1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SQUAD WATCH

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spurf, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

We have a number of posters who are very knowledgeable on the complete player portfolio of Spurs right down to the boys. It's also to be noted how important this source of players is for the first team squad in the minds of the present management.

We have a transfer watch thread which is all talk and very little action so I thought it would be appropriate to have a squad thread where quite a lot does happen.

You will decide whether this is a useful addition or not.

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Onomah - more naturally talented than Winks but doesn't seem to bring the confidence he had at youth level to first team, although was often played out of position under Poch. If recalled and finds his confidence (plus recovers from injury), could be a decent asset.

Edwards - possibly the most naturally gifted skilful young player we have but has a stinking attitude. I look at Sancho at Dortmund and genuinely think Edwards could've done similar here but he seems to have the mindset that he doesn't need to try and ultimately he'll more likely be the next Adel Taarabt rather than say Dele Alli. Really hope I'm wrong though and has a change of mindset, he's a special, special talent.

Skipp - the one many of us are excited about. With our problems at CM, Skipp plays far beyond his years and last season had the perfect manager for his development with Scotty Parker, real shame he left. I think Skipp has the most potential of any of the CMs we have/ have had come from the academy.

Carter-Vickers - not kicked on as hoped, was once touted as a potential Ledley heir, he may still have a shot at making it into our team but the signs aren't great. Can barely get a game at Swansea.

Eyoma - promising young and athletic CB, could say he's more Dave Sanchez than Jan Vertonghen. Long way to go though if he's to ever make a proper case of making it.

Tanganga - big powerhouse of a CB who's strong in the air both defensively and offensively. Personally I'd have said he's a better prospect than Eyoma but seems Eyoma is ahead in the cue.

Sterling - always been a promising young player, scored on his only appearance for the first team in the post-season game a year or two ago. Likely to feature today against Fulham. Certainly has the potential to be more involved in the first team squad, especially as neither Janssen or Llorente have cemented themselves as a great backup to Kane.

Parrott - mega talent who already had a reputation before we signed him. Has been lighting it up in the youths, the media think he may have a chance of being included in the squad at Fulham today but I think at 16 years old, we should probably let him develop a bit further before putting too much pressure on him.

Roles - someone who's seemingly often overlooked, a goal scoring CM but has had a couple injuries which is what has likely held him back.

Oakley-Booth - highly talented CM yet been overtaken by Skipp in the pecking order. Don't write him off though, he's got a good future in the game if he gets his head down and works hard.

Georgiou - like Roles, another who's had their fair share of injuries. Impressed in the pre-season of last season. Natural winger who likes to take on his FB down the left. Nearly 22 now though so it would seem his time is running out in terms of breaking through.

Marsh - bit of an all rounder, doesn't really excel in much but doesn't have a glaringly obvious weakness either. If I'm being honest, I doubt he'll ever become a solidified first team player but you can never be 100% sure in football.

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Brilliant DH that's the kind of stuff I was hoping for. <ok>

paultheplug and Dier Hard like this.
  4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Josh Onomah - has had rotten luck with injuries and being played out of position while on loan, and with Winks establishing himself and now Skipp breaking through he could well be a "What if...?" player for us

Cameron Carter-Vickers - his loans have been very Jekyll & Hyde: at Sheffield United his lack of half a yard of pace on the turn was targeted by other teams, at Ipswich he seemed to be establishing himself, while at Swansea he's hardly been used (although, with Joe Rodon out for six weeks, he may get a run of games)

Marcus Edwards - feels like he's two years behind in his development, which in one part is accurate given his pointless loan to Norwich last season coupled with tonsillitis ruling him out for months, but on the other hand his game is riddled with bad habits such as constantly dribbling into defenders and not releasing the ball when an opening is there, which are reasons why we offloaded Townsend

Samuel Shashoua - seems to have a much better understanding of what Poch expects from his players than Edwards does, as when he has the ball he's similar to Lucas with his dribbles but when the opponents have the ball he's got Lamela's tenacity (but not ****ehousery), and he's certainly developed his physical attributes at Baleares this season - although this likely means another loan next season

Troy Parrott - going to be compared to Robbie Keane until the end of time even though his game is so much closer to Harry Kane's, he certainly seems to have the tools at his disposal although he probably needs more time to work on his physical attributes, something which seemed all too clear given how easily the Nomad U23s were muscling him off the ball last week

Jack Roles - his goalscoring has been consistent throughout our youth system, which is particularly impressive considering he's a central midfielder (even moreso when you consider he began his career as a centre back) who's filled in on the left wing a few times for the U23s this season without losing a step, so you'd think he has the makings of a useful utility player - yet I don't recall ever hearing of him training with the first team

Anthony Georgiou - a seasoned international™ who likes to take on his marker and regularly trains with the first team, although he's missed half the season with injury so pre-season's probably going to be crucial for him

George Marsh - there's been suggestions that Poch rates him because of his tackling (although Adam Lallana really hates him judging by his attempt to rip out his trachea last season...) and he's taken Amos' spot in the U23s as the guy who sits back in the pivot

