for incessant chattering (presumably caught his line of sight because they weren't shouting disruptively).

15. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Just popped the cork on that 2013 Nebbiolo and it is really excellent for the price, straight out of the bottle, without breathing, light in colour, great in taste, I suspect a bit different from Barolo, assuming that wine is more akin to Châteauneuf-du-Pape, based on your taste comparison.

This Nebbiolo was recommended by the products guy, in lieu of the cheapest Barolo (at almost half the price), and is in limited supply, so will perhaps pick up a few more bottles with the Christmas season ahead.

• Langhe DOC Nebbiolo 750ml
    • Retail Price: C$20.49
    • In Warehouse: 0
    please log in to view this image

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    sb_73 likes this.
  16. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Just finished the book Stan, thoroughly enjoyed it. Having watched Season 1 of the TV show however, there are some major twists away from the original plot, especially including Mad Sweeney and Laura Moon, so not really sure how the show will resolve this (I'm hoping that it may improve the storyline slightly....). You could almost watch it as a stand-alone as the acting is superb (Iain McShane is a brilliant piece of casting). A good holiday read - thanks for the heads-up.

Hoop-Leif and sb_73 like this.
  17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

My pleasure. I will try to watch the TV version, the casting of McShane does look inspired. On the strength of American Gods, which I thought had a really interesting thought at its core - that ideas (gods) are just as strong as the level of belief in them - I read another of Gaiman’s books, Neverwhere, which is straight fantasy and very poor (although well written and with some arresting images) in comparison.

18. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Steelmonkey likes this.
  19. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Following on from the earlier discussion, I really would highly recommend this wine at only C$20/bottle here, but in limited supply. This one will definitely be a red wine of choice for me going forward

2013 Beni di Batasiolo Langhe Nebbiolo, Piedmont, Italy

upload_2017-10-16_20-8-27.jpeg

Wine Notes

• This is the one of the most popular Langhe wines. This wine has been climbing in popularity during the year.
    • This is priced higher than average for Langhe wine. The price has been stable over the past year.
    • Many stores in America have this wine. A good selection of vintages are available.
    Average Price $ 20 (USD)

Nebbiolo Wine

Nebbiolo is the grape variety behind the top-quality red wines of Piedmont, northwestern Italy, the most notable of which are Barolo and Barbaresco. Nebbiolo wines are distinguished by their strong tannins, high acidity and distinctive scent – often described as "tar and roses". A less obvious characteristic, visible only over time, is their tendency to lose color. Within just a few years of vintage, most Nebbiolo wines begin fading from deep, violet-tinged ruby to a beautiful brick orange.

Nebbiolo is the quintessential Piedmontese wine grape – the dominant variety in five of the region's DOCGs and numerous DOCs (see Italian Wine Labels). Even its name evokes the region's foothills on cool autumn mornings, when the valleys and vineyards lie hidden under a ghostly blanket of nebbia (fog). The name is very apt for this late-ripening variety, which is harvested later in the year than Piedmont's other key varieties (Barbera and particularly Dolcetto), in foggy, wintry weather conditions.

Nebbiolo Grapes

Powerful, intense Barolo is the most famous and prestigious Nebbiolo-based wine, but it is increasingly rivaled by the slightly more elegant and perfumed wines from Barbaresco to the northeast, which rose to prominence in the late 20th Century.

Wines from just outside the borders of Barolo and Barbaresco may be classified as Langhe Nebbiolo, as may wines from young vines or less favored plots within these two famous appellations. The high-quality red wines of Roero, just across the Tanaro river from Barolo, are further affordable alternatives to Barolo and Barbaresco. Here, Nebbiolo's austerity and tannins was often softened with a splash of Barolo Bianco – a local nickname for white Arneis – though the practice, while still legal, is rare nowadays. Historically many vineyards here contained a mix of both varieties. Nebbiolo d'Alba is a third option for value; the zone covers much of the territory of Roero but extends across the Tanaro south of Alba to Diana d'Alba.

While the majority of the most prestigious wines across these parts of Piedmont are made entirely from Nebbiolo, some blends do exist at various price levels, but mainly classified as IGT Piemonte. Likely partners include Barbera – like La Spinetta's Pin Monferrato Rosso – and the Bordeaux varieties.

