1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Jan 1, 2024.

1. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Not the most exciting signing ever but hopefully it is just a stop gap.

On the bright side, if we are playing the Cardinals at Tottenham and with Sam as our QB, demand for tickets won't be huge so hopefully might be able to get tickets to the London game....

Also rumours of Aaron Jones, that would be good

2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah they definitely will draft a QB, the question is whether they go for one of the top 3 which would require a lot to trade up. Go for McCarthy who they will trade up for, but probably not as far and therefore won’t cost as much. Or whether they go for Penix/Nix which means they could probably trade back and get some additional capital.

But it looks very unlikely they will be picking at 11 either way, trade up or trade down seems nailed on at this point

3. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Aaron Jones to the Vikings!

4. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One year, 7mill. He's coming off an injury hit year but he's a good RB. Could be a steal.

5. Saintmagic

Lots of talk the Vikings are giving up basically everything to move up to 4 to select McCarthy.

Not a move I would make as I think they have too many holes and regardless of who the QB is next season there is a very good chance they will be picking high again so would be annoying to have to give up next years first.

If they had lost that **** bowl against the Raiders they won 3-0 they would be picking at 6 and in a very good position to get McCarthy without moving at all

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Vikings have acquired the 23rd and 232nd pick in the draft, sending picks 42, 188 and 2025 2nd rounder to the Texans.

7. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Surely this is ahead of the Vikings trading up for a QB.

8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe Vikings are thinking of top 3. Picks 11, 23 plus next year's first rounder. I think the Pats would move out of number 3 for the right deal. And I think Maye has more potential than McCarthy and is more likely to be worth the trade.

9. Saintmagic

But no guarantee they get Maye at 3. The Commanders just traded their only QB so are definitely picking one at 2, could be Maye or Daniels

Having no first or second rounders this year or next, aside from a rookie QB, is pretty mental when the roster is as thin as it is. And getting QB3 in this years draft if they do move up to 3 is not exactly super appealing to sacrifice that much imo.

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maye or Daniels, I'd be happy with either. Having no 2nd rounders next year isn't as bad as it sounds when we will likely have 3rd round compensation picks for the departures of Cousins and Hunter.

11. Saintmagic

Right now I’m more in favour I think of picking at 11 and taking one of the best defensive players as they should have a good selection.

Then at 23 take Nix or Penix.

They could be able to trade 11 and 23 to get number 4 and take McCarthy then and keep next years first as well

I just don’t like how much you have to pay to get into the top 5 in the draft. The success rate of QBs there is very low and can **** the team up for years if you have given up lots of future draft picks. Doesn’t help that Kwesi has ****ed the last 2 drafts so the roster is very thin. They will have a lot of cap room next year to be aggressive in free agency to give the rookie QB some tools in their second season though

12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One thing to bear in mind is that the Vikings are forecast to have a huge amount of cap space next year - inside the top 5 in the NFL I believe. Now, Jefferson's extension, assuming it happens, will take a up a large chunk of that. I think Darrisaw will be eligible for one as well. But we'll have plenty to spend on FA's.

Looking at the 2025 draft QB market, I don't want us trading up for McCarthy. I don't think he's good enough to justify a top 5 pick. I also think NE will be eyeing that market. There's some good QB prospects there and I can see them planning for that draft.

13. Saintmagic

Another factor is that this is year 3 of Kwesi and O’Connells reign, and they have 4 year deals. I don’t think they will want to be going into year 4 with a rookie QB. They might think **** it and go all out this year to get someone knowing that if it fails they won’t be around anyway for future drafts where they don’t have top picks

Anyway will be interesting to see what happens. From the rumours floating around they really like Maye so if he gets to 3 then I think they make a trade, if he doesn’t then I think they let the Patriots take Daniel’s and try and get McCarthy at 4 or 5. The Giants could also be interested in moving up and they have the 6th pick so teams might be more interested in trading with them as they don’t move back as far. Both the Cardinals and Chatgers look set to go WR and all the top ones will be gone if they move back to 11

14. Saintmagic

Patriots have said the price for the Vikings to move up to 3, according to local media

11 and 23 this year, plus a third rounder which the Vikings don’t currently have. And their 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks next year, and they don’t have a second next year

So basically it isn’t happening. Not surprising given the Patriots situation. They have an interim GM trying to get the job full time so he won’t be fussed about getting future capital he can’t spend. Kraft their owner is 82 and wants success so this is a great chance to get a possible game changer QB so wont want to give that up either

Looks like it’s McCarthy at 4 or 5 if the Giants don’t beat them to it

15. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's really ****ing stupid from them if true. One QB isn't going to fix their issues. They'd be better off getting more 1st round picks and rebuilding ahead of the 2025 draft, where they could potentially get an even better QB. TBH I'm rather sceptical those reports are true.

16. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fields has been traded to the Steelers. So if there was any doubt the Bears were taking Williams with the 1st pick, they are now gone.

17. Saintmagic

Yeah but it is the hardest position to fill, so giving up a top pick in a class which supposedly has 3 QBs who project to be good players at the NFL level is going to cost a lot.

You can point to the 2025 class but things can change loads in a year, no team is really thinking they are going to be awful and have a top 5 pick at this point, unless they are deliberately trying to tank which the Patriots aren’t. The reality is there are 3 good QBs and the Patriots are in position to get one, it will cost **** loads to move them off that. Usually there is room to manoeuvre a bit as not all the teams picking early need a QB

18. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

New Netflix series coming by the producers of quarterback. Called receiver. Includes JJ so might be worth a watch.

They didn't go for a mix like with quarterback, they're all big names. And there's like 5 of them which seems odd given there will be more limited time for each in an episode. Three as in quarterback seemed good.

19. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Greg Joseph has signed for the Packers. <diva>

20. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well, former Welsh rugby star Rees-Zammit has impressed enough to get a gig at the Chiefs. It will be very interesting to see how he gets on.