1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The General Chat Thread.

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by AKCJ, Jan 8, 2012.

1. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

It is all very reminiscent of the pre promotion season that culminated in the Watford play off defeat. If Rodgers can bring the team back as Pearson did back then and get a top half finish which would be a fantastic achievement then I’ll be delighted and be happy with him as a manager even if I do not like his personality. I think we’ll be able to tell early enough in the season.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  2. AstroFox

AstroFox Well-Known Member

The injuries have highlighted our lack of (experienced) depth in the team, something we'll absolutely need to rectify with the extra European games (and in general if we want to become a regular finisher in the top 6.) Kasper needs to have a word with his dad. Caglar just needs to chill a bit (which usually happens naturally as players age, except if your name is David Luiz!) I think it will be too expensive to do in one season so I suspect we'll struggle to finish this high up next year, with all of the extra games. If we get the right players in, there's always a possibility of the 'Cambassio effect', but getting the wrong players could have the opposite effect. However, I have faith in the LCFC scouting staff who have been pretty damn good at getting in players with the right mentality.

3. JohnTheFox

It seemed that we have conceded a lot of pens this season especially since the restart but even before, both games v Liverpool and Man Utd away and Man City home and away etc so so had a look and wasn’t surprised that we conceded the most (11) in the league this season with 9 being the second most. Whilst some were a joke such as Man City at home where we should have had one if that was, most have been legitimate. Add to that the stupid red cards at the end of the season it shows how sloppy we have been at times despite having an overall good defensive record. A lot of these like the handballs and the Bournemouth and Man Utd ones are the end of the season are just from being chaotic trying to place out from the back and losing the ball and panicking. Definitely something that needs improving on next season as it puts us at a disadvantage especially with the refusal to award ones up the other end for us. Albrighton away at Liverpool comes to mind and Soyuncu at Man Utd away, being rash and in the formers case, not clearing the ball away and the latter barging the Utd player (when you know they’ll flop to the ground) when he was going away from goal if memory serves.
    If one area needs drastically improving I reckon this is it...

4. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

Not playing Big Wes might also help. He was fine against Sheffield United because they didn't have anyone with pace up front, but normally I'm holding my breath when the striker gets near the penalty area.

5. JohnTheFox

Not sure it can be attributed to him (well the last game he was involved) but Soyuncu has given some away and Evans, Albrighton and Ndidi. Just a general observation that we are too sloppy and give the ball away in and around the area we will make these mistakes. Surely Brendan will pick up on this and highlight to them.

6. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

I think we'll struggle to finish as high next season with the demands of a European campaign. Our injuries certainly highlighted the lack of squad depth, quality of depth anyway. Although the younger players have another season at PL level and will continue to develop their levels.

Only 6 weeks to go :emoticon-0140-rofl:

And we'll be joined by one of Fulham or Brentford. As I'm married to a Fulham fan, I'm obviously hoping it's them but Brentford are favourites.

7. Foxy in Foyle

8. JohnTheFox

So from what I can find, Maddison is due back for the start of the season but Chilwell will miss the start as will Ricardo as we know and although Soyuncu is back for the first game, Evans has replaced him in a suspension for the first 3. So transfers aside same defence as the end of the season :emoticon-0107-sweat
    Burnley at home might be the best shout for first game as Morgan will be more suited to playing them than than sides with faster attackers. Maybe Sheff Utd as well as we seemed to do ok against them and maybe Palace away between. It won’t be that but that would be the best start I could imagine to get us through to the end of the transfer window and get Evans and Chilwell at least back...

9. Foxy in Foyle

We start with WBA, Burnley and Man City. Could've been worse.

10. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020

11. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

12. JohnTheFox

Absolutely anything could happen, we are the most jeckle and Hyde team! I really can’t imagine we’ll go down at all but a struggle at the wrong end and potential management change wouldn’t surprise me based on the patterns over recent years. Definitely need to strengthen with the way we ended the season and Europa League. I’d take a top half finish now if offered.

13. Foxy in Foyle

You wouldn't want it to be boring though would you <laugh>
    We're probably many things as a club but it's certainly not ever boring <cheers>

14. JohnTheFox

Too true :emoticon-0148-yes: that’s the thing, a consistent season just gone but same position, points etc would have felt massively different than our way! I can see Spurs being stronger with how they ended and Arsenal surely have to be. Wolves would expect a good year with just domestic games and Southampton are a dark horse as they’ve been very good since the 9-0. I expect same old from the likes of Everton and West Ham who flatter to deceive so if we finish below them I’d expect it to be because we’ve had a shocker not because of them.
    Europa should be fun.

Foxy in Foyle and nzfoxfan like this.
  15. LeicesterWizard

It could be a repeat of this season with those last 3, but we didn't do very well domestically with european fixtures last time, will always look towards 40 points first.

We had alot of players who were excited to play in the CL last time and totally lost focus on the league, maybe Europa won't be such a distraction.

Aim for top 6 again and see what the Europa league brings, we won't have any trouble beating Sevilla <laugh>

16. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

17. LeicesterWizard

:emoticon-0112-wonde

Odd, we have never seemed to have had problems with long term injuries, except the last 6 months.

Are they scapegoating him for missing out on CL?

18. leicesterlove

leicesterlove Active Member

I read that he got blamed for Chilwell and Periera's injuries. Pereira was allowed to carry on playing after he got injured, not sure you could blame him for Chilwell. Only James and Amartey have had real,long term lay offs but neither would be considered regular starters. This was the Mirror I read it in, not sure how reliable they are.

19. JohnTheFox

Rennie has over seen a great injury record over numerous years, most famously keeping everybody fit in the title season. I’m sure the injuries at the end of the season weren’t down to him...

20. JohnTheFox

Didn’t realise that England have Belgium and Denmark in their group for this nations league thing. I’ve got no interest in England but will watch when they play Belgium with our contingent and Denmark for Kasper. Kasper up against the Belgians tonight as well.