Kaziah Sterling - often overlooked since the emergence of Parrott, especially after he missed a couple of months of the season through injury, and certainly offers something different up front as he's more of a traditional poacher than any of the other strikers we have

Tashan Oakley-Boothe - his game was compared with Dembele's a year or two ago, yet this season he's seen both Skipp and Marsh nudge ahead of him in first team contention, and it's not helped by him being deployed on the right wing in the U23 games to make up for the Edwards-shaped hole there

TJ Eyoma - his versatility goes a long way as he's got an extra yard of pace compared to most centre backs and he's that bit stronger than most right backs, which is why he's capable of playing both positions

Dylan Duncan - got a few headlines a couple of years back when invited to train with the England team and is the main creative outlet of the U23s, alternating either in the pivot alongside Marsh/Bowden and behind Roles or as the number ten

Japhet Tanganga - reminds me a lot of Sanchez as he's an imposing, powerful presence yet has the sort of footballing brain of a young Ledders, and he's cemented a spot for himself in the England U20s

Paris Maghoma - already has a following from the Twitter/Reddit crowd, he's similar to both Dembele and Sissoko as the midfield wrecking ball who drives up the pitch, and in spite of being just 17 he's a regular in the PL2 and UEFA Youth League teams. Also, isn't it time one of the numerous Maghomas we've had on our books actually played for us?

J'Neil Bennett - a winger who pops up in the right place in the penalty area

Rodel Richards - while he gets overlooked in the U18s in favour of Parrott, he deserves better as he's a lethal poacher at U18 level

Armando Shashoua - has the tenacity and workrate of his older brother, but in the central midfield/number ten role, who is also an on-pitch leader

Dennis Cirkin - has the pace of Rose and the crossing ability of Trippier, so certainly worth keeping tabs on

Malachi Walcott - fast-tracked from the U18s to the U23s early in the season prior to his being injured, he's bloody fast for a centre back and can also take the ball up the pitch like Verts or Foyth

Joshua Oluwayemi - one the one hand it's not a good sign that he seems to have to save a penalty in every game, on the other hand the fact he usually saves said penalty is useful...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

2 more regulars in the academy with potential that I've seen are Dilan Markanday and Phoenix Patterson

6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Not my problem...I was given two options

Chelsea
    City

I went for City

Nice 3-0 win for us today :)

7. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Good thread. I don’t get to see any of the players that are not in the first team, so an appraisal of their progress( or lack of ) is great to see. I catch some of them in the European games as quite a few of those are on Spanish TV.

8. humanbeingincroydon

For all your Stanning needs...

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

One who has caught my eye in the European competition which I've seen a few full games of -

Harvey White - he's billed as a midfielder but in the games I've seen, he's played further back. Looks very comfortable on the ball and reads the game really well. In one of the games they said he was only 16 and he's still physically slight but against a top side, possibly Barcelona, he looked impressive and got stuck in.

So much of the game is now based upon physical excellence - pace, power, endurance, etc. that it's hard to predict who will or won't make it, but since seeing Skippy a couple of years ago, White and the Parrott would be the next most impressive that I've seen.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In snooker in 1991.

SpursDisciple likes this.

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

<laugh>..........Brian's don't like snooker.

12. humanbeingincroydon

White's also the team's set piece taker, so we have years to coach him how to wallop the ball into the first defender to get him to first team standard

13. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

So the PL website now has our squad as including Janssen.
    Wonder if he'll get any game time....

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

I'd rather have Vinnie on the bench than fill it up with full backs. If Moussa Sissoko can resurrect his career with us and become indispensable, Vinnie must have some sort of shot (even if it's not what he does best).

Our squad currently includes Big Vic, who plays once every couple of months and Eric Lamela, who can't play 2 games in a week. Moussa Sissoko is carrying an injury and can't play 90 minutes. Trippier is playing through a groin injury, Serge Aurier has forgotten how to play football, before one even considers HK and Dele and Ben Davies and that Fernando Llorente isn't going to thrive on being flogged to death.

We're not in a position to quibble. If you can run, you're in contention, for my money. We loaned out Kaziah Sterling and GKN (probably rightly in the long term), so we've even less options now. If Vinnie get his head down and trains hard, his chances of a move and a re-start to his career increase. He might just get some game time and who knows?

Addendum: From Mauricio Pochettino.'s press conference this afternoon...

"From today he will be involved in the first team."

Good.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  15. Blue and White

He's been doing OK in the U23's

16. Blue and White

17. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I never thought that Janssen was that bad, to be honest. Held the ball up well and involved others in buildup play.
    His finishing let him down, but he can clearly score goals, so maybe it was just a confidence thing?
    It would be rather weird to see him on the bench tomorrow though, I must admit.

The Changing Man likes this.
  18. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

It seems that it’s Troy Parrott’s birthday today and he’s signed his first professional contract with Spurs as a present. No idea how to embed tweets on here but it’s on his Twitter. Congrats to the lad though, here’s to big things to come!

19. Blue and White

please log in to view this image

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

For future reference, just click the “share tweet via” option and hit copy then paste it into your post and it’ll automatically load once you post your comment on here.

The Huddlefro likes this.