1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Chilton Stand

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by SydneyTiger14, Feb 27, 2022.

1. larko

larko Active Member

Looks like Barry Rutter O.B.E, actor from Hessle Road.

https://thereaderwiki.com/en/Barrie_Rutter

AlRawdah likes this.
  2. philhul

philhul Well-Known Member

It was indeed Barry Rutter OBE. Big City fan and a very well known Shakespearean actor ( also appeared in Porridge among other TV & film appearances). Went to Greatfield school before hitting the acting apprenticeship and fame

AlRawdah likes this.
  3. brownbagtiger

brownbagtiger Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, never realised it was him! IMHO his best part was Ackroyd in Astronauts, a very funny 1980s British sitcom set in a forerunner of the ISS. The script was by a couple of the Goodies and some of the plots were based on actual incidents from the Apollo space program. Ackroyd was unashamedly northern, working class and a Rovers fan. It was genius and no one seems to remember it outside me and my mam! We loved it.

4. larko

larko Active Member

Yes Barry or Baz as he was known was in the same year as me at Greatfield, Newton Hall. I recall seeing him in a school play when he was fifteen and his booming voice filled the hall you new he was destined for stardom.

5. Tigger

Tigger Well-Known Member

I don't remember it either but Wiki says it was written by Graeme Garden and Bill Oddie. The script editors were the blokes who wrote the Likely Lads.