1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Don't think it will either....be daft to be inflexible when it was outside Spurs' control. Only problem would be if Wembley is booked for something else...which it doesn't seem to be unless the problem isn't resolved.

2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

There is a PL rule where you can't use 2 grounds in the same year. So unless they get some special circumstance from the PL if they play at Wembley in theory they can't play at their new ground this season.

3. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I know the guys building the stadium (Mace) and I know it was really hurting them. I’ll do some more digging :)

Libby likes this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

Under the foundations? :)

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

They already had agreement for this weekend though, and presumably do for these two extra matches.

It's only if it's still not ready that there will be issues imo.

6. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Being linked to Ben Arfa - maybe that transfer thread shouod be re-opened for new signings!!

7. fran-MLs little camera

Some of these links are a bit tenuous...someone being available on a free doesn't mean that we want them. For the first time, we seem to have decent players who aren't even making the bench.

8. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

How can we sign more players? We've got too many as it is. Who's going to miss the cut of 25? There's 30 on the Saints OS for the first team and I think only one of them is under 21. We need some to go out on loan.

9. fran-MLs little camera

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/deadline-day-premier-league-change-13082383

Article in Mirror suggesting that the EPL may consider moving the transfer deadline back to the end of August. A review would be normal after such a major change. I think the early closure of the window was made more complicated in its first season by it being a World Cup year. It is thought that we are put at a disadvantage compared to other European leagues....surely it just concentrates the mind. Lengthening this window would have just given longer for Tottenham not to buy players and for Mourinho to whinge about how hard life is on him and United.

Reverse it by all means if a range of clubs found it difficult, but if it is only the top clubs...then sod 'em. They have enough advantages and if they can't convince someone to come to the EPL, play for a top 4-6 side, play in European competitions on massive wages....then someone is not doing their job.

SaintinNZ and Saint Helen like this.
  10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

It is simple for me: ask Mourinho what he wants and do the opposite.

11. fran-MLs little camera

Hughes said that players had been told that unless it suited us they can forget trying to arrange a move to places where the window is still open. The answer would be to say the same for every season....no moves once the season starts.... whether the transfer date changes or not....be firm and stick to it. Yep, never going to happen.

12. Saintalona

Saintalona Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s the premier transfer window that is the problem.

Football clubs around the world want to charge to much for players. Chelsea paying almost 70 million for a replacement goal keeper is insane. I can understand it for Thibaut Courtois he has proven himself to the number one keeper in the world.

It will be interesting to see if Manu and spurs suffer from there lack of activity this summer.

13. fran-MLs little camera

It may show that buying new players all the time isn't essential for teams without serious deficiencies...it's just got to the point where spending a fortune is a habit. May have long term effects, but for one season? I doubt it. And the two teams named by Saintalona are in my opinion quite different. Spurs have a very good manager and team (keeping Alderweirald was almost as good as a purchase) so I expect them to do well. The same should be true of United....how well would we do if we had even a couple of their players....but Mourinho! I would like to see him try to get the best out of a poor EPL/Championship side before I judge his management skills. Always other people's fault and not his...I prefer a manager to accept blame and protect his squad. He is all set to stomp off in righteous indignation blaming the United board for making him work with such inferior players.

I may have let my feelings about Mourinho peek out there. :)

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  14. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think its much better, could have maybe started the season a week later with the world cup in mind.

15. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

To be fair, he won the Champions League with Porto and won Chelsea their first title in years.

16. BobbyD

BobbyD President

yeah, when mourinho first turned up on the scene, he was a manager and a coach.

Since Real, he's turned into a moaning manager who needs to spend spend spend.

Not just winning the CL with porto but i think people really underrate winning the CL with Inter.

17. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Good point about Inter - his gameplan was exceptional in that game.

18. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I’m growing back to a healthy dislike of Man United now. It’s countering the annoying fact that Liverpool are really good to watch.

Qwerty and OddRiverOakWizards like this.
  19. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

VVD just needs a season long injury, I can cope with them then. Still raw in my mind. Mane never an issue, Lovren is the best defender in the world, and totally forgotten about twat beard.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  20. fran-MLs little camera

Zaha has signed a new contract at Crystal Palace...easy to extend your contract at a top club....good to hear that a player wants to stay at a club he joined as a 12-yr-old.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.