1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Shelvey away?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Somebodys pinched my sombrero, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Reported in the Sun, Fulham want to swap Cairney for Shelvey. Don't know how much truth there is in this, but he seems to have fallen out of favour with Rafa. A few Hollywood passes, but doesn't offer much goal wise.

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri is prepared to swap Cottagers captain Tom Cairney, 27, for Newcastle's 26-year-old midfielder Jonjo Shelvey.(Sun)

2. JH stand

JH stand Active Member

Ranieri does not fancy Cairney. he seems to have stripped him of the captaincy in favour of Mitro. Having come on a a late sub against Wolves his attitude was awful. Whether a straight swap for Shelvey would be good business for both sides I am not sure. Shelvey has always struck me as a man of moods -which Shelvey will turn up? Cairney may be helped by a change of clubs - it seems that his days at Fulham are numbered

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  3. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Please lets get rid of Shelvey

4. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

I’d take that deal if it was on the table like.

5. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

Like it or not, Shelvey is our best passer of the ball and without him we are an even worse team than we currently are. Ki is a decent stand-in but not as talented.
    I know West Ham were interested in Cairney but that was when Moyes was their Manager.

I wouldn't go anywhere near this deal, but considering Rafa is going in the summer, why would he block it?

Shelvey would welcome a move back to Landan I'm sure.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    TheJudeanPeoplesFront likes this.
  6. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

I'd snap their freakin hands off if they offered Cairney for Shelvey!

Cairney is gritty and skillful, AND gets goals, reminds me of Rob Lee at his best. Shelvey has gone off the boil and constantly drifted in and out of games even when he was at his best, DO THIS!

cronemeister and Flash like this.
  7. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

Always liked Cairney. I would swap for Shelvey as he is not such a risk on field. Shelvey blows too hot or cold for me, and his hot days are few and far between. Cairney also would add goals whereas Shelvey doesn't.

8. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Deal.

A proper number 10.

9. Blue harvest

Blue harvest Active Member

Playing 3 at the back should allow Shelvey to be the deep lying mid-field player, dictating play and spraying the ball about.

The problem is irrelevant of what system we play we are set very defensively with very few players breaking forward for him to hit balls to. As he doesn't bring a box-to-box energy or defensive side to his game his only attribute is his passing. Perhaps swapping him for a player that fits the style of play we have might work out for us. Right tools for the job and all that!!

10. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Given that Ki is away for potentially a good few weeks, can we afford to lose Shelvey at the minute?

Getting Cairney addresses the No10 issue, but we simply replace that problem with buying as central midfielder - unless he gives Longstaff an extended run but can't see that happening

11. JH stand

JH stand Active Member

Time was when we would have been mortified at the prospect of Cairney being sold. Not anymore. I can only assume that you are influenced by his performance at your place a couple of seasons ago. Due to injury issues his profile is one of regression and,as far goal scoring goes his last goal for us was at Wembley in the playoff final. Now, it is possible that a change of club may renew his appetite for the game. Regarding Shelvey I agree with your assessment - I recall a game last season,possibly against Bournemouth and Shelvey was awful. If this deal were to go through I fear that one problem would be placed by another problem.

12. leez

leez Well-Known Member

gone off him. As a prem player. Must admit

13. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Honestly I'd keep him we need a squad

14. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

I wouldn't. He's bang average and a knobba at that.

Don't personally rate Cairney much higher than him but he appears to be more consistent.

£7M and Cairney

15. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

I mean, we literally have a Fulham fan telling us he hasn't scored since last season and his form has dwindled... and people still want to swap Shelvey for him <laugh>

I would rather we kept hold of Shelvey. He can dominate in the championship and on his day is actually a premier league player.

The pressing issue is getting rid of Manquillio, Hayden, Joselu and Lazaar, and replacing those positions with quality. That will not be happening in the January window.

Hugh Briss likes this.
  16. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

I actually think that it's not good for us when Shelvey spends too much time lying deep because we just end up being pushed back and going long ball.

I think it would be good if we could find a way to play him higher up the pitch as he is still able to see a pass when in advanced positions and is capable of pulling them off.

17. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

I want rid as he is a complete knob jockey

18. Captainchaos.

Keep him buy better

19. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Lol. Thought we wouldn't buy anyone?

This way we get the same quality player plus a bit of cash that even the fat man can't deny giving to Rafa and we could end up with half a Murphy on top

20. Captainchaos.

We won't well sell and buy if It was me I'd keep him and buy.. I'd ship out nobody good enough.

In certain games he can win the match.

JakartaToon likes this.