1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Real Issue

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Ranger Dave, Jan 22, 2018.

1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Cool, maybe I read it a bit wrong. I thought posters were basically saying 'it's boring blah blah blah' and didn't think that was fair.
    We can all be boring and some will disagree but we should always listen to all sides of the argument or we get a
    Brexit Debate. <yikes>

2. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Blood hell Bob I would hate to think what some of the older posters have spent! I guess they got to see all the stars of the 70's so it would have been worth it. :emoticon-0148-yes:

3. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I was just a wee lad back then. It was great to witness the likes of Tarrabt, Wegerle and players with natural ability. Having had a scan around other forums and Twitter I've found many fans with the same frustrations. It is quite a concerning position to be in. I really hope things improve but im struggling to find any evidence. Youngsters coming through is a positive bit are they really going to be good enough to progress us, only time will tell. Could we possibly lose our better players (smithies, freeman, pavel, robinson) if decent offers come in due to our financial situation and if so are these kids good enough to stabilise a championship place. To rely on 3 teams being worse than us to stay up is ridiculous for any club to even contemplate. I just hope fans don't express their concerns with lack of bums on seats as then it will be an even harder road back. I generally only do away games but it's the season ticket holders who in my opinion are the heart and soul of the club with the loudest voice. We can go either of 2 ways, we all want to go in the right direction but are scarily hovering over the other route.

4. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Not much point having a forum if we all don't think about QPR mate. Also, Bob is entitled to post what he thinks. If it's "a bit of a treadmill" for you to read them, you don't have to (just like I don't read Paul's crap).

ELLERS likes this.
  5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

See subsequent response to Ellers. Seems I didn’t express myself clearly, though Bob got it. But thanks for the advice.

rangercol likes this.
  6. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Seems to me that we fall in to two distinct camps on this board, those who are thoroughly hacked off and want TF, LF, MB, CR, IH, LH and anyone else that I've forgotten out of the club and those that are thoroughly hacked off but recognise that TF, LF, MB, CR, IH, LH and the rest are doing the best that they can within the resources that the club has and that for the foreseeable future we'll not be within a country mile of being top 6 in this division......

Also just for the record I don't believe anyone on here actually "hangs on every word that Holloway speaks", I'm fairly sure that to a poster we were all totally underwhelmed when he was appointed and that feeling hasn't changed in the last 12 months.......

As a club there are no funds available even though the individual owners might have money behind them, it is the club/business that has to fund any acquisitions, not the individual owners, plus the wages bill has got to be slashed. So those who want everyone gone think on about how they are to be replaced and who's going to fund it, you know severance pay etc and think who in their right mind would want to come and work at the club in the first place.

It's a shame that 6 years down the line we are paying the price for the recklessness of TF and Phillip Beard when he first took over the club but also by experienced football people Warnock, Hughes, Redknapp who led him up the garden path and spent his money on God awful sh*te players on long contracts and huge wages........

The current crop are having to sift through that wreckage before we as a club can even start to look forward to a prosperous future, still having done 50 years of following this club and the number of good years are heavily outweighed by the bad years I think I might just stick with it........

Up The R's

7. rangercol

<laugh> Sarcastic git! :emoticon-0100-smile

8. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

2 Camps? Hope and think there are a lot more varied opinions than that.

For one lumping in Colin who took us from low Championship to 9th in the PL in a season and a half, winning the Championship along the way, in the same breath as Hughes and Redknapp, is a heresy or worse, and dis of the highest order.

And by the way who thought Huddersfield would have been in the PL a couple of years ago?

rangercol, bobmid and Uber_Hoop like this.
  9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think Trams was alluding to those magnificent Warnock purchases Barton, SWP, Boothroyd, Traore, Gabbidon, Bloody Luke Young, Dirty Neck Campbell, Anton Ferdinand, Dyer, Brian ‘Butterfingers’ Murphy. And when he was sacked we were 17th in the league and had taken 5 points from the last 33. Which is worse than Holloway at the moment. Always out of his depth in the PL, to the extent that now he is saying that even if Cardiff are promoted he will walk away because he ‘doesn’t like it’.

