1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

I'm sure Martin has Ireland's interests in mind, and so he should. But he seems level headed, unlike some of the hot heads in the EU. He's gonna come against France and Germany of course. Let's face it, together they are the EU when it comes to decision making. It's interesting though, that since the Brexit free trade agreement, Ireland currently seems to find itself more closely aligned to the UK than to its fellow EU member states on trade.

ELLERS likes this.
  2. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I hope you are right Goldie. The way the EU has been acting of late is nothing short of a mafia style organisation. They are trying to punish us and split the union. This latest stunt with 'Services' once again shows us exactly what they are all about? I am actually surprised how calm the government is with it all. I would be fuming by now.

3. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

We probably should have given financial services a bit more thought when negotiating the “great” deal but fish are more of a symbol to whip people into a frenzy over.

bobmid and QPR Oslo like this.
  4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Under European rules that pre-date Brexit, EU shares traded in euros must be traded on EU exchanges, or in countries with special “equivalence” status. It's nothing to do with 'punishment', we just didn't bother to negotiate equivalence.

5. Goldhawk-Road

There are elements in the EU that are angry we left, hopeful we fail and **** scared we succeed which will set a precedent for other potential leavers. They will do whatever they can to make life difficult within the framework of the Brexit free trade agreement, which is not particularly explicit and relies a lot on goodwill and discretion. Hopefully, things will have settled down in a year or so, vaccination programmes completed, and the EU will be in a less negative frame of mind

rangercol likes this.
  6. Goldhawk-Road

No one's disputing that, and it's not the issue. The issue is that the EU grants other countries like Canada equivalence, but is dragging it's feet on giving the UK equivalence, even though the UK has done the same for the UK.

It's no coincidence that these European shares are being traded in a country close to London, where the London Stock Exchange has apparently set up a subsidiary of some kind to ease the Brexit transition (Turquoise)

rangercol and ELLERS like this.
  7. Stroller

I see the government's system for booking quarantine hotels fell over just hours after going live. I suppose they hadn't really had time much time to prepare for it - just a year. How do these people get away with such serial incompetence?

QPR Oslo likes this.
  8. Bwood_Ranger

An 80 seat majority, complicit media and large boomer population insistent on conflating patriotism with support for the government no matter what.

That’s the very short answer anyway.

Frome-Ranger likes this.
  9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Do you just consistently moan about everything? It's almost like you want our country and government to fail on Covid and Brexit? Never a positive with you Stroller. The vaccine roll out has been nothing short of brilliant. They are simply people trying to do the best they can. Give a rest as it's boring.

10. Bwood_Ranger

That was perfectly timed.

Frome-Ranger and QPR Oslo like this.

11. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Yeah I listened to Lord Frost yesterday who was saying he was disappointed in the new EU stance and they "were not acting in good faith" as they said they would. If they keep doing stuff like this it will only backfire. Agree they are s22ting themselves especially regarding 'Singapore on the Thames'.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Goldhawk-Road likes this.
  12. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

You are the same in just wanting our country to fail. Personally I don't/can't understand why anyone would want that? I think it comes down to people losing Brexit/election and just can't accept it. Even with Covid, all this rubbish about the government mistakes and hoping they fail, is nothing to do with politics, it's about peoples lives. Sadly there are some who don't give a s22t about that and are only interested in bashing the government. Sad really but it says a lot about those types.

13. Stroller

The government deserves credit for vaccine procurement, credit for the roll-out goes to the NHS and all the other agencies involved.

The fact remains that this government has presided over the worst Covid death-toll and the worst economic outcomes of any major nation, whilst managing to line the pockets of its backers to the tune of £billions. If they're doing their best, it ain't good enough. Worse than that, it's a scandal.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  14. Bwood_Ranger

It’s not a coincidence that you get more defensive of the government on its handling of Covid as more cracks start appearing over the Brexit it chose to pursue rather than the Brexit it could have had. It all links back to Tory ideology. All of it.

It’s perfectly reasonable to both want us out the EU and to highlight the horrific negligence of the government over Covid but you have to defend them against all logic on both and just shout “you hate the country” rather than actually defend your view because you can’t.

15. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

As I said, there are those who want this country to fail.

16. Bwood_Ranger

If I wanted the country to fail I’d be blindly cheering for this government and seeking out literally anything in the media that made me feel less of a **** about it.

17. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

As for Brexit and 'cracks'... actually far from it. I expected the EU to act like 2222's and I was right. I always said the first year would be the worse. If you stop reading all the negative crap from The Guardian you will see that things are not as bad as some said. The EU will come around because they will need to, especially with the Eurozone in the s22t. You think we have it bad here... I spoke to my friend in France and they are having a real bad time with no sight of a vaccine jab in months.

18. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

I heard from a bloke down the pub what he heard from some random on Twitter that he was listening on the radio and all the failings are linked to Corbyn, Greta, the woke community and lack of people believing.

bobmid and kiwiqpr like this.
  19. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I heard it from a Chelsea fan.

20. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

Doesn’t surprise me you’d keep the company of like minded people

bobmid likes this.