1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread The GP Down Under

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Apr 7, 2022.

?

Who will finish first?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2022.
  1. Charles Leclerc

30.0%
  2. Carlos Sainz

30.0%
  3. Max Verstappen

30.0%
  4. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lewis Hamilton

10.0%
  6. George Russell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Fernando Alonso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. moreinjuredthanowen

Nah, cos it'd be all,politics again. It's bad enough listen to verstappen lies about car today never mind going back to radio wars.

If we get a good hard racing season I'll be happy

2. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Having the old guard being challenged by the new generation is what we’ve been waiting for for years. The young ones will take over in the end, the future is theirs. But in the meantime I want to see the generations fight it out.

Justjazz likes this.
  3. moreinjuredthanowen

Not really. I've been waiting for close racing and team having to push all race personally.

We seem to have it now. Not much fuel saving and cruising going on as cars are much closer so far.

I've seem plenty of old v new over the years but the show has been endurance and hyper mining for far far too long.

Let's see close racing between whoever is competing.

Oh and keep the whinging off the radios.

4. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

With the car that he has and without any issues he’ll be 4th minimum

5. eddie_squidd

Depends on how you look at it. You can equally argue that we only have Hamilton and Alonso for that matter, out of the equation because they don't have the equipment right now. Alonso certainly demonstrated that today, only let down by a hydraulic failure. They are not spent forces.

What we want is all the drivers able to fight it out. The new cars are great and they do offer the possibility of closer and more exciting racing. We also have a whole squadron of super-talented super-exciting young drivers. I want to see them have to fight it out of the old guard's hands. I want them to earn it against the best and then become the best themselves.

The reality is this isn't always what happens with F1, and often it is changes in technical regulations that bring about large changes in the competitive order. That's fine, and normal. But to say "Well I'm bored of you old drivers, just get out and we'll have the new ones" is nonsense. If you want it competitive, then you want the best drivers able to fight.

Justjazz and SgtBhaji like this.
  6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

That was a huge lap from Charles. Max looked like he might dip into the 1.17s if he threw all caution to the wind, hence the lock ups and small mistakes. Charles just nailed that solid.

7. Le Tissier's Laces

Shame for Carlos - he’s an excellent driver, but it reminds me a little of Coulthard/Hakkinen. I don’t see many on that grid, other than Max or Lewis, that can live with Charles’ pace.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

Didn't say that.

I said I want real racing not new v old as a thing. I've seen new v old stories for decades.

When it was Schumacher v alonso for example was it really old v new or did regs just make things a bit boring then

Good racing is too rare. I really don't care if someone is 40, 37 or 21. It's about balls to the wall 2 hour hard racing for me and a bit of drama as they pit wits to get by.

But it's also if I hear one whinge on a radio looming for stewards to fix the outcome its a red flag for me.

9. eddie_squidd

Your original post said something about being sick of seeing them and it being their turn out of the limelight.

"I said I want real racing not new v old as a thing"

Honestly not sure what that means. Can we not have both?

10. moreinjuredthanowen

Mercs not Hamilton.

The tactics are spoiling not racing far too much for me.

Hamilton injects genius into this equation but the car it's there so it's moot. I actually hope there's a rain race like when Schumacher won for ferrari at Barcelona so Hamilton can shot the genius off.

But I'd be just as happy see mercs at the back for wolff and yes if it were turned about and red bulls were at the back that would be just as good but they are not

I honestly don't care who is the driver doing it, I want to see them close and pushing to pass not fuel and tyre saving like last year and the prior 10.

The fuel regs for me should be next to go. Its counter productive in terms of environmental "stuff" to be trundling round with 100kg from the start rather than pit and refuel and again no fuel saving = better racing.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

Another way to look at this is that if we need to be sold on a story, is it really that good a story?

I hope to be to busy watching racing to be following sky's incessant chatter.

BTW has anyone noticed the point for fastest lap in the first two races? Cos honestly I haven't and maybe I need to pay attention more but I have not heard it mentioned due to the racing this season.

Last season it was often all that was talked about for final 10 laps as cars held station.

12. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Norris? He's beating Danny far more easily than Max ever did.

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Possibly. I mean he's a very good driver, no doubt. I'm not sure he's generationally good though, in the way that Max and Charles are. Be great if the Maccas can get up there though so we can check that. He didn't really show to be quicker than Carlos in the same car though.

14. Big Ern

Max wasn't that much better than Carlos in their rookie season, his really good results came from using blue flags to overtake.

15. moreinjuredthanowen

Personally i put store in two things

Raw pace and racing ruthlessness.

Some driver have one or the other but few have both.

Le clerc has both.
    Verstappen has both
    Hamilton has both.

I often piss all over drivers like a massa or a bottas as they are not what I call racers but they just don't go for the little gap.

On the other hand perez and ricciardo have the racing but not the qualifying pace.

Norris is an interesting one to watch imo.

16. Big Ern

Max wasn't beating Danny is qualifying that much.

17. moreinjuredthanowen

No but ricciardo chose to go as he knew horner had a hard on for max.

Since he left he hasn't had a good time in quali at all. Nothing really to be said but that ricciardo is a racer. Love the late braking but it's happening down the field further than it should be.

Last season was great to see for the mclaren team.

ched999uk likes this.
  18. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Australian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton 'does not enjoy' driving new Mercedes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61050081

Basically Mercedes don’t have a clue how to rectify it. Is their look , no side pod approach actually a disaster?

19. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Pretty bad when they freely admit they're at a loss, and seem to have no plan or direction to try address the issue. They need to be looking at how RBR have seemingly found a way to control the ride height at speed through some trick with the suspension.

They clearly have a number of issues, but they have to tackle that bouncing or they're just going backwards as others begin to unlock their own potential.

The car seems fundamentally flawed, and despite their assertion that there is speed in the car, it looks like an unmitigated disaster from the outside.

20. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Did you see the Ferrari, I think Sainz's, bouncing up and down in a big way but they can still get good lap times! So it suggests that the bouncing isn't too detrimental to good lap times.
    I do wonder if Red Bull are just using skid plates to limit the minimum height?
    I did initially think that Merc would be quick once they solve the bouncing, I'm not sure now!! That said, I would have thought that maybe their plan is going to take a while to produce the required parts - maybe new floor? Them saying they don't have a clue I don't believe. They know that if they get too low it stalls so they just have to stop it getting too low by either suspension, or under floor.