1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer Transfers Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, May 13, 2013.

1. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

should just add to that, i personally would hope we try and sign a better player in this position this summer. i think mccann is good enough for the premier league but i feel the centre midfield roles are the most important areas (holding player and attacking midfielder) to strengthen this summer, and i would like to see serious wonga spent on two players who will be a big improvement on what we currently have. mccann would be a useful player but i'm not 100% sure he'd make a big enough improvement, so although i stated it would be a no-brainer, i've now contradicted that statement! what i meant initially was that for a free, he'd be a great signing for most bottom half top flight clubs <ok>

2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Clint Dempsey rumour stuff going berserk at the moment?!
    Not seen any official source, though.

3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Surely he's out of our wage range!

4. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

It's rubbish, came from a "ITK" account as they all do! I reckon he will be off this summer though!

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Added both rumours. <ok>

I agree with Supers that we really need to get a really, really good signing in the DM position, and I don't think McCann is that. However, as a squad option I wouldn't say no, even if it would spell the end for Fox I suspect. It's like with the Bridcutt interest, much as I like him, he was never really going to be the signing to take us to the next level, but a healthy squad option. McCann achieves the same objective for a lot cheaper. It also decreases the chances of Howson being forced to play a DM role. If we had Johnson, Tettey, McCann and AN "Other" as DM options, then Hoolahan, Howson and "Newlahan" to play a CAM role, I'd feel much more comfortable with the options in our squad. Howson being good at the box to box role would be particularly helpful against weaker opposition, as a quality DM would give him a lot of freedom to join attacks, with another CAM on the pitch too. It'd also help with injuries, loss of form, etc, so I'm not against signing McCann. As a bonus, he's a decent age and I wouldn't imagine wages would be too high either.

Dempsey I can't see being a realistic rumour, as others have mentioned, surely his wages would be too much. He's not really had a great season, and I don't really see him as offering the creativity I'd personally like from a CAM/support striker. Perhaps though if Hughton's focus is on the threat coming from the wings, that creativity is less necessary, and the aerial threat, etc he poses from that position would be more important. Can't see it really happening though.

6. ozgunner

ozgunner New Member

Hi all,

Could i just borrow a minute of your time again? Just doing a 'ask the opposition' transfer edition for an Arsenal website. If possible could you answer these questions?

What area/s of weakness do Arsenal have on the pitch?

What player/s would improve that weakness?

Jovetic or Higuain?

Julio Cesar or Szczesney?

What player would you buy from Arsenal and why?

Anyone willing to give it a go could you please PM the answers, cheers much appreciated,

Nick

7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

8. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Rumour I've heard this morning is Holt plus money for, wait for it ...........................................................................

#

............................... Jordon Rhodes ! <yikes>

9. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

Carlton Cole on a free! Been released from Wet Sham!<ghost>:emoticon-0119-puke:

10. Norfolkbhoy

Norfolkbhoy Well-Known Member

Holt for Rhodes is a bit out of the blue but possible given the geography involved plus our current desire to employ the entire current Scottish squad. I would think his wages could be a stumbling block plus we would then have two strikers with a total of zero PL games and goals between them. That said were they to click they could be a fantastic combination. Personally I reckon the Hooper for Holt rumour is more likely but even after the season he has had I'd still want to hang on to GH for experience, leadership and presence.

11. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

That Bradley Johnson rumour was around a couple of weeks ago and CH rubbished it.

12. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Would anyone here actually take him on a free? If his wages weren't extortionate I'd be tempted just for a bit of depth.

Obviously I'd prefer someone with a bit more quality to come in though.

13. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Not keen on him, but he's not bad at this level, but hard to compare Becchio to him as we've barely seen Luciano.

14. marknemo

marknemo Active Member

The problem with cole being available on a free so early is that if we took him on it may stop us going after someone who is much better as things unfold during the summer. I think he is ok and we could do a lot worse but I think we need to be looking elsewhere.

15. marknemo

marknemo Active Member

I also take on board what others have said about Mccann and I agree. I was thinking of a first team player and Mccann wouldnt be a regular for me and if he was he wouldnt drastically improve anything. He would be good to have in the squad though and if he was free it may allow us to bring in another really quality DM.

16. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

i think that anyone we buy in this window must be an automatic first team starter, i.e, displacing one of our current automatic starters, or a young prospect bought for the future. we should certainly not be looking for squad players in my opinion.

17. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I can see your point, but I guess it's down to how you prioritise players and assign the budget. If you want 2 DM's, then do you spend £4m on Bridcutt and more on the "big" signing, or take McCann on a free, spend bigger on the second, first choice DM, and have more money to spend elsewhere. I agree the first team players are the priority, but then having solid squad options might come before more expensive youth options at this moment in time. At 25, its not like McCann isn't going to have resale value either

18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Good point. <ok>

Realistically, we should be looking to have most of the £46M we got for finishing 11th to spend on transfers/higher salaries, so let's say between £30 - £35M on transfers. IMO, we have our 'marquee signing' in RvW, so I'd like to think we could add another 4 or 5 to the list and spend around £25M to leave a good proportion for the January window should we need to bolster the squad. I'm asuming in this that any of the current squad players won't generate much income if sold.

19. canary_max

canary_max Well-Known Member

JR, won't the budget for the summer / next season be based on next seasons' new TV deal, not the season that's just finished money? hence a minimum of £63M. Last season's would have been mostly spent, although I'm sure we will make a tidy profit again. Either way, it's a load of cash and it'll be interesting seeing the plans play out <ok>.

On a side note, I know he's not technically our player yet, but i saw a tweet on the pink un that RvW has been called up into the Netherlands squad for a tour of Asia

20. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Maybe I'm not thinking in line with our solidified Premier League status, but I'd be wary about spending as much as £35mil in one season. Like I say though, maybe I'm just being naturally cautious, in the same way as we have historically (generally) been.