1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The North east

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Comfy, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

Apart from newcastle link and their love for Bobby Robson (not) its not bad

2. The Berk

The Berk Well-Known Member

.... is one of If not the best regions in the country. Fantastic coastline and beautiful scenery inland, Durham and Newcastle are two cracking cities to visit in their own right, Sunderland lacks in being as attractive as those but then offers the river walks that carry on through Roker, Seaburn and on towards Shields if you can be arsed. The council should be ashamed for not trying to make Roker and Seaburn a tourist hotspot, . Weardale, Kielder the list is endless. And for those not familiar with the area try the Fawcett Street Inn, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

3. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Don't live there anymore, but immensely proud to come from the North East and ever since I left the region i've almost become an unofficial tourist advisor singing the areas praises ...For me the difference between a nice place and great place are the people and this is where the NE scores...simply the best

4. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

That’s me as well. Left when I was 17, never returned to live there but still regard it as home 36 years later. Best part of the country by the proverbial country mile.

5. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

They are clearly trying to make the Seaburn area of the coast a nightlife hub now, load of places opening including a Stack, which if the Newcastle one is anything to go by will be a great idea and success.

Its always bothered me that we haven’t tried to capitalise on the fantastic coast the city has, 2 genuinely fantastic beaches, long, sand, the city should have been using those as a selling point for years.

RTB, The Berk and Gil T Azell like this.
  6. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Left South Tyneside for Teesside in 1968 when the new Teesside boundary was formed and within a few short years realised that Middlesbrough would get everything whilst it's near neighbours Stockton and Thornaby lagged miles behind.
    The same happened between Newcastle and Sunderland, the Metro system springs to mind, and an unfair distribution of wealth went on unabated for years.
    Neither set of poor neighbours have ever caught up to this date and I not only dislike NuFC I dislike how it's Newcastle that's held up as the megacentre of all that's good about the area.
    As others have said the area has bits of outstanding beauty and the friendliness of the locals is internationally renowned.
    I dread to think what would happen to Sunderland if Nissan went and moved away.

Evil Jimmy Krankie, Comfy and Norway like this.
  7. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Newcastle always had and always will have an advantage due to being directly off the A1, A1 to my car park in the city centre is less than a minute, Sunderland city itself is what, 5-10 mins off the A19 even in good traffic.

Its always held the city back in terms of attracting certain types of businesses, but the city council is directly responsible for how far.

The 2 cities are like chalk and cheese to look at, there’s land that can be developed around the city and all the way up to Hylton Road but it’s just been left as a ‘small town centre’ to serve a City. Could have been easily extended across the Vauxhall’s site and up to Hylton road, and even straddled the bridge, but nope, we will just put rents up and end up with a load of empty stores instead.

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  8. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

The North East in an interesting area. For me, it offers very little career wise as the money just isn't there (despite some massive infrastructure works going on, on the A19 etc) but it is stunning. I love living up here. The people are second to none and some of the best moments in my life have happened up here. I couldn't and wouldn't live anywhere else (despite the Mrs wanting to move to York <laugh>).

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I thought you already lived in York? Ha.

10. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Nah I've lived in South Tyneside now for about 4 years. Moved up to be with the Mrs.

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Ah ok. So she’s dragged you up her to now try and shove you back?

Thats senoritas right there pal <laugh>

12. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

<laugh> pretty much ha. Think she feels sorry for me driving back and forth from Leeds everyday ha

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Ah that makes a bit more sense if you’re still working in Leeds. Not a bad drive as such just a pure bastard if it’s busy coming off the A1 for the city.

QWOP likes this.
  14. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Are they still planning on closing the airport and moving it down to the Peterlee area?

Vincemac and cumbrianmackem like this.
  15. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

The whole coastal area from 'Sheels with a gap to Whitburn, though Seaburn and Roker to the Marina is blinking lovely, and more should be done to highlight/promote this part of Sunderland to other parts of the country (as well as to us living here) :emoticon-0148-yes:

I cycled to Seaham harbour yesterday (as I did last week and I will next saturday, weather permitting), stopped there for a cuppa (at The Lookout) and detoured (magical mystery tourish) back to 'Sheels via various parts of Sunderland, and compared to the aforementioned coastal route Seaham is terrible . . . . like shopping at Aldi compared to Marksies.

We sometimes don't realise how nice our area is, being a cyclist helps me to realise this 'cos I see and appreciate things that I wouldn't if I only travelled by car, and we should enjoy it when we can :emoticon-0105-wink:

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

The coast is absolutely stunning mate, all the way through right up to Northumberland. I can barely think of a better piece of coast on earth. If England had weather we’d be a massive tourist hotspot for the whole world.

On the flip side of that, I don’t suppose any of us want to be the Benidorm of the UK so in some ways the wind and rain is a blessing.

17. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

With me living in the Lakes and reading these stories I can’t quite understand why you vote the same s hit council in all the time?

18. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Lack of options I’d assume. The damage is done now anyway we can’t rebuild what they e allowed to be knocked down.

Needs a bit of foresight and focus on the positive areas of the city, which are plentiful.

The town centre simply isn’t fit for purpose with the population size, but with retail being strangled anyway that’s a difficult thing to change right now.

19. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I suppose my question should of been why did you vote the same s hit council in all the time?

20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

That I cannot answer mate. I’ve not been in Sunderland to vote for 21 years.

rooch 3 likes this.