Sixty miles (100km) northeast of Roero, Nebbiolo is the dominant variety in the wines of Ghemme and Gattinara, and a cluster of nearby villages along the regional border with Lombardy. The variety has even spread across this border and up into the dramatic Alpine scenery of the Valtellina. Here it goes by the name Chiavennasca, and is used to produce both dry red wines (lighter than those from Piedmont but just as alluringly perfumed) and the powerful, Amarone-like Sforzato di Valtellina.

Sensitivity to terroir is one of Nebbiolo's trump cards, but also its downfall. While Riesling and Pinot Noir are grown in respectable volumes in many wine regions around the world, Nebbiolo is not. It is famously picky about where it grows, requiring good drainage and a long, bright growing season. In Piedmont, it is one of the first varieties to flower and the last to ripen, making it very susceptible to poor weather conditions in spring and autumn.

Fortunately, given the foggy conditions in which it ripens, most strains of Nebbiolo demonstrate a good resistance to rot and mildew. Unfortunately, the vine showed little resistance to the root-destroying phylloxera mite when it arrived in Europe from the Americas in the 1860s. When it came to replanting Piedmontese vineyards, the higher-yielding Barbera became the region's preferred variety.

Despite its fussiness in the vineyard, Nebbiolo's irresistible allure has led it to become a niche variety in pretty much every one of the "New World" wine nations. It is now grown in small quantities by just a few wineries in the United States, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

Synonyms include: Spanna, Picoutener, Chiavennasca.

Food matches for Nebbiolo include:
    • Herb-crusted roast lamb rack
    • Smoked duck with wild mushrooms
    • Fresh spinach linguine with white truffle shavings

Langhe Wine

Langhe is the hilly subregion east of the Tanaro river and south of Alba, in the Cuneo province of Piedmont (Piemonte). The name "Langhe" is the plural form of langa, a local word for a long, low-lying hill.

A Langhe DOC wine may be rosso, bianco or rosato (red, white or rosé), a blend or a varietal with the name of the grape variety on the label. It can be still, frizzante (semi-sparkling), novello (an early-release, youthful style for reds) or passito (made from dried grapes).

The Langhe landscape

The Langhe area has a long history of vinegrowing and many of the wines made here use traditional, well established grape varieties such as Arneis and Favorita (Vermentino) for whites, and Nebbiolo, Dolcetto and Freisa for reds. The DOC covers a much wider area than most others; within its boundaries can be found some of the most famous DOCG wines in Italy, including the great Nebbiolo centers of Barolo and Barbaresco, plus Asti and Dogliani.

But for wines which do not conform to the production criteria (production area, grape varieties or winemaking techniques) associated with these prestigious names, there is the Langhe DOC which has more relaxed production restrictions, allowing winemakers to experiment with varieties and techniques not sanctioned under other DOCs. The most obvious effect of this advantage so far is a surge in production of Langhe Chardonnay wines.

Since its introduction in November 1994, the Langhe DOC has gained considerable repute for its innovative viticulture and use of international varieties (Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc are prime examples). The creativity this affords the local winemakers has led to a new generation of high quality wines, many comparable to the prestigious "Super Tuscans" from Tuscany.

The Langhe DOC laws include the more specific title "Langhe Nascetta del Comune di Novello", exclusively for white Nascetta wines from Novello, a village at the very southwestern corner of the Barolo viticultural area. The village's vineyards are located at an altitude of just under 460 meters (1500ft), and are blessed with the same clay-marl soils and southern aspect as Barolo.

In 2011, the new DOCG Alta Langa Metodo Classico was forged in the fires of Italian wine bureaucracy, and at that time the former Dolcetto delle Langhe Monregalesi DOC was dissolved, and its viticultural area transferred under the now broader Dogliani DOCG banner.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-68000-0001-beni-di-batasiolo-langhe-nebbiolo-piedmont-italy

20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Drinking steadily and playing on the iPad in an effort to ignore Strictly, when a tune to one of the jigs reminded me of something. Eventually I worked out that it was a horrible, castrated version of a Rodrigo y Gabriela tune. For anyone else who suffered this, here is how it should sound. They are truly great to see live, and to play very loud in the car. Thrash metal Mexican flamenco.

Steelmonkey and Stroller like this.