1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season expectations

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Folks

Apart from the Eriksen situation/European TW, we know who we have got for the season. As much as I have moaned throughout the window, I’m pleased with our Summer dealings so well done to Levy for that. Back in for Dybala in January for the run in I hope.

Anyway...so what do you expect from us this season? What do you expect from certain individuals?

Top 3 for me
    CL quarters minimum
    A domestic cup will be nice if all the stars align but it’s the big 2 that I want us to aim for

The bar is high but so it should be...we are a strong outfit...injuries and belief stands in the way not a lack of talent.

From an individual perspective:

Decision making between the attacking 4 needs to improve...I feel as though our conversion rate is poor considering the amount of ball we have in and around the oppositions box...I put this down to too much head down once our attackers sniff the net. I understand that it’s this greedy quality that gets so many goals too but great players are intelligent players too...knowing when to do what goes a long way in achieving such greatness...not always...but most of the time.

Sissoko to get a shot on target, seriously though for a footballer that aspect of his game is piss poor

Alli to concentrate on his football and not so much his vanity projects off the field

I’m confident our defence will be much stronger due to our midfield improvements.

As far as for Poch...let’s see how he deals with team selection when we get to the business end. No more brain farts that all of us on Not606 can see right through.

COYS

2. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

3. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Agree with this, we have a big squad now and barring injuries to the extent we had last year, should be able to be competitive on all four fronts.

I’d like to see us play with more urgency through midfield, hopefully Tanguy and GLC will add this to the team because we were too ponderous last season, especially against teams who sat deep.

I just really want to ****ing win something, lol

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We'll fight for a top four place and cup runs will depend heavily on who we draw.

5. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Quadruple.

It's better to fail aiming high that to succeed aiming low. .......Sir Bill.

6. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Yep. Top 4 and CL last 16 is sooooooooo Arsene Wenger.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  7. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

We need a trophy. Preferably the league or CL but those two are so so hard to win but a league cup or fa cup would be nice

The Changing Man likes this.
  8. Rudekid

Rudekid Well-Known Member

Beat arsenal at st james tomorrow and go from there .

deedub93 and remembercolinlee like this.
  9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Top three and a trophy.

Levy has put a lot of pressure on Poch now. No one can shout at Levy for not backing the manager, we now have a really good squad in place to challenge on all fronts.

Poch himself has said about the need for a trophy. I don’t care what the trophy is but I’d like to see us lift one. It obviously won’t be easy what with City always looking to do the quadruple but we’ve gotta make that push for one now.

Don’t sell Eriksen, another season with him is better than picking up £50m in the next couple weeks because without Eriksen our chances of CL football and a trophy decrease badly. Maybe a strong season could even persuade him to ink a new deal.

10. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Top four and a cup, we are not finishing above £ity, so it`s us and the other four battling for three CL slots. We might not get the two horse title race the media are desperate for, Pool could easily come back into the pack as they may not get quite so lucky with injuries this season and VAR can`t fail to have a negative impact on them. £ity are out on their own and would have won the title at a canter last season had the officials done their jobs properly, I see the same again this season as long as they keep their hunger.

redwhiteandermblue likes this.

11. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

3rd place in the PL is realistic.
    If that's right, a greater effort to win a cup competition is called for.
    This Spurs team should win something even if the exceptional standard set in the PL in the last two seasons makes the title a long shot.

12. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

As others have said, top 3 and a trophy is a must this time round. For too long we've been the 'nearly men' winning 'put the pressure on' trophies.

I have zero qualms with us winning either of the domestic cups...this group needs to taste silverware and the confidence that winning stuff breeds.

My concern is that Poch seems totally disinterested by the prospect of either the FA or Carabao being his first trophy. Yet at the same time he intimates that winning the CL would be an unexpected success years ahead of schedule. So he has basically backed himself into a Catch 22.

13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I don't want to see games like the one we just had against Villa. My hope is that as the new signings get used to their new team and the team gets used to them we will see an upping of our performances, that is the point of spending the money after all. It's reasonable to expect Spurs to finish top 4 but winning cups is always a lottery. With better luck on injuries I would expect us to be better than last season even without the new players.
    Expectations are raised.

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I don't see any great importance on us winning the Carabao Cup. In and of itself it's a pretty meaningless trophy.

However, it's now overdue that we put in a top notch performance at the crucial stage of a competition. So far, we've gone down too easily in such games under Mauricio Pochettino.

We need to turn up in a semi and a final, not make daft selections and do our best. It's not the losing that I can't stand, it's been how bad we've been in those really big games... including the first three 45 minutes against Ajax.

Let's get to semi's and finals and play well for once. Then, we'll win stuff.

15. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Which for me shows where our reliance on Eriksen fails, Dembele & Vertonghen have both shown such determination in cup games but our main playmaker has shown no such sense of urgency or commitment. Already Ndombelle has given hints that he has fighting mentality, if GLC also has this we will move forward in a serious manner.

16. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Saw games like that, every season, since the start of the 2015 season.
    Irrespective of the strength of the Spurs starting XI.

The real stat of importance is for the total of such games (where the
    opposition goes 1-0 up and then attempts busparquet to the end) ,
    how many pts do Spurs take come FT.

If total such games = 10, pts = 25, then that means the end results
    (W/L/D) were 8/1/1.

I could live with stats like that year in year out.

17. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

The Caraboa Cup shouldn't be meaningless. Granted, it doesn't have the history of the FA Cup but it's still a tournament similar to the FA Cup. It has been devalued by it's various sponsorships and certain managers prioritising other games over this.

If Spurs were to win this cup, I would be happy but I accept some prioritising with other games need to occur. Spurs haven't won a trophy this decade. Doesn't Spurs have a record (since when?) of winning a major trophy in each decade and we simply need to win something soon as a reward for its progress over the last 5 years.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Not really sure how you come to that conclusion when:

League cup semi final vs Sheff Utd - 2 goals.

Fa cup semi final vs Chelsea - 2 assists (one of them being one of the best assists you’ll ever see).

FA cup semi final vs Utd - assist. The same game that Dembele got muscled off the ball by Pogba resulting in Utd’s equaliser.

19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

It's been devalued because its main purpose seems to be bloating the fixture schedule at the worst possible point in the season to do so, with two-legged semi finals in January at a time where the FA Cup is already bloating the fixture list, a final in february which means having to rearrange the league fixture that was supposed to be taking place at that time, and the long-standing issue of teams who don't have deep squads see their seasons derailed by actually winning the bloody thing as lifting the trophy causes the players to mentally switch to beach mode with three months of the season to play

The French have the right idea with their version of the league cup: use it as a way to keep players match fit during the winter break - alternatively, follow the lead of La Liga, Serie A, the Eredivisie where they understand that one cup competition is more than enough per season

20. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Silverware - thats all (well and top 4)- But I want to see Hugo Lloris and Harry Kane lifting a trophy above their heads - Even the league cup will do - Look at City they win the league cup and players and fans look delighted - it would be 4th choice if I am honest but winning the first one is so important and I feel that if we get that winning mentality into this side they will want more of it.

We need to get over the line in big matches, not just in cup ties but at the other top 6 sides in the league. Not losing our first 2 away games this season would be a good start.

I