1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Pearson Audition

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Sep 22, 2021.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Kasey Palmer fails Nigel Pearson audition but teenage Bristol City midfielder grows in stature
    The main talking points from Bristol City Under-23's 4-1 defeat to Peterborough United at Ashton Gate

Performing well but spearheaded by poor finishing, wayward spells of concentration and slow starts - all phrases that could be thrown haphazardly towards Bristol City on occasions this season.

But it was the Robins Under-23s who subscribed to the above after a disappointing afternoon at Ashton Gate saw them lose 4-1 to a lethal Peterborough United outfit .

Nigel Pearson watched from the Lansdown Stand but left before the end, witnessing Alex Ball's side concede twice in both halves and surrender a decent opportunity to extend their excellent start to the season as ruthless Peterborough made them pay for their profligacy.

Saikou Janneh appeared to leave his shooting boots at home while Kasey Palmer cut a frustrated figure as he struggled to impact a game he should, with his experience and talent, have run.

Palmer fails to pressure Pearson
    The standout name for City was the inclusion of Kasey Palmer. The attacking midfielder hasn’t had any competitive minutes since being used as a second-half substitute in the 3-2 victory against Reading, over one month ago.

The closest Palmer has come to any first-team game time since then has been steady, polite warm-ups on the touchline in front of the watching fans.

The form of Andi Weimann and Chris Martin, who now have 10 goal contributions (seven goals and three assists) between them, has limited Palmer's minutes as, while he isn’t directly competing for either of the two striker spots, in the current 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 that is being used there isn’t much room for an attack-minded number 10 that is defensively vulnerable.

City struggled with organisation in the first-half and Palmer appeared to be in a free role. His movement from the left side of the attack, into the middle and then even deeper into midfield wasn’t helped by such a slow start that saw his side 2-0 down before the half-hour mark.

Even when proceedings did turn and City started to dominate, Palmer’s touch was poor when he found himself in on goal and neither of his two perfectly opportune free kicks troubled Will Blackmore in the Posh goal.

With first team aspirations top of the list and no Carabao Cup fixtures to offer rotational minutes, the 24-year-old could feel like this match was a chance missed.

Janneh's radar a little off
    It shouldn’t be surprising that in a set up that appeared a little muddled in the first-half, Saikou Janneh’s involvement was one that he may wish to forget.

The 21-year-old, scorer of both goals on his full debut against Forest Green Rovers in August, was seemingly deployed as a right wing-back before being moved around. The forward hardly managed to get out of his own half and was tasked with defending much more than he would have hoped.

This allowed the Peterborough left side to push up the field themselves and set up camp in the City half, the way Janneh would have liked to have patrolled the Borough half himself.

He was moved as City expanded into a much cleaner looking 4-2-3-1 with Janneh at the tip of the strike force. He created numerous chances and therefore his positional play, off-ball movement, anticipation and persistence should all be recognised and praised. However, his wayward finishing was below par.

It was almost a cruel joke that Janneh’s final chance of the game proved the first to hit the target, even then he was well stopped by a stubborn Blackmore.

For all the opportunities, with Pearson currently sitting on a partnership that is coming good in the Championship, Janneh would probably have had to score all five or six of his shots to give the manager a serious decision to make ahead of the visit of Fulham on Saturday.

City make a fist of their formations
    Many clubs are known to practice a defined system throughout all levels to promote the positional versatility and clear progression pathway to first-team football for development and youth squads.

Although it doesn’t look like Bristol City have this in place it was interesting to witness the formational jumble that the side experimented with against Posh.

Starting with a team that looked to take a defensive 3-5-2 shape, Janneh’s struggles at wing-back have already been discussed and these summed up the team’s uncertain look about it.

With Palmer moving between positions and Dylan Kadji overrun in defensive midfield there was no organisation in the defence that ultimately led to Johnson Gyamfi being free to score two from open play crosses.

It is also worth noting that Pearson himself has expressed his uncertainty and unwillingness to use a back three (or five) from the get-go. He has said “I’m not a massive fan of going to five at the back unless you’re trying to kill a game off. I don’t think our squad is suited to that generally speaking”.

The change to a 4-2-3-1 certainly worked and was a big part of the masses of chances created towards the end of the end half and into the second.
    please log in to view this image

Bright Benarous
    The brightest spark was the trickery of 17-year-old Ayman Benarous. He, like the rest of the City line-up, were on the periphery of proceedings before the tactical switch.

After that, he started to shine on the left and linked up to great effect with Sam Pearson. Interchanging several times and slicing through the Posh full backs, Benarous’ sharp skills were a bright light on the day.

Although the teenager might be deemed as still too young or slight to be sent on loan or into regular first-team training, his advanced attacking brain was ticking and showed signs of a player that could eventually follow Alex Scott into contention.

It is probably still too soon for Benarous to be thinking about first-team matches, but his smart instincts to latch onto a loose back pass was the first showing of promise.

Having the composure that his teammates missed on the day was the second act of brilliance that saw Benarous get himself on the scoresheet. The youngster also offers the type of versatility that Pearson values, being able to play behind the strikers, deeper in a midfield pivot and also from the left.

He, alongside Louis Britton, Sam Bell and Janneh, is another that will be missing out on the lack of Carabao Cup action, with that being the most likely early route to any senior involvement.

