1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team V Tottenham

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Proud Fox, Dec 6, 2018.

1. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

As predicted <doh>

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  2. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

I really have splinters in my backside over Puel. We were awful but I can see both sides of the subs argument. I think he has bought in good young players and that given time in a couple of years we could be an exceptional side. However not sure if he will last that long unless we improve our options up front in January. The other problem is if he goes who replaces him. There would have to be a good European coach available as wouldn't want the normal unemployed British dross that is out there.

3. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

I’d say they are OTT but also a lot of Leicester fans are overly negative. He clearly has many faults but if he left now, the club would be in the best shape sonc Pearson. He has a good plan but I wish he’d just be more positive and have faith in himself and the team to provide entertainment and not be as conservative

4. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

The team have no real idea what there trying to do. We have been quite poor all year. Last season Vardy and Mahrez bailed Puel out alot. This year have beaten all the poor sides in the league (Newcastle, Southampton, Cardiff, Huddersfield) and beaten 2 average side in Wolves and Watford. Everytime we play a better team we are getting beaten as we are trying to play them at their own game and we dont have the players to do it

Puel is too 1 dimensional and that he doesnt have a plan B. He got rid of Ulloa and Slimani. The weekend we needed Maguire to come on up front and he brings Okazaki on!

There is a time to play nice and a time to go ugly. He changes the formations miles too much and rotates too much aswell. All this is costing us points and sooner or later his job

5. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Why do you keep on saying you want Maguire up front? When has he ever shown that he is striker?

6. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

The only thing it does is highlight the absurd situation we are in regarding strikers. How much have we spent/wasted on strikers who just haven't cut it? I hope we don't get sucked in to buying strikers from southern European leagues again; we haven't done too well in that area. Is it difficult to find a striker who can play alongside Vardy?

7. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

Puels system is more about 3 behind Vardy. I don’t necessarily think it’s Vardy but more the system. A lot of teams play 3 up top, with two wide men supporting the striker. Maybe this would work

8. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Vardy is a unique player and we would be really hard pressed to find anyone who can stand in for him.

Puel has been trying Gray a lot but no one has patience to let him learn the new position so we need to bring in someone - unfortunately good strikers are a premium.

9. Proud Fox

We are losing 2-0 at home. No one is saying Maguire is a striker but the only way we was getting back into the game was by going ugly and the best chance we had was sticking Maguire up front

Did you not watch the world cup? Obviously Matt Elliott was well before your time

10. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

So you are critising Puel for trying to play for a win rather then just play lump the ball to the big bugger up top?

Spurs had their biggest and most experienced CBs playing and you think that high balls into the box to a non striker would have fazed them one bit?

I have to admit I didn't watch most of the world cup sober so my memory of it is quite a bit fuzzy - how many goals did Maguire score when playing up front?

I remember the likes of Steve Walsh and Matt Elliot going up front and elbowing people in the face as they scored goals for us. Unfortunately that isn't allowed now.

11. leicesterlove

leicesterlove Active Member

Outrageous accusations against Messrs Walsh and Elliott. Two of the noblest players to represent Leicester! They formed a proper rough house back three along with Taggart, great days.

BigFox and Proud Fox like this.
  12. stevefox

stevefox New Member

And steve walsh

Proud Fox likes this.
  13. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Have to admit Puel's tactics and substitutions do leave me baffled ... daftest thing he has done was getting rid of both Ulloa and Slimani and around the same time ... both of them could have caused some discomfort to the Spurs back line ... without Vardy we looked toothless ... apparently he has said he doesn't need to bring in another striker in January ... personally I think he does - especially if Vardy has a continuing niggling injury ...

