1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sunderland v Dons.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Paolo Di Canio remains convinced his unique management style can succeed in the Premier League and trusts his evolving side will take a significant step forward by knocking MK Dons out of the Capital One Cup at the Stadium of Light on Tuesday night.

Sunderland's manager is in the process of bedding in 11 summer signings, implementing a new style of play and imposing strict discipline, but already the critics – he calls them "crows" – are circling.

The doubters claim the modus operandi that paid dividends at Swindon Town will prove unworkable at elite level. Undeterred, the Italian pours scorn on such theories.

"I'm sure I can get the best out of my players," he said. "I'm good for them and I'm sure about myself. I have already proved this in a different level but in the same country, and I was doing it with some cavemen. I am very good at this.

"I've heard it said many times that I can't manage in the Premier League like I did in League One, but why not? Because of the egos? Why are they different egos? I may never get the popularity of my footballers but I'm sure I'll get the best out of them.

"I don't want to say I'm God and that everyone else is average and I'm going to turn them into fantastic players. But with the discipline I instil I will get the best out of them.

"The ones who are not professional will say it's not fair and invent some stories, because I fine the players who are unprofessional when they behave badly. Some footballers are lazy and less disciplined and do crazy things. It has happened here in the past but the top players will never have a problem if they work hard and do the right things. Anyway I'm never going to change. One day I will be one of the top managers."

Di Canio believes that unpopularity is a price worth paying for raising the collective bar. "I'm not happy being unpopular, but I know it can happen," he said. "This is the modern psychology. The current generation, in life as well as in football, don't want to have stick. If you give them it they don't like you, but one day, if they're intelligent, they're going to recognise that it's for their own good.

"It's important to me that the players recognise I'm fair, that I'm honest when I tell them something. I don't twist words. If you have their respect, if they know what you're doing is for the best, you're going to get more out of them."

Although he is confident Sunderland's rigorous pre-season will pay dividends when winter comes and rivals start tiring, Di Canio acknowledges it may be costing them a little edge right now.

"The pre-season was tough so they are not sharp at the moment," he said reflecting on a home defeat by Fulham and a draw at Southampton.

"The difficulty is that some players can now think, 'This league is tough. We can't win matches.' Maybe they lose some of the belief so I have to convince them that we'll be OK. MK Dons is a chance to build confidence and understanding – and get that first win."

2. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Should be a gimmie imho

3. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

Hiding to nothing really.
    Lose or draw and it`s a major upset, win and we were playing nobody.

4. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

I definitely think we will be taking the cups seriously under PDC.

5. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

What gets my goat is non SAFC supporting football fans giving the bloke nowt but **** but they need to realise that they, as paying fans, Deserve to have every player at their club show 100% commitment in the most professional manner possible. Paolo is trying to install an ethic worthy of this beautiful game. This game deserves nothing but the best yet it's integrity is abused by far too many prima donors, whose massive egos and tiny dicks come before the fans and the very sport they represent. They claim to be athletes yet most of them couldn't hack a real athletes lifestyle like say Mo Farah.

A massive chunk of football fans are nowt but sheep, shepherded by media and fed by the ****e they produce. They need to wake up and realise what Paolo is doing is the best for football not just Sunderland AFC. Argh! Rant over.

6. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

So do I mate. I think he takes winning very seriously.

7. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

We would have played Swansea if we had beat the Boro last season and who knows WE could have lifted the league cup, similar situation in the F A cup.

8. johnh73

johnh73 Member

and this

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Anyone know if it's pay on the gate for all areas tonight, few randoms wanna come along and I wanna get them hooked, I know the crowd will be ****, but if I can get them in the South and get them coming back for league games.

**** the North extension, it's dog **** up there.

10. LFT

LFT Well-Known Member

Some cash turnstiles are open, not sure if they are bumping up the prices for those though.

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I dunno mate I haven't physically paid in years as a card holder, it says £10 adults on SAFC.com without any restrictions, but I don't wanna drag 8 lads down and be up in the gods.

12. Aussie blackcat85

Aussie blackcat85 Well-Known Member

I think we'll win 3-0. Really enjoying the season so far, the positives for me are obviously a point away from home against the saints (that will be a tough fixture for all pl teams), The effort at home against fulham although we got nothing to show for it the Attitude and Will was there. Great game against spurs in pre season too.. I love pdc's enthusiasm, just getting to know what he's about early in the season their's e few things i'm keeping a close eye on. For starter's he's black & white no doubt, although i don't mind this approach in my short time here i believe you always have to leave room for the grey areas.. Doesn't matter what sport i've followed over the years the best managers/coaches are strict but also have a close relationship with their players, This to me will determine weather or not pdc will be succesful with us, i know a big call & obviously also his tactical formations etc etc.. Enjoy the game fella's wish i was there!!!!

13. SC SAFC

SC SAFC Well-Known Member

any links for tonight lads?

Much appreciated

14. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

The best you will do is audio commentary tonight I reckon :sad:

15. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Its not looking good marra

16. SC SAFC

Wounder! I've done nowt all day bar look for a feed.

where can i find the audio commentary ?

Cheers again lads

17. SC SAFC

found audio ! on the safc website

18. Poyet's Eleven

Poyet's Eleven Well-Known Member

Told ya mate

19. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

A mate just sent me what he says is the starting 11 for tonight.

Mannone, Celustka, Colback, Cabral, O'Shea, Roberge, Johnson, Vaughan, Ji, Altidore, Moberg-Karlsson.

20. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Would rather Connor in place of Ji, but generally pleased with that team.