1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Schumacher v Rosberg

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Nick HCAFC, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

Am hoping my bet on Schumi to beat his team-mate this season is not looking as daft as it sounded a few weeks back, roll-on the first podium for King Schumi tomorrow!

2. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, it can happen.

3. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

There is a great chance I think, fingers crossed. Looks like Ferrari are a car-crash this season <yikes> so will be showing a keen interest in Schumi, he must be a cert for his podium this year if not race wins, it could be that the Merc is even better in the races than qualifying hopefully.

4. EternalMSC

This is where I am a bit wary Nick, will the Mercedes carry it's pace into the race?
    It would be a true let down if he falls back lap after lap into the hands of the mid-field. Ferrari are shocking this year, much like Mclaren in 2009.
    I am still having frequent adrenaline flickers from this morning, healthy or not...

He has great starts, we know this. If Montreal is anything to go by this is set to be the race of his comeback.

5. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

The problem is the Mercedes has looked reasonably good in testing, but the big concept their car revolves around is a stalling slot on the rear wing that only works if DRS is available - i.e. it should be a good qualifier but beyond that no-one knows.

Interestingly, the Mclaren is meant to be single-lap focussed as well, so we could be in for a cracker of a race as the track evolves and fuel loads drop.

6. EternalMSC

Collective spine chill? lol

7. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

I guess there are lot of unknowns going into the first race, Schumis prowess at starting should give him an advantage off the line as EternalMSC mentions. The one thing I don't want to see tomorrow is Red Bull domination again, but hopefully that won't be the case going on what we've seen so far. The fuel loads will come into play like TomTom says, can't wait for the race myself to see what happens!

8. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

On dominance: I don't want Red Bull dominance to simply be replaced by McLaren or Mercedes dominance. Granted, I would enjoy either of those teams running away with it slightly more because I'm rooting for their drivers. But I'd take drivers I dislike winning 2010-type seasons ahead of my favourite driver leading a 20 race procession anyday.

9. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

Any driver coming up behind a Mercedes would do well to leave it till the second DRS zone to get past.

There's a "hear, hear" here.

10. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I totally agree with that. Who knows what's going to happen in the race, but it could be an incredibly close run affair.

I'm pretty nervous about this one... It could get ugly if McLaren, Merc, RB and Lotus are as close as they seem.

I just hope that Ferrari can unlock the potential in that car and join the hunt. It will be a cracker if they do!

11. McFerrari

McFerrari Member

That's true but Vettel won last year so comfortably but even though I enjoyed the races immensely. I actually enjoyed it more than 2010 which despite the hype about 4/5 drivers battling for the title I don't feel their were that many classic races and nor do I think any driver performed at an exceptional level throughout the season in the way Vettel, Button and Alonso did in 2011. Button and Alonso may have trailed Vettel by a big margin in the championship but I have no doubt that those two performed arguably their finest season. Certainly for Alonso last year was his best year since 2005 at least. Just a shame he didn't have the car. But what's important is that his efforts, like Button's did not go unnoticed.

12. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

I agree that if you ignore Vettel, the racing last year was on a par if not slightly better than 2010. But the race win is a big part of it: the stakes add to the excitement.

Even in the races Vettel didn't win last year, few featured a remotely exciting battle for the win in the final stint. Canada being the obvious exception.

13. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Beating your team mate will always give you a extra boost in the first race, and if that comes with a podium then you've already got a mental higher ground.

14. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

Here's hoping Schumi will get his first podium since the comeback this weekend, I'll never give up hope!

15. EternalMSC

Qualifying podium for sure.

16. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Rosberg is looking slightly uncomfortable. He has the speed but I believe has been trying very hard to understand how to get his tyres to work for longer during the race. I've actually splashed out with a virtual bet on Rosberg for Pole, but I now think Schumacher is slightly more likely to set the quickest Mercedes time.

I believe Hamilton has about 3/10ths in his pocket over Schumacher and that he had a heavier car when posting his fastest time. However, I fully expect him to start from 6th tomorrow.

17. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

Haha hope I didn't jinx him!

18. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

I'd like to see Schumi v Hamilton in equal equipment, i think Schumi would have the edge, he is the most intelligent F1 driver I've ever seen. Even at 42 Rosberg will not cook his goose. I don't agree with his nefarious tactics of yesteryear but he always had/has the brains to get the job done.

19. EternalMSC

That is the only flaw with him, his stupidity to cross the line into the neglectfulness of sportsmanship for self-glory. But I suppose it was written in the scripts of sport eh.

20. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

The pace has gone, Hamilton would decimate him unfortunately. His brains may still be working, but the age has caught up to him.