1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

summer transfers

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Apparently we are 1 of 5 known clubs seeking the services of the AFC Fylde keeper Jay Lynch, who is reportedly 1 of, if not, the best keeper in non league right now. He is out of contract so he is hot property.

He started his career at Man Utd. He then joined Bolton, who was in the Prem at the time. Despite being only a teenager, he was on the bench for Bolton 3 times against Liverpool, Man Utd and Everton. He joined Accrington on loan while at Bolton. He was then released and dropped down to join Salford and won the National League North being their number 1 keeper. He kept 53 clean sheets in 127 appearances for them. He was voted best keeper of that league that season. He then joined Fylde and played 85 times and he is one of the reasons why Fylde made the play off final this season, losing out to his former team Salford. He is now out of contract and is wanted by Rovers, Peterborough, Plymouth, Barnsley and Bury.

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Read that we were looking at Jay Lynch, would he come in as backup or first choice if we cant persuade Bonham to sign for us

3. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

If he's that good he won't settle for being second choice.

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Coughlan said he wouldn't know about Bonham until July. So I guess Lynch is the back up then. I think he would be a back up for all the listed clubs who are interested in him. Prove that he is good enough.

I wonder why Salford released him after after winning National League North and being voted the best keeper that season in non league? Surely they would have known he is worth keeping? But then maybe the finances they have, they felt they could get better. But then why did he go to Fylde instead of a league club take a gamble on him?

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Lines has officially joined Northampton, which is their 3rd signing already!

6. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

I recently sold my beloved Triumph motorcycle and I was in a state of depression for a good few weeks after and somehow I am getting now the same feelings regarding this 'transaction' :cry:

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The negatives of losing him....
    Experience of getting promoted
    Experience of L1
    Experience due to age
    Experience to help support and develop our youngsters
    One of our own
    Good character in the changing room
    Was crucial in our return back to the football league

Now some of these are just sentiments. But footballing wise, we are losing out on his experience and with 500 career games, that's experience that will be hard to replace.

The positives of losing him....
    High earner at the club so wages can be used on a couple of replacements
    Not a first team regular
    Having experience often means there is not long left in their career. He is 33. Will be 34 in November. How much longer does he have?

We cant afford a high earner who is sitting on the bench or in the stands. So letting him go if not playing him will be making better use of the wage budget. If he will only be a bit player then its a shame we couldn't give him a dual role. Player coach role.

8. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

It is always baffling to me though when I see other clubs with nothing like our attendance figures securing and holding on to the services of equally like minded players, either they all have sugar daddy's or there is something inherently wrong with the financial / commercial set up at our club.

As an aside, I think that at any other club Linesy would have been a regular on the first eleven team sheet most Saturday's so something must have gone on behind the scenes between him and the management for him to have been sent to Coventry like that.

9. old timer

Thought I read somewhere that he and GC fell out not 100% sure on that but it might explain a few things

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I've heard the same thing about Lines and Coughlan not getting on. I also heard a reason why. Apparently when DC was still here he had an agreement with Lines that Lines would still have a big part in the team and can end his career at Rovers and then join the backroom staff like Mansell. Lines had no plans at all to leave Rovers as a result. But the Coughlan took over and scrapped the agreement with Lines which started the fall out. Hardly Coughlans fault as he now is in charge and has his own plans and wants his own players. But I too would be cheesed off if I was Lines.

Thats even if this story is true though.

11. old timer

We will probably never know the truth of it

Jordan Archer available on free after being released by Milwall

12. old timer

J J O'Toole joining Burton, turned down a contract from Northampton

13. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Sinclair to the saddlers

14. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Obviously wanted to play at a higher level :emoticon-0136-giggl

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

O'Toole and Lines together. Obviously O'Toole wasn't up for competing with Lines to a place in the side.

16. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Yeah, that was probably the truth of it, two year deal at The Brewers as well, nice deal I reckon for the Tool.

17. old timer

Parkes has joined Exeter this Summer

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  18. Stollie

Stollie Active Member

The club is delighted to announce the signing of right-back Mark Little from Bolton Wanderers, following the expiration of his contract.

The deal will officially go through on July 1st and will be subject to EFL and FA approval.

The 30-year old has a wealth of experience in the Football League, predominantly in the Championship, amassing just shy of 400 senior appearances; an average of just over 30 games per season.

Little also has two promotions to his name, first with Peterborough United in 2011 following an impressive 3-0 play-off final win over Huddersfield Town at Old Trafford to send the Posh back to the second tier at the first time of asking.

The second came with our rivals in red back in 2015, as Bristol City achieved promotion to the Championship by clinching the League One title - Little played 43 games in all competitions in that campaign.

Following that promotion, he remained at Ashton Gate for a further two seasons, before moving onto Bolton in 2017, where he has been for the past two campaigns.

Little began his career with Wolverhampton Wanderers and has also represented Northampton Town and Chesterfield.

Manager Graham Coughlan said; "Mark is a player that should be playing at a higher level, he adds good quality and is a real all-rounder so we are delighted to bring him to the club.

"He's got two promotions on his CV, an abundance of experience in the leagues and he knows what it takes to get out of this division."

19. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Ex Bristol City defender, blimey, that could be interesting !

Stollie likes this.
  20. old timer

According to EFL Hub Southend are interested in Stefan Payne, I believe he wanted to be nearer London when he left Shrewsbury, I think Essex is nearer than we are so maybe our luck is changing for the better