Proud Fox likes this.
  14. Proud Fox

Play to win? Did you even watch the game? We never troubled their back line once. Had no decent chances. As FF mentioned we are toothless without Vardy. Its called making the best out of what you have

Ranieri was successful because he looked at what he had and worked from there. Other then Pep every other manager in the Prem goes ugly when they need to. Man U chuck Fellaini on as a striker (Shock horror. Desperation sees him play out of position) Liverpool brought Origi on and thrown balls into the box and got a ugly winner against Everton (shock horrror) Tottenham have Llorente to go ugly. Arsenal are an expection aswell as Man City as they dont really have a target man now Welbeck is injured

So I dont have a clue what football games your watching but if you thought we played the win on Saturday your deluded

As for Maguire up front you obviously didnt see England aim for him at every set peice during the world cup. He scored 1, set a few up, had a hand to play in others and caused chaos. Hence why Man U was prepared to pay £70M+ for him

Its basic football been played for years. When you desperate put your tallest player in the box and try and make things happen. We could still be playing now and wouldnt have scored against Tottenham with Puel tactics

15. Proud Fox

And to further prove my point anyone remember when we play Man u at home last season. We put Maguire up front at the end and what happened???????

Oh yeah thats right he scored a last min equaliser by us putting balls into the box aiming for our biggest player

Jesus Bigfox you dont help yourself

16. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Ah this reminds me of the old 606 where if you express an opinion different to someone then half page rant appeared calling you out. That this is from me saying putting on all our attacking players from the bench is trying to win and you saying it isn't and sticking a big bugger up front and playing hoofball is hilarious <laugh>

I am not saying we are playing well, I'm not saying that I am happy with the game, just that I understand what Puel tried to do even if it didn't work.

I would add that Maguire is valued so highly because he is a good defender, not just because he is good at set pieces.

Because Maguire scored one goal last season that is the only tactic we should ever use?

If the past matters then Okazaki has scored much more goals for us so isn't that a better reason for him coming on ahead of Maguire who as I said before is coming off an injury and facing defenders who are really good at clearing crosses?

Either way thank you for taking about the football as all I've been doing of late here is talking about boxing and laughing at a flat earther.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  17. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Ulloa did have a massive mardy fit and dropped tools so getting rid of him was fair enough as we don't want to reward that kind of behaviour.

Slimani is a #9 - can't see him every being able to pay with Vardy but maybe could have instead of him. I am not hearing any good things coming from Turkey about him so maybe he has lost what he had.

We put all our eggs in one basket with Ihneacho and it is coming back to bite us. We d have players in the reserves that might be able to do something - might be worth a shot as what we are doing now isn't working.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  18. Proud Fox

Well your one of the few who understands what he is trying to do. What has Maguire being injured got to do with anything? He was fit else he wouldnt have made the bench. Verthonghen and Alderweireld arent the tallest. And when the best tactic is putting crosses into a big man yea I expect it to be used

Okazaki hasnt scored in over a year. His strike rate is awful so despite him being a striker he isnt the best option to bring on when chasing a game against a good defence.

Puel put all his eggs in 1 basket with Iheanacho. He sold Ulloa, Slimani and Musa without replacing them last Jan. Didnt learn the lesson that he needed to get another striker in then and repeated that mistake again in the summer and looks set to do that again in January

So are you going to tell Jose Mourinho “playing a big bugger up front and hoofing the ball is hilarious”? Its a tactic been used by pretty much everyone for many years and resulted in alot of comebacks

But hey you and Puel know best

19. Proud Fox

Puel was a bad fit for us since day 1. After the honeymoon period ended results havent been too clever. Only teams we have beaten are teams who you would regard as relegation battlers.

As ive said many time. His vision is very good but he doesnt have a clue how to acheive that. Too many poor judgements and decisions cost him

He would be better as a director of football then a manager. Ive always got behind whoever is our manager and ive tried to get behind Puel but too many errors and bad decisions has made that impossible

Time for a change

20. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

As someone who has Man U as their second team, yes it is hilarious in a depressing way that they have to resort to such tactics because they aren't good enough to do anything else any more.

And as for knowing Puel best, him sticking all the attacking subs on the field isn't exactly the most complicated tactic.

Was it the best idea? Hell no - the reason why I found your comment funny is that it is exactly what I thought we were doing with Iborra before I found out that he was a DM. Personally think we should have kept Iborra on the field and moved him up top for the exact reason you want Maguire except Iborra theoretically would work better as he has actually played as a striker before.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018