1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season review

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StanDMan, May 27, 2017.

1. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great way to finish the season. Lose a mickey mouse cup to the smaller club. Keep the Legend going for the Goons.

Use this as a springboard to clear the dead wood in Cescy, Cahill & Alonso et al & launch our next season.

Moses had no natural replacement there. Reason Conte persisted with him for so long.
    Hey atleast Costa has replacement in Cahill & Batters.
    Looks like Costa is staying after that badge kiss ;-). So Striker position is not crucial.

Need to get Left wingback replacement & Right wingback back up immediately.
    Promote either of the 2 kids to the 1 long open CB position. We will be all set for 4th spot next season.
    Conte's single is greater than Ancelloti's double IMHO. Up the Conte.

up the blues. Enjoy the short sweet summer boys..

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

More important than left backs ,right backs or strikers seems to be midfield attackers. The comparison between Arsenals quick direct attacks straight up the guts and our ponderous, sideways, backwards, Mouhrino mogodon efforts down the sidelines was graphic.
    At one stage my wife looked up from the paper and said "Aren't Chelsea heading for the wrong goal?" We were !!
    Anyway, not the best end to a really great season, and definitely not the game to judge individual players by. CL means an important strengthening effort needs to be done. Hope Conte gets his men and Emanelo doesn't screw things up.
    Remember, this is our period of cautious spending and careful rebuilding for the long term. Fabulous start, and patience is a virtue.

StanDMan likes this.
  3. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40074020

Conte has confirmed - we need to be cold & evaluate the current squad and increase the quality in numbers.
    Cannot agree more with him.

Thank Fcuk it was Spuds who chased us for title. Had it been Manchester teams or even Goons would have been different story altogether now.

Very thankful for Spuds at 2nd. But we cannot pray and hope that Spuds will be chasing us every season.

We need to seriously introspect and improve our squad immensely.
    Again 4th is the reasonable target for 2017-18.

4. Chelsea Pensioner

I'd aim a little higher than 4th, and would hope we are fighting for top spot, otherwise it's expecting to go backwards. Will be tougher with CL, so squad strengthening is crucial. Pessimism rarely disappoints !!!!!!!!! Optimism often rewards !!!!!

5. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Agreed.
    But, I am being realistic.
    This season our squad is probably 4th best in the league, still we won it all.
    Our squad need massive improvements in 3 different areas.

Can we compete against money bags from Manchester? No. We cannot.
    This season we had luxury of no CL footy. Next season CL will impede us and we will drop atleast 15 points from that alone.
    How are we going to compensate 5 or 10 points from those CL dropped points?

Challenging for 3rd or 4th will be massive. It is neither pessimistic nor optimistic but just realistic.
    Squad 4th best and we cannot out do Manchester teams in buying players. so 3rd or 4th is a decent expectation.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  6. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

I think any signings will be in mind of
    Conte's preferred system which is 3 5 2 not 3 4 3.Also don't think he'll go for the obvious big names,and may well do his shopping in Italy.

7. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

Stan, what if we strengthen considerably and buy key players in those key areas?

Can we compete with the big spenders. Yes. Absolutely. Don't fool yourself. The business model is now sustainable but Roman will still put his hand in his pocket if he wants something.

We are a team in transition and still smashed the league. Besides, we won the league and according to our little bet, you're not allowed to be a misery guts this coming season.

Blueman and StanDMan like this.
  8. Chelsea Pensioner

Stan is OK with me. In fact without him this site would be too quiet. I give him 110 out of 100 for enthusiasm and passion.
    When you get so up for something you inevitably fall very low when it doesn't go to plan. I also hope he is more optimistic next season, things look a lot better than they did in the off season last year ! We'll have new faces, old favourites, more talent,CL games.
    What's not to look forward to??

Blueman, StanDMan and BobbyD like this.
  9. chelsea - over 100 years of history

We competed with the Manchester clubs in the transfer market last year so why not again?. They spent more than us but not by much. We can spend big again if need be especially with 70 million left over from Oscar and Bergovic sales alone, plus the money for winning the league.

It was apparently Jose's to lose this year as you stated all year up until about march so forgive me if your 'realistic' predictions don't worry me too much!! ;)

Our aim should be to challenge for the title and have a good run in Europe. But we will need additions to do that, as does every team in the top 6 so far too early for predictions.

10. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

I don't know how you conveniently forget my predo of "No Ivan No Mikel, Yes party" - prediction.
    <laugh>

I don't agree. Not every team will need major reinforcements like we do.

Manu need No ONE except a striker may be.
    Manc need NO ONE except a goal keeper - Benfica kid already in place.
    Spuds just need to keep hold of their main players.

All those teams requirements are nice to have.

