1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Scottish Independence and other political topics.

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Boss, Aug 12, 2014.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Because of the mixed political opinions? Er, ok...

2. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

The YES supporters get very defensive if you offer a negative opinion of the SNP, mainly because they believe the campaign for the referendum focused on the SNP & Salmond, which allowed the "facts" (according them them) to be ignored.

Yet as soon as anyone offers a view with facts and figures from the city or "establishment" they refuse to take them on board.

Thats one of the reasons why people up here got bored of the campaign and just wanted it to end as it turned into a tiresome debate where both sides would just try and discredit each other, and when serious discussions happened, you could quite clearly see there was a complete confusion and the YES vote was NEVER going to happen.

3. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/politics/majority-of-scots-born-voters-backed-independence-1.856959

Spurf?

4. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

If you like.

5. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I see this debate is going much the same way as the referendum debate went. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but they are not entitled to their own FACTS. The facts are available to all now with the power of the internet, you just have to make the effort to find them.

When I have posted facts on here, facts that I have taken the trouble to research from government and Westminster sources such as the Office of National Statistics I receive replies quoting media sources. The media deal in opinion to their own agenda and when it comes to Scotland we have 1 paper out of 37 supporting Independence the rest support the Union.

The facts tell you that Scotland is fully able financially to operate as an Independent nation, even David Cameron conceded this. It is a NON argument. Scotland is NOT subsidised by the the rUK it is the other way around once again this is a non argument, the FACTS are there to be seen.

If you want to know the real situation then you can do what I do and look the FACTS up for yourself.

That aside, opinions as to whether Scotland should be Independent or should we have a federal system. Should there be an English parliament I will debate.

6. pabird

pabird Active Member

That may all be true but nudged out of sterling into the Euro you would find a different set of facts
    The SNP wish for an independent country no royalty etc your own defence and border controls plus a civil service beyond what you have at present and the facts will change in a major way

7. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Facts, in this case, are merely statistics. Statistics are open to interpretation. I have stated my view on this, and that of respected economists. It won't change unless compelling new evidence comes to light. Spurf is not likely to change his view either, so continuing this debate is pointless.

8. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Yes we can all quote respected economists. The FACTS I am talking about are NOT open to interpretation only to deliberate misrepresentation for political reasons. Why you continue to support the Unionist position is beyond me NSIS.

The tax take of Scotland is the tax take The spend is the spend. They are hard figures that clearly show :

1 Scotland does NOT subsidise England
    2. Scotland is wealthy and viable as an Independent.

End of this particular story.

pabird likes this.
  9. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Indeed it is!..