1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Semenyo

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by RedorDead, Jan 22, 2022.

1. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Always liked him when he had his doubters.
    Glad that Nige shared the opinion on him.
    Need to hold onto him as I suspect there will be bigger clubs looking at him.

2. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Much like Masengo, there are still raw elements of his game that need improving, but he has natural ability that shines through. As they age and get more experience they will only get better. These are the next batch of talent, let’s hope SL doesn’t sanction their sales as he has done with those before..

3. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I don’t think NP will encourage their sell as the previous regime did, but if an offer comes in and the players want to go there’s really not much he’ll be able to do. It seems NP’s management style is more likely to encourage loyalty but there’s only so far that will go.

Jiffie and Red Robin like this.
  4. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

need to get some players on longer term deals 4 years? with contract review after each year [ wage wise ]

5. AshtonRed

Remember what happened last time we put players on long term contracts, 1982 ring a bell?

Jiffie and RedorDead like this.
  6. realred1952

Yep .. but were for longer. Could settle for 3 plus a year option! but review annually [ as get better / more experience player worth more, play crap then ..... ]
    A 2 YEAR CONTRACT should be 2 +1 , and after first year looked at as renewing as 2 +1 3 year done the same a 3 year plus 1 = 4 years potential, so after 1 year renew as 3 +1 still got the 3 years, after that renew again maybe as a 2 +1 etc
    BCFC IS NOT likely to keep talented players even if in PREM so no good having a player on a 3 year deal if after 2 1/2 years is worth £40m and goes free in 6 months ..........

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  7. AshtonRed

We are still suffering from long contracts .
    , wells , palmer for example

Jiffie and RedorDead like this.
  8. RedorDead

You won’t win, he would of done a spreadsheet on it somewhere I bet.

AshtonRed and Jiffie like this.
  9. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

The problem is every player has their price, it's pointless bitching about players sold, the conversation should be about players brought in to replace those sold. We can start with spending half of the Brownhill fee on Wells for instance and probably paying him triple the wage Brownhill was on, good business?

10. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

The last game he attended the maximum wage limit had not been lifted.

11. RedorDead

I agree with what you’re saying about replacements. But from memory Wells was part of the deal or it went to the summer when Brownhill contract had that low release clause. Should of pushed them for Vydra but that is only my opinion.

12. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

He was indeed part of the deal and IMHO was a panic buy, people are still under the illusion that he was a top striker, but he has never scored 20 league goals in his entire career, he was signed on the back of the season he was enjoying at QPR, which had a midfield that included Eze and other talented players and by my calculation, has wiped out the whole Brownhill fee + 8mil, it wasn't good business and is reminder of how poor our recruitment had become.

13. realred1952

they were not are not long contracts what would you have done ? every player shows up worthy of being signed so give them a 1 YEAR CONTRACT! with option = insecurity for player and club!
    NP has his own idealism play well = in team = bad day or 2! out of team. YESTERDAY we won without any of the NP signings !
    How would you give a contract, based on trying to build a team? and how would you attract a player to signing given 3 year contract is to long. What is your cross over point in terms of " the starting point of a long contract!" eg 2 year 3 year or ?

14. realred1952

I do have a few spread sheets, but mostly notes where peeps say "you are wrong" <whistle> but actually the result was correct, but no admission of apology from "the accuser", when I am wrong I always admit it ........one such individual is on 5 strikes!!!!!:emoticon-0140-rofl:

15. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

The problem is the handing out of longer contracts to the likes of Palmer and DaSilva, that have cost a big fee + big wages and have not represented value for money. The 2nd contract given to ODowda was another huge and costly mistake. Signing Williams when he was injured was another huge mistake.

Our recruitment has been poor for far too long.

16. realred1952

The 2 deals were not linked, in so much as they happened at same time. We had to "sell" or as stated a much lower release clause could have been activated by a number of clubs in the summer. One of the 4 parties wanted the deals separate .. not dependent on the other .... Burnley had NW surplus to requirements and suited both sides to happen at time.

17. AshtonRed

It’s a question of balance, giving out long Contracts have downfalls too, it’s not just question of handing out long contracts to everyone, I merely pointed out some of the possible downfalls of that approach.

18. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Add Simpson to that, how did NP hand him a new contract in the summer for what is an alleged huge wage (£15k a week) given the current financial climate, yet he hasn't kicked a ball, this shows me as a club we haven't gotten any better at signing and valuing players.

19. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

As you know I do not believe that he is anywhere close to 15k a week.

Atkinson is a good signing as is Tanner and James and although King and James are now both currently injured, at least their injuries are from playing actual games and not from poor medical back up.

PS:- sadly he has kicked a ball and gave it straight to an opposing striker, who scored. Still 64 to go.

20. realred1952

yes but what is your opinion on it ?