1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints vs Everton - Sat Oct 1st 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Che’s Godlike Thighs, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Well its time the owner of the house opens the fridge, opens it, and can smell the stench and slings it out quick then.

in the nicest way though, as I do have respect for Ralph, and like him. So, maybe not a Zoom number for him.

2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

100% this. I was at Spurs in February and we played them off the park in their own stadium. It was one of my best nights as a Saints fan and Ralph played a big part in it. Which is why I take offence to comments such as "Ralph's a fraud".

3. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Ralph played a huge part in that evening v Spurs, despite the best efforts of the ref iirc.

No one is really saying Ralph is a fraud, think there was a solitary comment, and that may have been tongue in cheek or frustration, but these great games are just so infrequent Tom. It really is time, I think it is time, I just hope it happens now before another possible mauling at City. And yep, I know Ralph has done well v the big teams before, but this feels very, very different. I wouldn’t want his last game with us being another 8, 9, or even worse result, wouldn’t feel right.

For me, he needs to go today.

LincolnSaint likes this.
  4. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Actually someone did which is why I said that.

Edit: I should read all the post before commenting!

5. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

Tom, with respect mate the spurs game was one half decent result. It in no way makes up for the rest of the ****e we've been served up. For every Spurs game there's far worse results served up to tip the balance (and I'm not even talking about the obvious 9-0s)

I think "fraud" is the wrong term. The guy is obviously a football manager, sadly for us, he's just not a very competent one

garysfc and Negative Creep like this.
  6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> You could at least admit it was a fantastic result (which it was).

7. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I think he could be and is a competent football manager. I just think he’s been too damaged by things here, become way too introspective/obsessive/stubborn, and has gone off.

8. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Take offence <laugh>

garysfc and Saintmagic like this.
  9. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

Absolutely, he might move elsewhere and be a cracking manager. He's just really really ****e for us. I genuinely worry how much of a Ralph legacy we'll be left with when he goes, he was given way too much sway with his "playbook"

I know I'm doom and gloom at the best of times, but this season has a real air of the season we were relegated last time. I put 100% of blame on SR for not getting rid of him during the summer. He was never going to turn it around. It was madness to think it'd change this time around

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's far too strong. Things may have gone stale with him charge but for a large chunk of his time in charge he's been excellent for us.

11. Le Tissier's Laces

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I do think it's absolutely time now. He has a bit of a hex over Pep, so it might be worth keeping him on till Sunday, but regardless of the result there, it's time.

12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, I unfortunately have to agree. Having said that I don't want any caretaker management. Get the replacement lined up first.

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Suspect that's what they're up to.

I hope so.

Makes me sad, but that's where we are right now, and getting a new manager is always exciting and scary in equal measure, so I'm in.

tomw24 likes this.
  14. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Well over the top, you've had us relegated before a ball has been kicked season after season.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  15. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Some of you guys have been spending too much time playing football manager or some other football management game.

Ralph ****ed up with his team selection for the first half on Saturday, but he got it right in the end. The second half was a great game.

He has a very young and inexperienced squad that he has to get to mature very quickly and let us be honest we don't not have a true captain on the pitch. As much as we like JWP he is more suited to club captain than team captain as he does not lead by example, nor does he direct any part of the play when he is on the pitch.

Ralph has to develop this squad and he is going to **** up occasionally. We all need to be a little more patient ourselves and perhaps it is us fans who need some of the qualities of a true leader rather than being quick to jump on the least failing.

16. Le Tissier's Laces

I’d normally agree with you, Godders, but I genuinely think that a change is needed now as he seems bereft of ideas and motivation himself. I think he’s a good manager, but the job has broken him. He’s been here a fair while now, and sometimes a fresh voice and approach is needed.

SaintinNZ likes this.
  17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I hope that he is given a few more games and also hope that he perseveres with picking the new signings and hopefully seeing them form into an effective team. We obviously have to show incremental improvement on the pitch and also pick up a few points as well. I'm still thinking of the WC break as a deadline, if we are around the bottom 3 then it will probably be time up for Ralph.

18. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

That's been my line for sometime but the manner in which we lose games, is the urgent work. I can take some defeats but when we keep on gifting teams, like we are, if that doesn't change then I think he will be on his way, unfortunately, I like him as a character very much.

19. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

If we had lost on Saturday with the same XI that he picked for Villa then I would agree but I want to see if he can make an effective team from mainly the new signings. The second half was pretty good after a poor first half in which they played like a team that hadn't played with each other a lot.

20. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Sorry, Thats bolllocks. He’s done ok with limited budget, etc, etc. We’ve had some excellent results & a few good periods but a load of dross as well & that comment above, imo is very telling. Edit: Nearly as bad as saying he’s a fraud! And if the Athletic’s statements have any substance, that explains a lot. ​

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022