1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Spuds away

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StanDMan, Aug 13, 2017.

1. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Our team will be lot better without Cescy & Cahill in there against might Spuds in their new home.
    We have a decent record in their new home, not as good as 3pt lane mind.

Thibo
    Rudiger Luiz Caesar
    Moses Alonso
    Kante Boga
    Willian Pedro
    Morata

Morata lacks match fitness with that awful preseason schedule for him.
    Caesar may help out Alonso on the left. This is what I was crying out from last season.
    Moses & Cahill on the right. Dave & Alonso on the left. Common tongue & s#!t. Common sense?

Will Rudiger rein Moses like Dave did last season? If we can win that right side battle, we can turn over Spuds and turn a new leaf. This is much needed only way to kiss goodbye to 2 of our deadly trio.

Going for 2-0 win for us.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

I know we've had a lot of red cards lately but we should be starting with 11!

Not sure who'll play alongside Kante? Christensen maybe? All our young midfielders are out on loan, Mount, Colkett, Baker, Van Ginkel, Pasalic, Loftus Cheek....might've even missed some out, crazy.

Anyway, don't fancy us at all. 2-0 Spurs.

3. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

It's easy to be pessimistic about the game given how awful we were in the opener, however, that was a freak result and realistically it was the same team that won the league last year. An early red card and conceding will certainly throw anyone.

It was a wake up call nice and early as premier league normal service resumes. Big game against a team we do not want to lose against early, so everyone will be wide awake and switched on for this. It'll be a battle but I reckon the Chelsea steel will show and we will lay a marker down for those who would think us pushovers this season.

1-2, Morata and luiz

4. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Thought Christiansen looked a lot sharper than Rudiger, he'd get in my team, though Rudiger does look promising. Boga doesn't run midfields he runs off midfields. That said we don't have a lot of choice, thanks to the clowns who organise sales, we have no midfielder until the new kid plays. God knows when that will be and whether he is anything more than a younger Matic anyway. Not prejudging him cause I know bugger all about him, but I think Marco Veratti is the type we need, or a Couthino , who feeds his front men and can also attack and score himself. Midfield recruiting has been absolutely pathetic for 3 years and will be our Achilles heel again all season.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  5. Liquidator

Liquidator Active Member

Hit it right on the nail - the spine of the team looks to be weaker than previous seasons and the recruitment policy has been slapshod for some time. The squad size is worrying considering the addition of CL football; it was no coincidence that our worst displays came after additional games in the week - urgently need numbers to bolster our selection.

6. Chelsea Pensioner

We do, but I have some sympathy with recruiters in that there's very few players available for the positions we really need to strengthen. By the way I don't include Kante in my midfield recruiting criticism, but he's just one half of what we need ,with a big upgrade to Fabregas being the other. If you spot anyone who would do the job, give Roman a call, cause he and his "advisors" can't find him.

7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I quite like Stans line up, especially the switch of dave to the left hand side.

Depending who we play in CM (obviously not fab today) but if its an attacking guy we need to ask kante to hold more, not running around and using his energy up the pitch as we had matic doing that disciplined job.

Either push Luiz into midfield and use christensen or use Stans team and switch boga and willian around so willian is a CM

8. chelsea - over 100 years of history

stans team ok but if he thinks fab is bad, can you imagine how Boga would fare in centre mid against the spurs lot!?!?

Willian in the middle and Boga wide is a much better alternative. Luiz could play centre but would mean only 1 of our normal back 3 playing at the back, which would worry me. Where are Ake, Chalobah and Loftus Cheek when you need em?? ;)

9. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Selling Matic was a ****ing dumb move, especially to United.
    Now it has left us short in midfield until Orinocco Flow can play.
    We should be fine at the back with Luiz, Cahill (after his suspension), Rudiger, Christensen etc to choose from.

