1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Jan 1, 2024.

1. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Greg the leg was literally our best kicker in years. He had a bit of a blip last way midway through last season but he overcame it, which shows resilience. Unlike Blair Walsh who never came back from that miss against Seattle. Plus he set a franchise record for field goal length.

I feel like kickers are like medics in team fortress 2: if you're doing well nobody says a word but when you make a mistake everyone is on your back

Yes I main as a medic

2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Considering the Vikings history with kickers, Joseph wasn’t that bad in the main. Ultimately kickers get binned pretty quick if they miss a few as it’s seen as an easy job.

The odds are out for next season and the Vikings are comfortably last in the NFC North, not really a surprise. The division should be pretty open between the Lions, Bears and Packers though.

3. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Cringe tweet from snowflake former backup quarterback for the Vikings who apparently doesn't understand how calenders work

4. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With all the talk of the Vikings trading up in the draft, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they kept picks 11 and 23, take Penix at 11 and use the 23rd pick for defensive help. Or at least if they trade up, not as high so they keep the 23rd pick. Trade number 11 and a second or third rounder in the 2025 draft for maybe pick 7 or 8.

It seems Penix is somewhat flying under the radar compared to the likes of Williams, Maye, Daniels etc. The main concern with Penix is his injury record - it's not good. But I think he's worth taking if we can keep pick 23 as well.

5. Saintmagic

Yeah my preferred option is to take Penix I think. Ideally they take defence at 11 and then trade up to like 18 from 23 and get Penix.

I think there are loads of possible scenarios for the Vikings this draft. Without knowing how they rate the QBs it’s very hard to know what they will do. From the moves they’ve made in the off season my guess would be that they really like Maye, but if he isn’t there at 4 would they still trade up to get McCarthy/Daniel’s? Would they offer as much as maybe the Broncos/Raiders or even Giants would to get to 4?

I get that you need to take risks to possibly get the franchise QB, but to get to 4 with so many teams QB needy is going to take at least both their firsts this year and their first next year. The first next year looks like it could be as high, if not higher, than this years at the moment so it’s a big price to pay on someone who might flop.

The guy I really wanted them to draft at 23 if they kept their picks just got arrested for a DUI so that will make him fall in the draft. They might be able to get him in the fourth round even which would be great from a playing perspective, obvious questions about his character though

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not sure Penix will fall that far TBH with so many teams needing a QB. I think we'd have to use our top pick on him.

7. Saintmagic

You may be right, at this time it’s all rumours and smoke screens put out by teams about who they like and who they don’t etc. Like the summer transfer window in football, loads of bullshit that’s hard to know what’s true and what isn’t.

If I had to guess what would happen I would say that the Vikings will try and move up to 4 but another team will offer a better deal. The question will be if the top 4 picks are QB or not, it’s never happened before.

If it goes something like Williams, Daniels, Harrison, then someone not called the Vikings takes Maye at 4 then I think they will trade up to 5 and get McCarthy.

If the top 4 picks are all QBs and the Vikings miss out then it will be interesting how they go. They do have Darnold who was considered elite when he came out of college (like a lot of the QBs in this draft are aswell) so might look to pick best players available at 11 and 23. If they get Penix or Nix at one of them then so be it.

8. Saintmagic

Only a couple of days away now @tomw24, decided what your preference is for the Vikings this draft?

I don’t think I’ll be unhappy with any outcome except for one (which is an unlikely outcome). They trade up and take Daniels, giving away next years first whilst doing so. And even that is not the end of the world in my eyes. Daniels is a good player and could become a very good NFL QB, but he does not suit O’Connell at all and would either have to massively change his game or O’Connell his play calling. As long as he isn’t completely ****ed after an awful first year in the league, and then O’Connell gets fired he could still be very good longer term under the right coach.

But yeah that scenario isnt very unlikely as I don’t think Daniels makes it past 3 at the worst and because he doesn’t fit the Vikings current coaching staff at all I can’t see them specifically trading up to get him.

Every other talked about scenario (trading up to 3 and giving up next years first for Maye, trading up to 5 using the 2 firsts this year for McCarthy, trading up slightly to like 8 for McCarthy and keeping 23, staying at 11 and 23 and drafting defence, staying at 11 and 23 and taking Nix/Penix and defence, trading back from 11 to like 16 and getting Nix/Penix, defence at 23 and an extra pick on day 2) I’m comfortable with all of those tbh.

They say it takes 3 years before you can really judge a draft so I’m happy to go with the wait and see approach

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Let's go Bruins!.....oops wrong thread.

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Vikings have actually put themselves in a very flexible position with the trade they made with the Texans in getting a second 1st round pick. So it's really difficult to guess what they're going to do. I think it depends on just how much the Vikings like Maye. If they feel he's their franchise QB of the future then they'll make the trade with the Pats, no matter what the cost. If they have doubts, then I suspect they will trade to number 4 or 5 and get McCarthy or Maye if McCarthy is taken.

11. Saintmagic

Yeah it’s one thing I give Kwesi some credit for, he does address most of the holes in free agency so he’s not forced into something in the draft. If the price to move up is too high, take Nix/Penix and one of the better defensive players and start Darnold for the year.

Tbh I think Darnold will be the starter regardless who they draft

12. Saintmagic

There’s also some ITK who apparently is very reliable for Vikings news who has said they have already done the deal with the Pats for the number 3 pick as they like Maye/McCarthy and wanted to make sure they were guaranteed one of them. He was confident it was going to be McCarthy up til about a week or so ago but has now changed and says he thinks it will be Maye as the Commanders are taking Daniels

13. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think he'll certainly start the year as the starting QB. And then it will depend on how he does and how the QB we drafted is developing. The advantage of drafting Maye or McCarthy is that they're only 21. Penix is 23, Nix is 24.

14. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That would be very good news. I'm fairly certain we would have had to part with next year's first rounder as well as 11 and 23 this year but all I'm hearing is that the Vikings are sold on Maye. And he would fit the Vikings perfectly.

15. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Wrong thread...(again)

16. Saintmagic

I fluctuate between thinking giving up next years first is a terrible idea and a huge gamble when the team will likely be picking high again. To “well it’s a great place for a young QB to develop with the talent on offense and a former NFL QB as head coach and a former top 3 pick (albeit one who was a bust) on the team, so if they really like someone just go get them”

As I said before I wouldn’t hate the idea of giving up next years first, as long as it’s not Daniels. Time will tell if it’s a good move. Historically it’s not but there have been some successes

17. Saintmagic

The Broncos have also just traded for Zach Wilson so might not be as keen to give up loads to move up to 3/4/5 and see if a change of scenery will help him reach the potential teams saw in him to take him second overall

18. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If we were to trade up to 3, extending Jefferson would be a must. There's no point giving up a load of draft picks for a franchise QB and then losing your star WR. I do think the extension will happen once the QB situation has been resolved.

19. Saintmagic

I agree. They will have the money to pay him with a QB on a rookie deal aswell.

Just have to wait and see what happens if they don’t get one of the top QBs as I can see Jefferson not being too happy with the situation.

There is an argument for trading him due to how much he wants and this being a very deep wide receiver class, but I don’t think the Vikings will consider it. There is talk of potential WR1 players being available in the third round which is pretty unheard of.

20. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The WR class may be deep, but Jefferson is the best in the business for me. He's better than Hill as far as I'm concerned.