1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Spuds away

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StanDMan, Aug 13, 2017.

1. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Guess you have never been to our forum.

Always insisted Cahill is a better striker than defender. He will give "deer at the headlights" impression when he goes 1 on 1 against half decent attacker.
    He should have become a striker like Caroll tbh.

Bodinki likes this.
  2. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Have never been a big Cahill fan.
    I think Stan is somewhat unfair on Alonso and Cesc, but Cahill.....have been saying for years we should get rid.

3. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Mate, not unfair on any individual.
    Just that duo or Trio of those players could be deadly for us in most games.

They will make Kante look ordinary and I cannot take that, ever!

Back to the game,
    No Eden, No Diego No Problem.
    Opposition should be worried.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  4. Liquidator

Liquidator Active Member

Amen to that - ever since Kane tore him a new one 3 seasons ago have always rated him as an average squad player at best.

5. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Great result,pleased for Conte after the pathetic criticism by some.

6. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Conte did well, his set up was arguably as good as he could muster. pretty obvious it took time for players to settle, but they all did and our defence proved to be too good for Spurs who hammered away pretty much all game. Here's my take.
    Rudiger was scratchy at first but grew into the game and did pretty well. Think he will be a much improved player in a month. Christensen ditto. He has a touch of class that kid and was pretty damned good in the centre substituting for Luiz..Azpi was his usual self, enough said. Moses a bit scratchy but he sometimes is, still a fair game. Alonso was outstanding, and I disagree totally with Stan on this bloke, he looks the business to me and I hope and expect he will improve quickly now he knows our game.Luiz did a fine job, Kante was excellent, Morato suffered from poor service , but as we started to play, so did he. Sharp and keen, he's classy. Willian was excellent, and Courtois also. That leaves Bakayaro. This youngster showed he is a fine player. sure to took time and he balled a few things up, but he also showed some really classy play and I understand why we got him. He's got the look of a real good un. All in all, an "ugly " win, great defending and a glimpse of better things to come.

BobbyD likes this.
  7. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Totally agree.Alonso needs to improve defensively but brings so much else to the team.Looking forward to seeing
    Morata and Hazard play together.

8. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Alonso wins us another game from full back. Legend in the making....:1980_boogie_down:

Lets not pretend Cahill being out was the difference. Spurs had chances and it was the tactics and work rate that got the job done more than personnel (save maybe Luis in the middle rather than Fab).

Cahill is very replaceable and other guys deserve chances. But this whole, if Cahill plays we will definitely lose is utter nonsense as proved last year.

9. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Yeah i am not making absurd statements like that. I will leave that to Maude, our resident worry wart.
    I just think Cahill is overrated because he is a semi decent English defender and some pundits seem to be toting him as our new JT, and i think he makes too many mistakes and sometimes lacks concentration. Very replaceable and i think between Luiz, rudi and christensen we may find Cahill surplus very soon

10. chelsea - over 100 years of history

He most certainly is not the new JT but he had leadership qualities, English and gets goals so I can see why comparisons would be drawn.

I just find is amazing how he is slagged off by some given he was a main stay in 2 good title winning back lines and in the C.L final.

Overall I think its easy to attack the perceived wink links in our starting 11 when I think the problem is that the overall quality of almost every player is not at the level of the equivalent players in our better P.L sides.

How many of the current line up would get in the Jose 04-06 side? Kante and Hazard maybe but their direct replacements would be Makaele and Robben!

Bodinki likes this.

11. BobbyD

BobbyD President

He's easy to "attack" because he is the weakest link in the team. It's obvious. thats not to say we don't support him but that we think we should replace him and are disappointed when he isn't, especially when there are what people perceive to be better players in the team

12. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I understand he has been a mainstay in some trophy winning sides, he isnt terrrible, hes a good player and i have no ill will toward him, i just think he is one of the weaker links of our first XI and certainly the weakest in our backline.

13. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Well I didn't expect that result at all.

Conte got his tactics right, however odd they seemed at first.

Was good to see Bakayoko get 90 and you can see why we've gone for him. Reminds me of Yaya Toure a bit, powerful and aggressive and can drive forward with the ball.

Christensen was neat and tidy and came up with some vital blocks too, was probably our best player. Looked like he was the guy we made 34M and not Rudiger, who still looks a little rusty....as does Morata, who I'm sure will come good once fully fit.

Alonso has his critics but his left foot can produce some magic, his final product is outstanding.

As for Cahill, I think he is the weakest of our XI but I don't think it helps that he's playing left side when he's so obviously right footed. Depending on how we got on in the next 2 I wouldn't be sticking him straight back in the team though, especially if we defend like we did at the weekend.

StanDMan likes this.
  14. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Agree with all, Cahill is not "hopeless" he is a better than average player but not a great. Still a very good club and squad man with plenty to offer.

Diego likes this.
  15. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Exactly my point. Cahill is a great squad player like Mikel. No way mainstay or club captain.

Problem with some of our players they have no motivation or competition. So take things for granted. Look at Manu - champ elect - Mata, Rashford, Martial & lingaard fight for 1 spot.

They have 4 players for every position.
    We had 2 players for every position in the past.

this season we dont have even 1 player for every position.