Why did we have to **** it up with Costa aswell!?!!? <grr>

10. Chelsea Pensioner

We really need to find a midfielder who can play the Fabregas role from within our squad, since we don't seem to be looking to buy one. Perhaps Spurs is not the best game to start this process, but what other choice do we have? Luiz who can certainly pass and put himself about a bit too, would seem to be our best option.That leaves only Christensen to fill in for Luiz, which is a big job for the kid with Rudiger still wearing his "L" plates as well.
    How did it ever get to this?????
    Keep seeing that Conte is not looking to build or bring on kids, and wants Club to buy 30 + ish players to make team competitive NOW, and it's the Club trying to buy younger players. That seems to be the growing cause of agro between the two. Couple that with Conte getting more dosh, but not a longer contract, might we have a new manager again before too long ??

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017

11. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I think it's widely accepted Conte may only have a year left. I don't think he has settled. So I prefer the club's route to build for the future and not just for short term gain.

12. Chelsea Pensioner

You and me both, but wouldn't it be nice if someone with Contes' talents would just commit to the plan and the Club? I was under the impression that one of the reasons he joined was because he was all for a proper long term program.
    So what was all that bollocks we were fed when he joined, about kids coming through, and building for the future?
    I think I'm going to sit on the fence and wait till we get enough info to work out what's going on and who's behind it.
    I am a big Conte fan, I am in 2 minds about Roman apart from believing he is passionate about the Club despite his ( very) small level of patience, and I am pretty unimpressed with the back room staff. That's 3 separate elements, and it's anyone's guess who is screwing things up for the others.
    Never dull at Stamford Bridge.

StanDMan and BobbyD like this.
  13. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

I think I'd be tempted to go 4231 with Christensen and Rudiger in the middle and Luiz with Kante in midfield. Not ideal but I can't see anyone else playing midfield really and if we play a back 3 I feel Luiz needs to be in it.

Although I did see today that Bakayoko is a possibility but I don't think it's worth the risk.

So yeah I'd maybe go

Courtois
    Azpi - Christensen - Rudiger - Alonso
    Kante - Luiz
    Musonda - Willian - Moses
    Morata

Not great by any means but feel it's the best we've got...

StanDMan likes this.
  14. BobbyD

BobbyD President

you know what, this isn't a bad shout.

StanDMan likes this.
  15. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Guys we are coming with all possible combos here. Hope Tony reads all of us in detail and puts a perfect team out there.

I am positive just because no Cescy & Cahill. We have a fighting chance.

Btw Pedro may be back. It is a disgrace we dont have a fit 11 to field.

16. The Ginger Marks

Not exactly the case at all, Conte has said that when his stint is up providing everything is going to plan he will sign up for another. He has now stated his plan is to make Chelsea number one in Europe which as we know would be a fairly lengthy process. With regards to the OP's comments re youth players coming through, we have a rich vein at present but they are not good enough to break into the first team which is why we move them out on loan. In my view Boga & Christenson are ready but it won't be quick.

17. The Ginger Marks

Hazard & Bakayoko in today's squad?

18. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Tomorrow squad?

I still don't think Conte will switch from 352 yet.

Courtois
    Azpi - Luiz - Rudiger
    Moses Alonso
    Kante
    Musonda - Willian - Pedro
    Morata

I would leave Kante alone than pair him with Cescy in the middle.
    Willian can have a free role & drop back to join Kante if needed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  19. The Ginger Marks

Conte is faced with a host of selection problems after Chelsea sustained two red cards versus Burnley. Eden Hazard and Pedro face late fitness tests as Conte admits that Pedro trained but remains in "pain" from an ankle injury.

Tiemoue Bakayoko looks likely to make his debut and possibly even start but Conte admits that rushing him back means risking re-injuring him.

Victor Moses was out of the defeat at Stamford Bridge last week but he is the main positive as he returns from suspension.

Hazard and Bakayoko played in an 8-0 win in a behind closed doors friendly versus a Queen's Park Rangers XI at Cobham Training Centre this week as Conte assesses his options.

20. The Ginger Marks

Chelsea
    • 13Courtois
    • 27Christensen
    • 30David Luiz
    • 2Rüdiger
    • 28Azpilicueta
    • 7Kanté
    • 14Bakayoko
    • 3Alonso
    • 15Moses
    • 22Willian