1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by realred1952, Jun 13, 2022.

1. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

HERE SHE GOES AGAIN ... a distraction from not having been very successful with their economy to date!!!
    Take away all the money we give them, take away the profit sharing on oil and gas revenue, take away the defence budget ... we pay £bn's to Scots economy for defence projects based in Scotland, which would go to Plymouth & / or Portsmouth & /or Wales and possibly NI ... that leaves whiskey, shortbread and Edinburgh tatoo!
    Rejoining the EU! Nickerless had better get a written guarantee that would happen. Ukraine may get membership because they had an economy that was was flourishing, and now a victim of a despot that could cause future grief ..... it was said last by EU . "dont expect your membership will be a cake walk ..... "
    The SNP is a nationalist party, worse than labour for wasting money. get independence and first things will be who pays for hospital healthcare debt ... must be a river of gold untapped up there somewhere! and it aint whiskey .... free healthcare will go out the window the amount they contribute the NHS IS NO WHERE NEAR the amount they pull out. free OAP CARE ... I bet a lot of that will not appear on her opening paper .................
    will be 50 or more opposition MP's not to worry about imagine it happened tomorrow a majority of 130!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I want the union to stay together, but if I was Scottish I’d see their point. They’ve never voted Tory, yet had to suffer years of Tory rule. They compare themselves to countries like Eire who’ve done very well out of EU membership.

You make a good case for their independence from our perspective too, as we would no longer have to subsidise them, you should be happy they want independence as it’ll save us, and therefore you money, so what’s the problem.

3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I also want the union to stay together - It'll be a pain having a border up there - look how much trouble the Irish border is causing right now. The Protocol will be repeated again if an independent Scotland joins the EU. However, I'm not convinced that the EU would let them join - I think that Spain and France would veto it because of it setting a precedence for the Basques and the Catalans. If they aren't careful then they could end up outside the EU AND outside the UK and would need to look elsewhere for subsidies ..... which leads nicely on to........

...... defence. What if an independent Scotland decided to throw their hat in with the Russians or the Chinese (as some other small nations have)? Unlikely, but possible - Krankie has already said she would boot out all UK nukes and subs from Scotland and have a 'minimal' Scottish defence force - the cost of the defence of Scotland would then fall to the rest of the UK, because we couldn't simply 'ignore' their vulnerability - we'd STILL be subsidising them even after independence because it would be too dangerous NOT to.

Having said all that, it's THEIR decision. If they want a divorce then its tragic and IMHO a huge mistake, but it's worse if they are forced to be part of a union that they don't want to be in.

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I also want the union to remain intact, but Sturgeon has brainwashed a whole generation of Scottish people into believing that independence for them would be a good thing, and to be even more anti English than previous generations were, and all this whilst overseeing some of the worst health services and drug addiction in Western Europe, and social depravation, which in some parts of Glasgow is no better than it was in the 1950's.

IMHO all she is doing is posturing and trying to get the Government to grant them another referendum. If Scotland then voted to go solo good luck to them as without the billions from London they'd sink without trace, especially in light of the current world economic downturn which will seriously affect two of their greatest assets, tourism and Scotch whisky

5. realred1952

Pray do tell us what is the problem??
    and Salmond! there is an underlying trend following the animosity that has appeared over the past couple of decades, not just Scots v English but also from different race groups!!!
    The 1966 world cup final I watched from my Uncles bar in Dundee, England were cheered on with venom... Also watched the semi final and they had the same spirit and cheering for that win .. now you probably wouldnt want to try watching it in a bar up there .............
    this change of attitude is / has been aimed at the gullible for about 15 -20 years, being in the bad news sector [ we need indy because this that and the other ] has built up a following, blindly of wanting indy: [ 1 = no and 2? ] a smoke screen for the debt ridden state of the nation. EU could take decade or more, AND WE ARE WEANING OFF FOSSIL FUELS .... so income stream gone ........... they have a lot of wind power, from Carlisle to Glasgow and Inverness to Ullapool to pass the time we count try to the windmills each time the total goes up .... last time on own counted 280 with passengers that would be over 430 [ but thats only seen from m74 / a9 / a835. Hydro power a couple generating stations but not enough to share!!!

