1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer rebuild 2022 - window closed

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by The Penguin, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

I’m not surprised. I can only hope, rather naively, that we won’t get too many injuries.

We bought Aneke during our last injury crisis, I don’t want to think what happens the next time TS pushes the panic button.

The Penguin likes this.
  2. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Forgetting his abilities, wtf is it all about with signing ex players?

3. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

Especially ex-players who have left us and failed.

4. Butterfield

TS has admitted he doesn’t know much about football.

5. Butterfield

6. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

The only people who will want to take over the Club are asset strippers.
    The Club has no assets left except its players.
    It hasn't been so unprotected and vulnerable to closure since the early 1980's.
    The day after the asset strippers get their hands on CAFC they'll put the entire squad up for sale and padlock the gates. Then default on what is owed to the old Scrote Landlord.

That's the future that the Anti-Sandgaard brigade are gagging to bring down on us.
    We would have been there two years ago if TS hadn't come along and defeated Southall, Elliott & Farnell in court.
    We will be there if TS walks away.
    No Charlton Athletic anymore.
    Then the hate mob will presumably be satisfied.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  7. The Penguin

It's disappointing not to sign a striker, but some of the online reaction is OTT. We're about to have Ms Truss as PM, people won't be able to afford to heat their homes this winter, inflation is going through the roof, the public services including the NHS are on their ar5e, we're in the middle of a drought, Climate change looms large, in the world of politics everyone hates everyone else, but hey-ho let's rage against TS for not signing Macauley Bonne. Bonne is a hard-working striker who misses important chances, and I'd rather see Kanu get a chance, and some fans need to get a sense of perspective.

Ken Shabby and lardiman like this.
  8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I'm actually happier that we didn't get Bonne than if we had got him.

The rationale that anyone is better than no-one has never served us.
    We'll have to have faith in Ben Garner.

9. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Garner seems to be a good appointment, he'll feel let down with the lack of support in the past 72 hours.

Smudger603 and Butterfield like this.
  10. The Elfsborg Sparrow

100% with all of the above, BUT Sandgaard does not seem to be the saviour we were hoping for.

Smudger603 and lardiman like this.

11. lardiman

Forum Moderator

And who is my neighbour? :emoticon-0131-angel
    Luke 10:25-37

CAFC was robbed and beaten by the thieves of ESI, and left for dead at the roadside.
    Cowed by the evil old Scrote who sold us to that den of thieves, some who claimed to be our friend crossed to the other side of the road and walked on by.
    Only a good Samaritan offered to help us.

When a stranger with no obligation goes out of his way to give our Club its life back, I'm not going to turn my back on him if he does not also immediately restore all the riches that we have lost and elevate us back to the heights we fell from because of the years of poor stewardship and misdeeds by lesser men.

We're alive.
    Still shaky, yes. Still very vulnerable. Still unable to stand by ourselves without the help of our good Samaritan.
    But we're still in the game. We still have a team in the EFL and matches to go and watch.
    We owe all that to one man.
    The way that a few of our fans have abused him, from the very day he arrived, makes me ashamed.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Ken Shabby likes this.
  12. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Some of our fan base have been left at a point where they want to protest everything.
    We needed another striker, and frankly not getting one earlier was a mistake. But the market has changed in the last few years, and a lot of the wasters moaning that Sandgaard won't spend, would have been frothing at the mouth in a fortnight if we'd paid 500 000 for Stockton and he turned out to be less effective than Stockley, or (shock horror) got injured.
    Just bringing in a striker who doesn't fit in order to satisfy the twitter warriors is hardly a good business model. But a lot of twitter users probably don't run their own business.
    I've even seen people bemoaning us letting Davison go. In what universe were these people planning to build a promotion squad with Davison as a key component?

The Penguin likes this.
  13. The Penguin

He's "Human therefore fallible" to use Billy Connolly's phrase. Not The Messiah, not even a very naughty boy like ESI. Basically a decent man with good intentions whose heart ruled his head when he bought the club. If it hadn't we'd probably be thinking about AFC Charlton.

14. The Elfsborg Sparrow

I take your point but he is now into his third season and we are moving forward like a steam train rather than a 125.
    Behind the scenes it appears there are cutbacks detrimental to all concerned apart the Sandgaards. His shag is a sort though:emoticon-0152-heart

15. The Penguin

IMO there's too much micro-management, and not listening enough to the right people. Ben Garner is turning out to be a good appointment, but the elephant in the room is always going to be that the Belgian still owns the assets.

The Elfsborg Sparrow likes this.
  16. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Regarding the speed of improvements, there was a huge consensus that the damage done previously would take years to repair. Sandgaard isn't an oil Sheik, but we do seem to be improving.
    As for the issues behind the scenes, it's terrible. My major concern is a successful team, but the way staff seem to be being treated is abhorrent, and it needs a radical change. One thing to cut costs, but another to bully loyal staff.

17. The Elfsborg Sparrow

We'll move from The Valley inside 10 years, Dushitelet was only interested in the land.

18. Butterfield

19. Butterfield

20. Butterfield