1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Saint Theo!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Dec 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think Saints are a bit naive. Have done for a while. Obviously Koeman’s left but I always think back to very early July 2015 when he said at a press conference that he knew Alderweireld wanted to join us because Toby had told him that. A reporter asked when Toby had said that and Koeman replied that it had been before the end of the season. Sure enough, Alderweireld signed for Spurs a few days later.

2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Either they are naïve , or they think we are stupid .

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

You can be confident because you are still talking with player/agent/club and yet still lose out in the end for any number of reasons. And there can be a top price that you won't go above.....anyone buying a house will know that....you can be extremely keen and even planning the curtains and then get gazumped. Don't read that as incompetent as long as we are also pursuing other players....which I assume we are. Only time will tell.

If I was Theo I would probably have chosen Everton too....if all things were equal. We are not in a good position and would he really want to go back where he started from. There was a better case for Everton than for us.....even if we offered more (which I doubt).

AshbySaint likes this.
  4. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I'm beginning to wonder. We announced the sale of VvD - or Liverpool did - before the window opened. So we can shift em out quick enough when the incentive is there, but we can't get em in despite the incentive of our current league position.

It's fair to say that doubt is setting in, yes.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Whilst I partially agree with that, playing devil's advocate there will be posters (possibly including yourself) on the 1st of February saying that 'its done now so no point in whinging'.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    st_brendy, Schad, Craig smith and 3 others like this.
  6. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah there is no point in moaning come 1st of Feb as we can't do anything about it then. If the fans have any voice at all that the club takes notice of then now is the time to be exercising it.

I said before the window opened that I didn't think we'd be that active, a loan signing or 2 maybe. It still seems that way to me, like the club believe the squad we have is good enough to stay up (probably right) and are just waiting for it to click under Pellegrino (maybe it will, no signs of it really so far bar the odd half of football here and there)

7. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I was hoping we would have some deals lined up for the start of the window so i'm certainly frustrated. Leaving it late in this window will be getting dangerous. I imagine other clubs know that too though and might be using that to extort more money from us. Still, it's the board's job to get it over the line and will deserve the stick if they fail to do it.

8. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsmCome on come on Mr Reed and his pals know exactly what they are doing,so let’s not go slating what a fantastic job they are doing running our club :emoticon-0145-shake

9. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

It is obviously so bloody easy to run a multi-million pound Premier League football club. I mean, we've all done it on Football Manager loads of times, so like, what the **** Saints board, sort it out.

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

You've changed... I like it <laugh>

11. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

Three consecutive top 8 finishes!!!!!! #LesReedFootballGenius

12. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Rather, it's that we apparently were in on him for 2-3 months. During that time, Arsenal was apparently willing to sell, and Walcott was (at least for a time) willing to sign. At some point, presumably at least a couple weeks back (because transfers don't tend to resolve in an hour), Walcott cooled on us and Everton came in for him, willing to meet the demands of both player and club.

Despite that, we talked up our bid for Walcott to the press on multiple occasions in recent days, to the point where we're now putting articles in the Echo about having to rethink our transfer window more than two weeks in because we totally thought we were signing him until now. That's a bit odd.

13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Close it down

14. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

With a different manager our squad is more then good enough to stay up.

15. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Yes, no point any more.

saintrichie123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.