1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

summer transfers

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Apr 28, 2019.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Who would you like to see come in, either position or player and who would you like to see out of the door

I would like to say goodbye to our Gks not Bonham, Leadbitter, Lines , Sinclare, Bennet, Payne.

Bring in CD some over 6ft with pace LMF 2 Strikers and attacking CMF or convert Nicholls to that position and bring in 3 strikers

With Kilgour Russe and Matthews that would give us a good size and balanced squad.

Hearing rumours at the last game that Sercombe would probably be on his way hope that is not true

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Too difficult to say right now. Not sure who is still in or will be out of contract.

Bonham apparently is out of contract so I would try and sign him asap.

But this is who I would let go....

GK:
    Slocombe
    Smith

DF:
    Leadbitter
    Craig
    Partington

MF:
    Upson
    Bennett
    Matthews

CF:
    Payne
    Nichols
    Mensah
    Jakubiak (end of loan)

This means we will be left with this squad...

GK: Bonham (if we can re-sign)
    RB: J.Clarke
    CB: Lockyer
    CB: Kilgour
    LB: Holmes-Dennis
    CM: O.Clarke
    CM: Ogogo
    CM: Lines
    AM: Sercombe
    CF: Reilly
    CF: Clarke-Harris

Subs:
    Santos
    Kelly
    Menayese
    Sinclair
    Russe
    Rodman
    Moore

With this squad that is left, we need far more creativity and goals. There are many areas that need strengthening.

3. old timer

Heard rumours that Lockyer Sinclair and lines have deals arranged with other clubs

4. old timer

Interesting item on sky sports transfer news championship players on free transfers Bolton's Josh Vela among many. Bonham's release date is June 30th

5. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I think quite a few clubs would be interested in Sinclair. We don't want to lose Sercombe as well, though.

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Sinclair will probably want to try to hold on until DC gets a new job because I have no doubt in my mind the DC will want Sinclair for his new club.

7. Gastronomic

Sinclair could end up somewhere like Charlton.

A few loan players have returned now, so what do you think will happen to them?

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I hope we get rid of Payne. I don't know how he would recover at our club following last season. I don't know a single gashead who wants Payne to stay. Think we should just cut our losses and mutually agree to end his contract as I can't see us get a fee for him.

I can't see Mensah get any game time with us. I can't see how he will get into the match day squad. So I would also mutually agree to end his contract.

I think Bennett is still a good player. IF he can recapture his form when he originally joined us then I would be happy to give him another chance. I say see what he can do until Jan window and push him on if he doesn't improve.

Matthews to me is a good player and I was well impressed when we signed him. But I don't think GC likes him. I think he will be shipped out.

I hope we re-sign Bonham.

I prefer Jaks to Nichols and Payne but looking at our list of strikers, if we cant get rid of Payne or Nichols, can really afford Jaks as well? Jaks didn't score a lot so do we want him as well as Nichols who cant score and Payne who cant score? We will be back in trouble again due to lack of goals. Also I think Moore will be more involved, if he stays. He doesn't have experience and don't have a scoring record and dont forget Reilly who also don't have a good scoring record. We have a lot of strikers who don't know how to score.

9. Gastronomic

Brentford have let Bonham go! GC should get on and sign him now. We've had so many poor keepers, and he's shown what a difference he can help make to the goal difference.

GreatWesternGas likes this.
  10. Gastronomic

I like Nicholas because he's creative and works hard.

GreatWesternGas and old timer like this.

11. old timer

GC has confirmed that Rovers are in talks to sign Jack Bonham on permanent transfer

GreatWesternGas likes this.
  12. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

At the risk of being made to look a right plonker next season, I reckon Nichols will shock and surprise us next season, and finally find his shooting boots. He isn't as poor a striker as his stats indicate, and I feel if he was not to get himself so involved in creating chances for others, became a bit more selfish in front of goal, his confidence would greatly improve and he could well become a potent striker. Having said that, if I was manager, I don't know if I would take a chance and persevere with him or call it quits and cut my losses. If he does stay however, I feel he will pleasantly surprise us next season.

