1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sack hughes

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by ricc full, May 14, 2017.

1. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

Get nobody in. Should be an interesting season next year. I honestly thought that stoke fans were different than the others who when the going gets tough we just say sack the manager. How wrong I have been. Now I'm in the position where we sack the manager and lose the dead weight of negative fans, Mardarse fans and unrealistic fans. Please feel free to put yourselves into the appropriate group which suits yourselves. You really couldn't make it up. Hopefully we go down next season. I really hope so and give our position to a more fitting team. What a joke, you do know why we are called "supporters" don't you. 90 % of stoke fans are a disgrace to the club.

2. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

What it says on the tin.
    Remember when teams were afeared to come to the Brit...THAT's what I want bacl

3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A bit harsh Ricc, I don't think we can escape the fact that we have had 18 months of poor performances.

4. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

And nearly 90% of the team ( and I use the word advisedly) have been a disgrace to the supporters the past 18 months

5. Smithers

Forum Moderator

On reflection my view is the following, and for the record I'm not an advocate of sacking.

I never liked Pulis, but what he did and got out of the initial promotion team was genius. However at the end of his tenure, having spent and mis-spent significant amounts of money, the results didn't justify the inputs. He then got a season to put it right, which he arguably did everything he could to fight change. His departure was the right time, but I don't think Coates wanted to sack him, it was simply TP's God complex that made it untenable.

Fast forward Hughes, not my choice. Never committed to a club or proved consistency over a decent period - like I said above - TP was not planned as a sacking and Hughes was a forced decision.

Enter stage left. Hughes makes positive changes, spends some decent money making good and bad buys. Style changes and the results gets better with our best ever finishes justifying the man and the money - happy days.

After a positive start and a decent run in the 2016 season, the club were presented with a golden opportunity to have a legendary one of season of a life time AKA Leicester. We failed in that challenge which is acceptable in isolation. Whilst there were issues at hand, and the squad balance being called into question, Hughes deserved the opportunity to rectify the blip.

This season is factually the worst, but more importantly it's what's going on, on the pitch that is the issue - very similar to TP's final year. There seems no clear vision of tactics and apathetic under performing talent on the pitch and talent off the pitch being wasted or not wanted - hard to justify when your not getting the results.

Hughes has had his time, whether that justifies a sacking - I don't know? What I can say is that the club is not in a position to plan a change and that is negligent, and gets clubs relegated. If a change were to be made, it had to be now with a full summer for a new manager.

The biggest rule in business is never not make a decision. If you make a wrong one for the right reasons, so be it, but never hesitate and dither.

Pottered Haddock likes this.
  6. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

<applause>
    Best post on this topic...well said Smithers.
    And on those wise words...not another peep from me

7. jowlermonkey

jowlermonkey Well-Known Member

realistically we are in need of an overhaul, whether that includes the manager I don't know, we have too many players at the end of their careers and others underperforming. if we are going to replace the manager then it needs to be done quickly to get the new guy some time to settle but I would give him one more season to get back to where we were and inject some younger players into the squad over the old guard who have served us well but are now past their best.

Pottered Haddock and Smithers like this.
  8. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I think the only unknown mitigating factor is who is responsible for the squad? If it's Hughes then it adds more weight to a change, if it's the board then I don't know what the answer is.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  9. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Pulis IN <diva><diva>

10. jowlermonkey

jowlermonkey Well-Known Member

Now wash your mouth!! <whistle>

ProudPotter likes this.

11. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Why would you sack Sparky ?? It's not as if you are a big team and a top 6 contender is it.....Beware what you wish for as you can do far worst than steady Sparky. His job is to keep you out of the bottom three and not reaching the top 6....He has done very well for you....

12. Smithers

Forum Moderator

If that was the case then the board wouldn't have sacked Pulis. If your goal is to not get relegated you go to Big Sam or TP. Having finished 3 consecutive years in 9th and arguably last year could have been 7th or maybe even 6th I think it's fair to say we are a solid top 10 team. So finishing 16th with no siginificant cup runs on the money invested is not acceptable.

However that's not the main issue, the squad balance and the abject poor performances are.

13. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Swap your guy...at least you lot showrd some fighting spirit and I reckon if youhad him from the start of the season then you would have not had to rely on last minute escapes...just my opinion of course

14. Smithers

Forum Moderator

On another note I think Hughes is one of those managers that performs better over a shorter tenure. That's not a criticism just an observation.

I notice Watford are getting rid of their Manager, as he did not meet the clubs expectations. Their league position is not dissimilar to ours, and Bilic is likely to leave West Ham aswell.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  15. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Watford are a basket case...9 managers in 8 seasons or something like that.

Short term = Mourinho & Hughes...track records eh