Where as, our requirements are MANDATORY.
    We cannot challenge for Top 4 with Cahill, Cescy & Alonso in there making combined 40+ starts.
    You heard here first as usual <ok>

11. Liquidator

Liquidator Active Member

Agreed - aiming for 4th will guarantee you 6th. An old Shankly quote about aiming for the roof cause if you aim for the ceiling you end up on the floor.....or something like that.

12. chelsea - over 100 years of history

If United are only a striker away they would have won the league last year.
    City need a goalie and a whole new Defence save for Stones - hence why they are going to spend about 200 million this window.
    Spurs playing at Wembley will be tough and will be expected to have a better run in Europe. Their first team is very good but lacks experience in winning things and their squad is not deep enough. Plus both fall backs have been linked with moves away.

All 3 of these need more, Arsenal need more, Liverpool need more. What planet are you on that the title winners need a lot more than the also rans?

As usual, you are talking bollox and picking on the same players. Your predictions are a joke and like the broken clock analogy, you try and claim some major foresight the 'once is a blue moon' you are actually right. <laugh>

It wasn't that long ago you insisted we'd struggle for top four with Cahill and Alonso playing. Look how that worked out.
    It was apparently Jose's title to lose all year. They came 6th.

Thankfully you are not talking us up for honours next year - then I'd be really worried. <whistle>

13. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Last 2 seasons title winners needed more than others. Evidently finishing bottom half of the table 2 seasons in a row.

That doesn't tell you anything??

Any given day - Manu, Man city squads are 100% better than ours.
    Even a moron newbie footy follower will agree with that. But that obvious fact will never reach you to your simple mind <ok>

14. Chelsea Pensioner

I don't think we need too many players myself, but a great midfield controlling player would be top of my list. I think our defence, plus Ake and Christensen is pretty damned good and I have no problem with Alonso as part of our team, nor Cahill. Neither are world beaters, but both are way above average PL players and worthy of their places. Both give us more than they lose as part of the whole. We could do with back up for Luiz, but otherwise look pretty solid. Midfield is a real problem and if Fabregas goes, a crisis position. If I can see that then no doubt so can Conte !!!
    Costa going doesn't worry me either, he's got no appetite unless everything goes his way. Very poor attitude. Strikers playing in front of our team should get plenty of chances, so I reckon there are a couple we have our eye on who will do the business.I am more than happy if we're fighting for top spot again, but I would be even happier if Abramovich shows the patience he has this season and allows Conte another season or two to bring on some kids, buy some quality and plan for the next 5 years, not just next season.

Blueman likes this.
  15. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I've got to say that I have total faith in Tony C to do the necessary in the transfer market. I think we will see a team more in keeping with his style and preference. A few comings and goings methinks.

16. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Defending the title has certainly been a problem for all teams these last few seasons. That's because our league is so competitive and title winners can't stand still. But the Chelsea 10th place finish as well as Leicester's title win were freak events and by no means a yard stick here. In most seasons since the P.L began, the title winners will at least finish top 2-3 the following year. (I'd take a guess and say at least 80% of the time)

Everyone knows we need to freshen the squad but so do all of the top 6. You talk as if before a ball is kicked or before a signing is made, we're already in trouble for top 4 next year. Hyperbole of the highest order.

Talking of moron newbie football fans, didn't you insist all year that Spurs were never going to mount a title challenge and the title was Jose's to lose even when about 14 points off the top?? How'd that work out?

City and United have good squads on paper but their starting 11's need work. Both defensively and United need a replacement for Ibra (unless Rashford is going to be given a chance). Our 11 is currently more balanced and better than both but we need more depth and a freshen up with a couple coming into the 11.

Blueman likes this.
  17. Blueman

Agree with this. I don't understand Stan's constant pessimism tbh.

18. chelsea - over 100 years of history

It smacks of someone who has no clue what it was like being a Chelsea fan in the 80's and early 90's.

If he thinks Cahill and Alonso are bad, he obviously hasn't witnessed Gareth Hall, Andy Myers or Winston Bogarde in Chelsea blue!!

19. StanDMan

Forum Moderator

Dont think am being pessimistic.
    We are not in early 90s were Alex & his chumps need to show up to collect 3 pts.
    Even in 2000s several managers conceded that fighting a match against leaders is futile. Rather they focus on meaningful manageable games.

1990s were full of teams managed by Dinos. Not any more.
    Even Marcos silva & Allardici have teams in bottom 3 play like barca ffs.

Last 2 seasons are not fluke or exceptions, but more of a rule.
    EPL is becoming more competitive and impossible to stroll.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  20. Blueman

<laugh> Now you are talking about mediocrity.

The Ginger Marks likes this.