1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Utd have won their last three games by a 3 goal margin. No team has won four on the trot with that margin in epl history. So we have another mission on our hands. Lets spoil some figures. And poop some parties.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Keeping a clean sheet against Man Coty clearly isnt for everyone.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Certainly makes our win even more impressive...especially with a clean sheet.

4. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

There’s a surprise!

5. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

I think we also stopped City getting a record when we beat them. If they had beaten us they’d have won the last X number of games against us in a row and it would have been the most consecutive losses to the same team that we’d had in the PL. Thats what the commentator said anyway!

6. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I read about this on another website and checked on Spurs 606 to see if anyone had picked up the rumour on there too. As you say, there are calls for Spurs to poach Ralph but also a shout to get Graham Potter in from Brighton.

I think that the re-start has been quite fascinating because if has offered up some scenarios as to how 20/21 might pan out. Mourinho getting the sack / walking out has got to be high amongst the probabilities although I think that Spur will wait a while before making an approach for Ralph. It is pretty obvious that he would be a good fit for White Hart Lane but he has to do some work at St Mary's first!

These are my predictions for next season:-

1. Man City will win the league by a comfortable margin.

2. Manchester Utd's revival will continue and they will finish second and a decent number of points above Liverpool, who will have a poor season and finish third. The two Manchester clubs will establish themselves as the best teams in the country.

3. Liverpool's championship will prove to be a one off.

4. Mourinho will be sacked by Spurs / quit the club after another disappointing season. Harry Kane will leave for a European club.

5. Southampton will be next season's surprise package and will qualify for Europe.

6. Wolves fill find others clubs poaching their best players and will not be so good next season.

7. Arsenal will continue to deteriorate. Saints will finish above them.

8. Leeds Utd will win promotion and will get immediately relegated alongside Brighton

9. I don't think that Sheffield Utd will be so good this season

My other prediction is that Portsmouth will sack Kenny Jackett before 20/21 has ended.

davecg69 likes this.
  7. fran-MLs little camera

Dear God, Don’t want to be greedy...can you make number 5 true. Oh, and something about world peace. Love Fran.

8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What is the basis for Liverpool struggling next season? They've been brilliant for 2 seasons now. They've got the best centre back in the world, I can't think of a better full back duo than TAA and Robertson and their front 3 are superb. Unless Klopp leaves or they sell key players then they will be right up there again.

9. fran-MLs little camera

Liverpool will be in contention, but I can see City regaining the title next season in a 2 horse race.

davecg69 and OddRiverOakWizards like this.
  10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree with that. Since 2010 only City have won back to back titles so it's not easy to defend a title.

11. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I agree about Liverpool's defence but I think that they will find it difficult to motivate themselves next season. Jordan Henderson is also likely to be missing at the beginning of the season. The question is whether they can maintain the same level of brilliance for a third season coupled with the fact that I think that Man Utd are looking to be back to their best. Liverpool have been a but sloppy since the re-start and the thumping they received from City feels like a reminder that they are only borrowing the title for this season. I cannot see them retaining it in 20/21 and think the league will be more competitive next season. Liverpool and the two Manchester teams will stand out next season from the rest of the pack but I think it is impossible to have a third season performing at this level. I do think that Liverpool will make a good attempt at European football next season and would not bet against them making another final.

Watching Man City against Brighton last night reminded me that they are still the best footballing team in the country and tended to underscore just how good our win against them was last weekend. If Man Utd add Grealish to their squad, I think that he will be the final piece in the jigsaw. It will click in to place at Old Trafford in 20/21.

12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Man City have lost 9 games this season - Liverpool have lost 2. Liverpool took their foot off the gas when the title was confirmed - it happens all the time. You can't really take anything from City's thrashing of them.

13. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

I agree about Wolves, where they are right now reminds me a lot of where we were about 5 seasons ago.

They have a lot of ambitious players who may see now as their best chance of the big move; not to mentions a fair few ambitious agents who wouldn't say no.....

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

It's definitely difficult to keep up such levels for 3 seasons in a row as City found out this season, think Liverpool will still be up there but it's not gonna be a runaway like this season.

Also reckon the winner will be high 80's / low 90's again next year rather than the high totals we've had for this season and previous 2.

15. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Everton are SO poor ..... it’s so annoying that they managed to get a point against us. I’d absolutely love it if someone lured Richarlison away from them ..... though they do have this “war chest” don’t they? :emoticon-0102-bigsm

16. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

They have spent incredibly poorly. Not sure what their spend is over the last 4 years or so but it must be massive. Ancelotti has a massive re-building job there, all the reports seem to indicate that he will have the money to do it though. The owner seems happy to continue pumping in the cash

17. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Penalty to wolves

18. saintrichie123

19. saintrichie123

20. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Pity. Can’t imagine any really decent player going there when there are so many better options. But, then, money talks I suppose, so players (and agents) will not looking at them. Can’t see them getting close to Top 6 for a very long time though - even with Ancelotti in charge.