13. old timer

I would like to see him play as an attacking mid fielder, he has the highest number of assists this season I think and it would take the pressure off him to get on the score sheet, I also believe he has the highest number of shots against the woodwork this season for us. Tom Nichols is a good player and a couple of goals early on in the season would boost his confidence and I believe he would then get goals on a regular basis for us

14. old timer

GC has said that talks are ongoing to bring Alex Jakubiak to Rovers on a permanent basis

According to an article on Bristol live Stefan Payne and Mensah have been told to find other clubs. Matthews wants to come back and fight for his place but Bennett might go to Swindon

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  15. Gastronomic

Hope Payne and Mensah pull their fingers out and get sorted soon. I thought Matthews was pretty good, and if he really fights for his place and adds a few per cent he would be useful. Nichols is a very good playmaker and made a real difference in quite a few games. As long as he keeps creating it doesn't really matter whether he scores.

old timer likes this.
  16. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Matty Taylor might be available soon ...... <cheers>

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

We need to remember though that the Bonham deal will take time. Maybe wont be sorted either way until July. Coughlan said this last week. Bonham's contract don't run out until the end of June and he will be looking for the best deal for him and his family and the fact that he got so many clean sheets last season for us, we will not be the only team in for him. Coughlan added he hasn't given Bonham a deadline but obviously once July comes, he may be forced to look at plan B for a keeper.

Coughlan also said he wants a back up keeper too and that current keeper Alexis will be 3rd choice.

During the same interview (as pointed out already above), Coughlan said they are also looking at bringing in Jaks again. Personally I don't feel he will come back.

Coughlan said he told Payne, Mensah, Bennett and Matthews to look for new clubs. But Matthews was the only one who said he wanted to stay and fight for his place. Good on him. Coughlan was happy for Matthews to stay and see what he can do.

Twentyman asked Coughlan about the Plymouth job as he was odds on favourite for the job. Coughlan said Plymouth has made no contact with him or Rovers and he or Rovers have not made contact with Plymouth. He seemed uncomfortable about talking about that topic.

He discussed Leadbitter, Lines and Sinclair. Leadbitter made the decision for Coughlan saying he didn't feel his body was up for it due to so many injuries. I think that is brilliant from him because how easy would it have been to accept a new deal to guarantee himself a club and income knowing really is body aint up for it. Fair shout to him. Coughlan mentioned that Sinclair had been frustrated with the lack of game time and had rightfully been on Coughlan's back to get chances. Sinclair next season doesn't want to be a part player but wants more involvement but Coughlan couldn't guarantee it as he won't get ahead of Sercombe, Ogogo, Upson or Ollie. So it was in both parties interests to let Sinclair go.

Coughlan got to make staff cuts. Too many backroom staff apparently. He is looking at bringing in Joe Dunne though. Ex-Cambridge manager.

Coughlan said he wants a number 1 and back up keeper, a RB as Partington and J.Clarke may not sign new deals. A CB to replace Lockyer. A winger with pace who can play both wings. A striker who can score goals to take pressure off JCH.

That's 6 players. He said he is only looking at players who will improve the starting 11. Not to bolster the squad.

He spoke at length about Nichols. He believes Nichols will improve and get goals next season. He feels he is still a young lad and the price tag has effected his performances. What a load of crap. If £300k effects your performances, imagine how bad he would be if it was £1 million. He feels a good preseason will give him the confidence for a good season. Personally I think yes he works hard and he has improved with assists, which is not a lot btw, but his job is a striker. His job is to score. 2 seasons with no goals as a striker, he has done very well to get the faith shown in him from both DC and Coughlan.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  18. old timer

Summer transfer window for league 1 & 2 is September 2nd which is a Monday owing to the 31st falling on a Saturday

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  19. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

I always liked Leadbitter and am disappointed in some respects that he will be on his way. I thought the season before last he had great potential but injuries do seem to have done for him this term and I can't help thinking that his physique may have had something to do with this, quick and nimble at times yes but definitely a little lightweight in the undercarriage department and you need pipes like tree trunks to perform well at this level and to avoid constant injury.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  20. old timer

Apparently we are looking at Jack Grimmer ex Coventry who has been told he can leave for 1st team football another 6ft CH