1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Stormy weather

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Conspiracy Theorist, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Conspiracy Theorist

Conspiracy Theorist Well-Known Member

I've always been fascinated by adverse weather, thunderstorms in particular. I lived in Eastern Europe for a while and really enjoyed watching the (at times violent) storms, sadly, here in the UK getting a good storm is quite rare in comparison.

I see that the UK weather is supposed to improve this weekend so it's possible the heat will trigger some convective weather though usually anything of note tends to be further south or clipping the Kent coast.

A couple of good sites that forecast stormy weather (for anyone who hasn't seen them)

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/
    this site is usually pretty good at giving the prospects of lightening/thunder within a +24 hours period.

My favourite site is:
    https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#x=;m=oss;r=0;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;n=0;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;ts=0;

This site shows actual lightening strikes in real time, one of the things you can do is zoom into your map/local area when it's convective weather and watch the lightening strike and then view circular expending sound wave of the thunder travel over your house as you can hear the actual thunderclap.

Anyhow, anyone have good stories or memories of adverse weather?

Wor Giacchi likes this.
  2. Sandy Camel

Sandy Camel Well-Known Member

I was in a big thunderstorm in Guyana many years ago. The lightning strikes were vicious, killed one dog and laid an army lass out. She was really lucky; got told afterward it was only because her heart was on the in beat she survived.

Conspiracy Theorist likes this.
  3. Conspiracy Theorist

I would love to visit a Tropical country to experience a vicious storm. It must have been a pretty harrowing experience? Was you outside at the time?

4. Sandy Camel

Sandy Camel Well-Known Member

Aye, outside. Had shelter like, there were open sided buildings with corrugated rooves. When the lightning hit the roof, the electric would arc down and run through the standing water on the concrete base giving a mildish ground shock. The army lass took a direct hit to her watch as she was running to get under cover. I was one of the lads who helped stretcher her into the back of the pick up. That was a bit sketchy tbh, about five of us loading this unconscious lass into basically a big lump of metal with the sky booming and lighting up. Glad to be able to say she made a full recovery. Not sure the watch made it. The camp dog definately didn't make it, poor little barker.

5. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Worst I've ever seen was that downpour a few years back. Rained for about 45 minutes. Water was pushing up the manhole covers and I remember wheelie bins floating down Newcastle City centre. Never seen a sky colour like it.

6. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I was in the US (Philadelphia) when Hurricane Sandy hit the north east of the States. The worst damage obviously was in New York and New Jersey. But the force I witnessed in Philadelphia was the most scared I have ever been, never want to be anywhere near a Hurricane again.

7. Class of 73

Class of 73 Well-Known Member

Belize 1982. Watched a localised storm pass over the jungle (in the distance) the cloud continually flashed and seemed alive; I thought of it as a Tasmanian Devil. Wonderful to watch, but glad I didn’t get in it’s way.
    Some absolute monsters of storms used to rattle around the hills of Sek Kong in Hong Kong; kept well away from your balcony’s........demons in the sky:emoticon-0104-surpr

8. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I thought from the title you were going to post about the famous song!

9. Sydney Greenstreet

Sydney Greenstreet Active Member

the original :emoticon-0152-heart

Sunderpitt likes this.
  10. King Kareoke

King Kareoke Well-Known Member

1976 - the storm that brought the heatwave to an end was a humdinger

11. Conspiracy Theorist

I remember taking a short cut across Tilbury Marshes (Essex) to a mates house, when I was quite young, around 15 years old - I was later going camping with some mates; it was an early start around 4 AM. The weather was horrendous,sticky and humid it was an extremely hot July at that time.

Halfway across the marsh, out of the blue (dark indigo even ), a bolt of lightening struck the ground in front of me, it was more like a dazzling orb or ball , incredibly loud, the ground shook, it scared me senseless, so bright, the flash left an after image at the back of my eyes.

It was probably the fastest I've ever ran, even whilst carrying a heavy rucksack at the time.

Ever since, I have a part of me that wants to experience that phenomena again... albeit, tucked away in a safe environment.

12. Smiler

Smiler Well-Known Member

Lightening on the edges of Seaton Carew right now

13. Conspiracy Theorist

It's all out at sea... lok.JPG
    <wah><wah><wah>

14. Porterfield73

Porterfield73 Well-Known Member

we've just watched the perfect storm, we've nothing but green fields for miles in every direction, and this lightening storm was proper scary! its rumbling around now but the black skies are everywhere

Saf and Conspiracy Theorist like this.
  15. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

bet you supplied CPR for her to survive, but to the lower lips while she was out.............<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Sandy Camel and farnboromackem like this.
  16. farnboromackem

farnboromackem Well-Known Member

Once a Para........<laugh>

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

in these immortal words of Dick Emery, oooh you are awful but i like you..............:emoticon-0136-giggl

farnboromackem likes this.
  18. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Brandon, County Durham.

BAB3D72D-666F-4D19-B5D2-4AE2BA6831DF.jpeg

Nacho, Sandy Camel, mrs em and 4 others like this.
  19. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a night drive across the moors from Whitby to Rosedale a few years back, in a vehicle with a history of breaking down at the wrong times, but thankfully he kept on running that night, then broke down the next day.

20. Wor Giacchi

Wor Giacchi Well-Known Member

I love lightning maps, it's mesmerising - especially when it's thundering and lightning locally.

Check out www.windy.com if you haven't already.. there's all kinds of layers available for different things like wind, waves, storms etc.