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  6. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

It sounds a bit like our Quebec problem which raises it's ugly head way too often. My solution in both cases would be to let the rest of Canada/UK make the decision for them because I think in both instances the answer would be a firm NO. Solidarity and unity are at stake so it's only fair to let ALL those affected by the decision to have a vote.

7. Angelicnumber16

I absolutely detest Sturgeon and lots of Scots do too.

If it was left to her alone, Scotland would still be in lockdown.

Red Robin likes this.
  8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

If they want independence let them have it.
    I'm fed up with Sturgeon's forever moaning and let them stand on their own feet.
    If the Welsh want to go the same way I wouldn't care or worry me either.

Can we have a vote on them leaving as well.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  9. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

She is a dangerous self centred individual only interested in her self.
    Scotland need to remove the poison dwarf:emoticon-0130-devil:emoticon-0130-devil:emoticon-0130-devil

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

But they keep voting her in - time after time!

11. Angelicnumber16

It's like a one party state up there and she's indoctrinated a lot of Scots to hate the English and in particular Westminster and Boris.

Interestingly, the Shetlands, Orkneys and possibly the Western Isles are all very much pro UK and the millions of pounds that Scotland as a whole gets from London.

Personally I would take great delight in watching her crash and burn, and make no mistake, if this comes to pass with Indy Ref2 and then independence, and it fails as it inevitably will, she will have nowhere to hide from the mess her warped views will have created.

Red Robin likes this.
  12. realred1952

thats because she promises to do a referendum .. those people are inclined to vote for her [ via party SNP] even to the extent that under normal circumstances that wouldnt bother to vote! those that do not want a referendum are likely to vote elsewhere? or not vote at all.

read through some of her paper last night, it is all over the place. It is based on a comparability with some other "lesser size" states .. but seems to state how they could be like the ones in the left hand or the ones in the right hand ... but either would take a a while, not happen over night, might take a few years!!!
    The flaw as I see it is the countries they compare it to are actually bonafide countries ... already have their working economies without outside support! THEY ARE NOT part of a union / united country like UK and get back into the economy more than they put in. Example is NHS .....

13. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

the quickest way for the scots to get independence ... let the english join the vote too

Angelicnumber16 and Redprintt like this.
  14. AshtonRed

Just the English?, The last time I checked, we were in the UK,

15. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Just the Scots ?
    Last time I checked they were in the UK.

16. AshtonRed

Why would the English alone join the vote , I could understand the argument that the whole of the if the UK should vote, but not just the English.

17. realred1952

yep but south of the border predominatally ENGLISH PEOPLE [ NORTH SCOTS ] [ ENGLISH AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!!! ]
    TOP 12 ....
    LEICESTER
    MIDDLESBRO
    LEEDS
    SOUTHAMPTON
    NORWICH
    BIRMINGHAM
    SUNDERLAND
    WATFORD
    BLACKBURN
    MILLWALL

perm 2 from to make top 12 ...
    WEST BROM
    STOKE
    IPSWICH
    COVENTRY
    SHEFF WED

remaining 3 join for "middle of the table finish"

SWANSEA

BRISTOL CITY
    HULL
    CARDIFF

RELEGATION bottom 5
    PLYMOUTH
    ROTHERHAM
    QPR
    HUDDERSFIELD
    PRESTON
    top 7 all have different points
    a lot of teams have same points so not finishing order
    bottom 3 have different points

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  18. realred1952

of course a stumbling block would be the border between us and them also NI and the I O M ...... CURRENCY WOULD NEED TO CHANGE TO NON GB £ and an exchange rate set up! where would Scots based companies place their shares?

19. AshtonRed

Working on that theory the whole of Ireland should vote about N/I, south of border IRISH, North NORTHERN IRISH,

The point is the vote would be to determine Scotland’s future within UK, the UK being England, Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland . Wales and N/Ireland are as much a part of the union as England. Nothing to do where the border is.

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I know it would be another level of political waffle but I still think it's would be good to have an established, independent English parliament situated far away from London, in Derby, Leicester or Coventry.
    Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland operate theirs,why can't we? We could organise a vote for English people to see if we want want independence and release us all from the arguments.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Redprintt and Angelicnumber16 like this.