1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Takeover

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by FedLadSonOfAnfield, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Do you want this takeover

1. Hell yes

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Hell no

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Umm maybe

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

I think they can well afford to spend more Frank tbh, I also think the wages they pay isn't enough to attract top players in the current financial climate in football terms.
    It's no good being a wealthy club if it doesn't flex it's financial muscle.
    I agree they've stabilised the club but let's be honest they got it for peanuts to begin with and if they only want to collect money instead of silverware they're doing a great job.

But they made it plain from minute one that they weren't sugar daddies and the club has to exist within its own means.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ews/liverpool-fsg-stark-truth-behind-12571782

2. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Not to tempt fate with a previous now deleted discussion lol.

Do you mean they As in FSG has the money or the Club has the money to spend more on players and wages? It's clear we spend less on both...just like Spurs who also haven't converted living within your means into a title.

If it's the first then it's never going to happen. They've stated as much.

Did we not record a 19m loss in the last accounts despite revenue increase? I can't remember the details and I'm too lazy to go and look again lol.

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  3. Page_Moss_Kopite

I mean the club, but as we are part of the FSG franchise I'd include them to my comment, if as has been stated by Forbes and Deloitte LFC is the 9th/10th richest club on the planet it's only because the wealth is accumulated and not spent, in real terms(net spend)they've been cheapskates since they got the keys to the club, I'm aware the Suarez and Sterling sales had a big impact on the net spend but it's a small amount for a "rich" club.
    Part of the deal to sell to them was that they either build a new stadium or fully upgrade Anfield, they built the new main stand with the intention of passing the cost on to the ticket buying supporters until they got their arses kicked, so now they're saying there isn't the money to upgrade the Anfield Road end because the fans won't let them up the ticket prices.
    I'm sure the club debt is the money JH loaned the club, could be wrong(probably am)

FSG don't mind spending big on the Red Sox and tbf a big part of LFC's failures on the pitch is due to us not being a single entity and with none footballing people having to much say as to how the club is run on a daily basis.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

IMO.

1. FSG do an ok club fiscally.

2. FSG have shown time and again a total lack of understanding of the sport and the organisation of a club. I am shocked they ever win in baseball given what i see at anfield. They have paid the price twice over for this now and are on klopp and his team who have had to fix a lot of muck.

3. FSG have been disappointed by the fans. IMO they fully expected to be absolutely fawned over for the main stand but the minute the top ticket prices came out they got an awful shock. those tickets were not in theory out of line with other major london based clubs but were well outside the reach of say 80% of the local support. I feel they've actually shelved and long fingered the other aspects of the redevelopment. The club hsop is a minor thing and expected to pay back very very quickly the retouching of the centenery stand last year was preplaned but minor and this year is again minor. (its just a name) The klopp end tinkering is a requirement by law for access. (we should be grateful they did balance the seats out i suppose. I honestly think they are put out by the criticism and are reexamining their commitment.

4. FSg have invested in the training facilities but the missing piece for me is the redevelopment of melwood and how much that will offset the kirkby development.

5. The net spend is 20-25mil per year. it was this before they came in (albeit unsustainable then) Its consistent but its being rapidly overtaken by many clubs and realistically the thing shows on the pitch every week. The good is good the bad is bloody awful. Klopps had two years at it. He's cleaned some up but i am surprised he's not done more. what don't we know here? Is it really that klopp rates klavan and lovren and henderson... or... is he making do?

IMO spurs have had a good long time at it, they are on a certain path and thier team is better than our. in 18months their stadium will be better than ours too. Everton are on another path. Their team is not as good but they'll have the bigger and best stadium i nthe city if they build it. Again another team that can pass us by.

I would much perfer less "business men" and more "football knowledge" running the show. I many ways roman abramovich has torn cheslea down every time he's got a certain way but they deliver trophies. He's not the way. The arabs seem to put top men in place and let them work frankly. City look like a better outfit for the long term.

I just don't think FSG really understand 7 years on what football is about.

5. saintKlopp

The Forbes figure is surely the value of the club? That doesn't mean ready cash, does it? It's referring to the value of its assets. Just because you have a £300k house doesn't mean you can go out and buy a Ferrari to stick on the drive.

6. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Sell the house, live in the Ferrari <ok>

The Deloitte one is also only revenue I think, so doesn't factor in the costs at all.

7. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Nah wouldn't want to live in a Ferrari, besides the obvious size issue, from all I've heard Ferrari's are actually just really fast expensive piles of junk.

Live in the Ferrari and you'll probably have a leaky roof, fluids constantly leaking and instead of having a house with a garage you will have a house that spends most of it's time in the garage.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

All part of the Italian charm..

It's why German cars are do boring. You always know exactly what thry will do.

9. Page_Moss_Kopite

I know and agree about the "club value" and club worth saint, but I'd put it more like owning a stately home and driving around in a trabant.
    Which ever way it's viewed they haven't been over generous in overall terms of spend on players or stadium redevelopment.

They run their beloved Red Sox well better than they do us, plus their sports TV company NESN pay the Red Sox baseball team to show their home games live, win win for the Red Sox.

10. saintKlopp

We're the unloved child, Page - the Ugly Duckling. Better get used to it.<wah>

Seriously, you have to be careful what you wish for, how can we be sure whoever bought them out would be better? At least they run it well enough as a business.
    Maybe better the devil you know, and all that.
    Anyway, I've run out of clichés for now.

Zanjinho and Page_Moss_Kopite like this.

11. Page_Moss_Kopite

But I don't want them bought out saint, I want them to completely separate LFC from their US franchises in their thinking and their ethos on sports, I want them to halt the stagnation of the club, I want them to actually show ambition for the club to be successful, I want them to finish the stadium refurb as promised.

Not a lot really.<laugh>

saintKlopp likes this.
  12. saintKlopp

All good points.
    As the thread was about a hypothetical takeover I was working on that argument, and I think some do want that.
    I think FSG have done a good job with the business side, the club is now valued at what, 5 times what they paid for it? The problem is that they don't understand football. We can't make them suddenly love the game, but they need to make sure that they have the right people in charge over here.
    I do think they've listened to a certain extent, I don't think they're as obsessed with the Moneyball approach as they were, and they did back down over the huge proposed ticket price hike. They listened to opinion on bringing Klopp in, and although we might not be the biggest spenders, we've still coughed up figures that all but a handful of teams would be envious of.
    I agree they need to show more commitment with the stadium, but I'm not a financier so I don't know how practical it is at this time.
    If they are in for the long haul, I do think they've tried to learn - it's just not fast enough to satisfy the fans' hunger for success.
    But as we said earlier (if it hasn't been deleted :)) we're up against it in a league that has several bigger-hitters than we currently are.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  13. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Stop talking sense Saint!

14. saintKlopp

Ok.

15. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Could end up with a #fraud like Moshiri

Zanjinho likes this.
  16. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Good.

17. moreinjuredthanowen

You know what I really don't get about fsg.... they know what to deliver in baseball. How to please fans.... pleasing off fans should mean the exact same.

7 years is a long bloody time to not actually get it done.

18. Page_Moss_Kopite

It's because they ARE baseball people irrespective of their ownership of Boston, we need a man steeped in the club and steeped in professional football to be the public face of the owners.

saintKlopp likes this.
  19. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

You putting yourself forward <whistle>

20. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I don’t think we do. Look at all of the big clubs and how many owners/CEO’s are football men? Arguably Bayern are the only club with ex footballers on the ball but I’m struggling to think of anyone else.