1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Jun 25, 2015.

?

Should the UK remain a part of the EU or leave?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Stay in

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Get out

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

The way they went about it was certainly far from smart, but I thought the idea of trying to exacerbate the splits was clever, and it did smoke out some remnant support for May from the ERG and DUP. Your analysis on why he wants to avoid the no confidence vote in the Govt is spot on imo.

GoldhawkRoad likes this.
  2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

you should be able to let us know steelsy
    is this true
    Richard James‏@skisidjames 4h4 hours ago

More Fake News. ‘Thousands of troops on standby for Brexit’. Complete nonsense, the UK always has 3,500 service personnel held at readiness - including regulars and reserves - in order to support any Government department on any contingencies they may need

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Here’s an interesting bit of Brexit gaming.

Pharmacies are already reporting shortages of certain drugs, at a time when there are no supply chain issues. These are not the expensive, newer, patent protected, branded drugs, which are price controlled, with the companies that make them (like mine) relying on volume to drive profit. It’s the generic drugs, which any company can make and which are generally much cheaper by unit but not price controlled, where the shortages are being seen. Because the price is flexible and competition for some of these drugs very limited, unit cost as well as volume are the profit driver. Speculation is that bits of the supply chain, perhaps the manufacturers, are stockpiling rather than releasing into the market as a way to drive up prices, as it might be more difficult (hopefully briefly) to import these products if things go tits up for a bit.

****ing capitalists. But of course exactly the kind of behaviour which would be more than acceptable to the total free market, survival of the fittest Brexit tendency - Mogg, Johnson et al.

Regardless of Brexit, we need to legislate to control this market, it where all the recent scandals have happened where one company corners the market on a drug which they didn’t pay a penny to develop, gets it made somewhere cheap and quietly puts the price up hundreds of percent because no one is watching.

Raving will either confirm or dispute this intepretation, he knows this stuff.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    DT’s Socks and kiwiqpr like this.
  4. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Will add some points related to the Health Service Medical Supplies (Costs) Act 2017 tomorrow - which engages with this issue, but not as fully as it could. In my opinion at least, but I know many industry colleagues feel the same. Time poor tonight I'm afraid!

sb_73 likes this.
  5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Shows how out of date I am, wasn't even aware of that act, I’ll look it up.

6. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Yes, they have troops on standby, for stuff like the fire service strikes, or prison officer strikes, or when there's disasters like flooding, but for Brexit? - FFS the new recruiting slogan..... "join the Army and stamp some passports". I wouldn't be sure of the figures though, I left nearly 20 years ago!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  7. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

There was a discussion about pharmacuticals on the early morning Money Program on BBC Radio Scotland a couple of days ago. Some of the points both you and Raving are talking about can be found in this article that goes with the program. They had the Chief Exec of the Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee (PSNC), stating that Brexit, the fall of the pound, and possibly hoarding by manufacturers may be some of the issues....

Brexit: Is NHS already finding it hard to get medicines? - BBC News https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46597425

I did think of you and your.company when the article was on!

kiwiqpr likes this.
  8. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Nowt in hoarding for us Steels, we can’t change the price of what we sell. We have been stockpiling though, at the request of the government, as most of our stuff is imported from Ireland, Spain, Italy and France as well as the US and Puerto Rico, just to ensure as best we can continuity of supply if there are delays getting through borders.

It’s a fiasco. Apparently the government is writing to 140,000 companies with ‘guidance’ on what they should do to prepare over the next 100 days.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Steelmonkey likes this.
  9. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

It's a fiasco because they should have been doing this 2 ****ing years ago!

10. DT’s Socks

DT’s Socks Well-Known Member

Plenty other products set to also rise in price

3% increase on air which Europe supplies because we sold ours years ago

kiwiqpr likes this.

11. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

It's because 70% of MP's are remainers and it has always been the intention of some to wreck the process and hope we stay. That includes members of the government and cabinet.

KPDHoopster and rangercol like this.
  12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

3% is not too bad
    the uk will make a profit if it puts a 5%tarriff on the hot components that go with it

DT’s Socks and Steelmonkey like this.
  13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

John Humphrys, who I despise, running rings around the Home Secretary on the immigration white paper (a year late) this morning. The one totally predictable question that Javid needed to prepare for ‘do you still have a net immigration target of tens of thousands’ he couldn’t answer, even when he had the exact words from the Tory manifesto read out to him. Outstanding, on this evidence, based on the skills of the current incumbent, this twat is PM in waiting.

Also tied in knots about the bizarre idea that if you earn over £30k you are skilled, and under you are not. So young nurses, junior doctors, physiotherapists are unskilled. Great.

rangercol likes this.
  14. DT’s Socks

This week’s episode appears to be a lesson in the No Deal

3,500 troops on stand by why put a number on this statement? Why not say 78,000 troops go the whole hog because it’s closer to the figure we would need ... use all we have 78,000

15. DT’s Socks

It’s a week of inventing numbers I think we will see a lot more of these stupid figures released
    £30k is crazy as that wipes out living in London also

16. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Brexit negotiations have finally arrived at the "100 day brinkmanship" stage. Just heard German MEP Elmar Brok on Sky announce that if there is no deal, all 1.3 million UK citizens in the EU will be deported (frightening to hear that said in a German accent!). He didn't say anything about the 3.8 milliion EU citizens living in the UK.

Such a load of bluff and bollocks coming out at this stage. A typical EU negotiation. Yanis Varoufakis has written about how the EU will always take things to the wire to intimidate their opponent. Just a question of who blinks first. Time for Theresa May to show she really is a bloody difficult woman.

rangercol likes this.
  17. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

That's wrong for a start. The £30K skilled worker thing doesn't incorporate Nurses /Doctors and other types of workers.
    If you are going to post this at least be honest with the facts.

18. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I heard that. They are now using people as human shields. Their true colours are shining through now Goldie. People still want to be part of an organisation that bullies? Did you notice what he said was important to discuss…. ‘The money’…says it all.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  19. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

You're dead right about bullying, Ellers. Varoufakis said the EU did the same in the negotiations with Greece. You have to stand up to these people, just as you stand up to any bully.

rangercol likes this.
  20. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I listened to a really interesting radio program last regarding a no deal brexit and most of the people were saying it would hurt the EU more especially if we don’t give them the money.
    After listening to Elmer comments I am actually more adamant of leaving. Remainers need to wise up and see these people for what they are?

Goldhawk-Road likes this.