He did a great job for us in the Championship, where he is a very effective manager. He was and remains a completely horrible person.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    kiwiqpr and Tramore Ranger like this.
  10. rangercol

Agreed that Warnock is a nasty piece of work, but I can't help looking back on that "Taarabt" season with huge enjoyment. What a season my two lads watched.

Uber_Hoop and QPR Oslo like this.

11. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

That's what ! thought. I am not part of those 2 camps. I have my own camp. :police:

QPR Oslo likes this.
  12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Undeniable Col, it was a great season.

Going sideways a bit, it’s a difficult situation when someone you really don’t like achieves or contributes to something you really like. Does the fact that a person you don’t respect did something you appreciate detract from or taint the achievement? In the case of Warnock and promotion not really for me. But I suspect with a different manager I would have enjoyed it even more. Whereas with what we now know about Kevin Spacey, who is (or was) a truly great actor in my view, I now cannot watch any of the superb films he has been in, completely ruined for me, and I resent the couple of times I saw him on stage.

Horses for courses I suppose. I am not implying that Colin being a nasty piece of work in any way corresponds to Spacey’s behaviour of course, just clumsily trying to make a point.

Tramore Ranger and rangercol like this.
  13. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

So out of his depth we were 9th in the PL in November. That was more than good enough a start for me with that team and after what had happened that summer, or hadn't happened.

ELLERS likes this.
  14. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree as well Oslo. We won 1-0 away at Everton and I believed we would have survived under Warnock. The football may have looked a bit like Pulis at times but I still want to give NW credit because he got the best out of players. Take Adel he only ever did well under NW. Look at Hoilett now? Agree NW had limitations but I still think he has been the best with what he had.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  15. Ranger Dave

Ranger Dave New Member

My point of the post was not to not recognise we have to work within the means and finances the cub has but to highlight the fact that the owners have run the club into the ground more or less. In my view if a Manager says i want this player or that player, he goes to the board and it is either approved or refused. Therefore the poor signings on huge wages and long term contracts have all been given the green light by the Board, ultimately the Board have to take responsibility. Ian Holloway is doing the best he can, the fact he has no clue what to do is not the point, the players are playing for the badge , but ultimately will they ever be good enough to take the club forward? If the owners worked for any business and returned the results and losses QPR have over the last 5 years or so, then they would expect to be sacked. My original post was perhaps poorly worded but to state in my view the current issues with playing side, results, lack of funds for new players and FFP which i do not agree with in any form, as it is designed to support bigger clubs, is all the responsibility of the Board, no one else and they should be held accountable.

I do also realise that this is just my view and probably will not change anything, but unless someone / fans make their feelings know to Fernandes and his motley crew nothing is likely to change.

Rant over, going back to work :)

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think the board holds itself accountable. It has written off by converting to equity all the debt incurred and Fernandes has said that they will also cover any FFP fine. No liability on the club, which is debt free but with no real assets, just like when they bought it. Now they are trying to make it a going concern by balancing the books. As far as I can see they must still be putting serious money in just to pay the current reduced wages, because our turnover is tiny. Most clubs at our position and lower don’t have funds for new players unless they generate them by selling, it’s a level playing field in which you win by having better coaches and a good youth set up.

Owners can’t sack themselves, they have to sell or wind up. Which would you prefer?

The thing they can’t get back is the PL status we had when they bought the club, and it has been an embarrassing ride since then. Yep, they were mugs listening to ‘football people’ who couldn’t care less about the club. Yep, they probably regret getting involved in this at all. Yep, they are pretty incompetent. But I think they are honourable and have owned up to mistakes, and tried to fix them.

For what it’s worth I think we got two more seasons in the PL under this lot than we would have done if Tango and Cash had hung around, as they were explicitly not going to invest in the team and were only interested in extracting the TV cash. It’s just a shame that the two extra seasons were such miserable experiences.

17. rangercol

TBH I don't think I would have enjoyed that season any more whoever was in charge.

sb_73 likes this.