Little impact from Britton
    After Pearson’s honest admission regarding Louis Britton's status last week, the 20-year-old wasn’t given a chance to impress the manager after he left before the forward could have a meaningful touch.

Pearson stated that despite the striker's form at U23 level - 16 goals last season and another three this term - his level of fitness doesn't make him ready for first-team training, let alone matchday consideration.

Britton was only given 16 minutes as a second-half substitute on Tuesday, by which point City were 3-1 down and any attacking momentum earlier in the half had evaporated.

Although the game was dwindling out, with a point to prove and the physicality to tower over most U23 players - and he really does stand out in that respect - Britton’s lack of time on the pitch and the ball will have been another disappointment on an afternoon in which the home side suffered for their lack of penetration.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/kasey-palmer-pearson-bristol-city-5950150

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

For me Kasey Palmer is another Jet wasted talent.

Don't think he is a NP player another to go me thinks.

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Its a shame as from what I've seen of him he has genuine ability and as the report says, he should be a stand out player in Under 23 games, especially with Nige looking on.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I always thought you said that NP always gets the best out of players.......I know it's what you would be saying if he was on form!!

Must admit, I am disappointed as he defiantly has talent. Maybe with the setup we have, his head is not in the right place..
    I know you should play at the top end of your game at all times, but not sure U23 games for someone like him, will bring out his best..

5. Red Robin

Clearly not impressing NP and as NP has said they need to impress to get a chance in the first team-For me KP has flattered to deceive and on big money.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  6. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Agree. He’s one of those players that clearly has talent but for some reason just can’t produce it regularly. A Tomlin type. As you said a big wage too.

7. Red Robin

Another Jet - I remember being at Brum when him and Afobe ran the show never seen him do it since.

Jiffie likes this.
  8. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Sorry that is just wrong, I know you still like to get the odd dig in but he has been with us including his original loan for close to 4 years and under his 3rd manager, none of whom could get anything like consistency from him, I have defended him in the past but he has played 66 games of which 12 were for Swansea and his return is 5 goals, 6 assists and 15 yellow cards + 2 ridiculous penalties given away last season. Again how many more chances do we give him? players like Massengo, Pring and Scott have all taken their chances this season and on Saturday Tanner, Wells and Bakinson all took there's. Your comment about him playing in an under 23 game is also wrong, it is documented that Wells asked to play in the last under 23 match and duly scored 4 goals, Palmer played in the same game and was barely ok and obviously yesterday was far less than ok. 3 managers + Cooper at Swansea have all failed to get consistency from him, what would you do leave him on the bench with no competitive games for months?
    It was a poor signing and judging by the sporadic amount of appearances under LJ not a player he ever wanted to sign permanently.
    It is up to the player now end of, I suspect he has been coached to the enth degree by LJ and his coaching staff, Holden and his coaching staff, Cooper and his coaching staff and now Pearson and his coaching staff and it ain't working. 4 years is long enough.

9. Red Robin

Think he would have gone if Nige had his way-but i would imagine wages were the stumbling block.

10. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Perhaps Diedhiou could in a good word for him?

Red Robin likes this.

11. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

The likes of Adulaken, Massengo and Palmer have immense ability.
    It's sometimes a mystery why some progress and others fall by the wayside.
    It was ever thus.

12. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Didn’t do much to impress me in his loan spell, and certainly did not understand why we paid 4 million for him. I did hear he was different gravy and should be played more though

AshtonRed likes this.
  13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

14. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Adelekum? I never saw that immense ability and seems to have found his level at Lincoln.

Massengo was a kid and needed to beef up, especially given the step up in physicality between French and English league football.

Palmer has got ability, no doubt about that, but is totally inconsistent and makes far too many mistakes in dangerous areas by trying to be too clever.

15. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

HNM you could always see the ability there, like you said needed strengthening. We did burn him out by playing him too much at 17. Then when Holden came in had no idea how to play him or fit him in.
    Then we had that stupid idea to do a swap deal for that Brum player. Thank **** that went belly up.
    I will give Nige all the credit in seeing what a large majority saw and how to get the best out of him.
    Adelekum, you’ve summed it up 100% looked a fish out of water here. Should of gone way before we decided Szmodics was carted off.

AshtonRed likes this.
  16. Redprintt

'Adelekum? I never saw that immense ability and seems to have found his level at Lincoln'.

I didn't either but some thought he had potential. Tbf someone must have seen ability and potential - anyone who makes a league debut, even at Scunthorpe, aged 16 must have something.

'Massengo was a kid and needed to beef up, especially given the step up in physicality between French and English league football'.

Yes.

'Palmer has got ability, no doubt about that, but is totally inconsistent and makes far too many mistakes in dangerous areas by trying to be too clever'.

Yes.

Nevertheless it's a mystery why some with ability progress and others fall by the wayside.

17. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

How about EGO bigger than ability?

18. Redprintt

I like to look a little more charitable.
    Sometimes, certainly in my experience, some players develop later than others.

19. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Palmer is 24 years of age and been playing at this level for 5 seasons.

20. Redprintt

I agree about Palmer and his salary adds incredulity.
    Pearson will need a Damascus moment to get Palmer back in the starting eleven.
    I live in hope.