1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RIP FEBRUARY

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Tigerglenn, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

I met him, very briefly, last year.

What an absolute gent he was, a lovely man.

RIP Dave.

2. Cityzen

Cityzen Well-Known Member

Sad. Enjoy the Hairy Bikers programmes.

3. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

What a shame, two brilliant blokes, RIP Dave.

4. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

RIP
    Very moving watching his first programme about his cancer
    Genuinely nice bloke

5. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Bloody hell that got me

Dave Myers: The Hairy Bikers star, who had cancer, dies at 66

Dave Myers, one half of TV cooking duo The Hairy Bikers, has died at the age of 66, two years after revealing he had been diagnosed with cancer.

Myers, from Barrow-in-Furness, found fame alongside Si King 20 years ago.

The bearded pair were known for travelling around the UK and the world on their motorbikes, sampling and cooking food from different regions.

King said he "will miss him every day and the bond and friendship we shared over half a lifetime".

Others paying tribute included fellow celebrity chef James Martin, who called him "a very special man".

please log in to view this image

Image caption,
    Myers and King pictured while filming their latest series, The Hairy Bikers Go West
    In a post on X on Thursday, King wrote: "I'm afraid I bear some sad news. Most of you will know Dave has been fighting cancer for the past couple of years.

"Last night, on 28th February 2024, with Lili, Dave's wife, his family, close friend David and myself by his side, he passed away peacefully at home. All who knew Dave are devastated at his passing. His beloved wife brought him such happiness as did her children, Iza and Sergiu who Dave loved like his own.

"Personally, I am not sure I can put into words on how I feel at the moment. My best friend is on a journey that for now, I can't follow.

"I will miss him every day and the bond and friendship we shared over half a lifetime. I wish you God's speed brother; you are and will remain a beacon in this world. See you on the other side. Love ya."

please log in to view this image
    IMAGE SOURCE, GETTY IMAGES
    Image caption,
    The Hairy Bikers were honoured at the Fortnum & Mason Food and Drink Awards 2023
    King continued: "I know Dave and his family would want me to thank all of you who sent messages of support in recent times. It meant the world to him, his family and all The Hairy Bikers team. I am sending you all much love and gratitude for those simple acts of kindness, generosity and spirit. We are eternally grateful for them.

"May I ask you all for one further kindness and allow Lili, his wife, his family, close friends and I some time and some peace to process our huge loss. I am sure I will see you all soon."

6. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Sad,Sad,Sad...Such a passion for food and life.

RIP.

GLP, Shag, Heimdallr and 5 others like this.
  7. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

Dave Myers. A good man. RIP.

8. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

Last thing i remember reading towards the end of 2023, was that his cancer was in remission. Cruel.

Howden Tigress likes this.
  9. steverico

steverico Well-Known Member

Came in from work and we were talking about Dave Myers’s passing, RIP, and wife said, wasn’t he married to a fallopian type person? wtaf, eh what? Realised, laughing my head off.

Filipina person she meant.

10. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Romanian.

11. steverico

That makes it worse then

12. Large Elephant

Large Elephant Well-Known Member

So very sad. Had the pleasure of meeting Dave (& Si) a couple of times. Two of the nicest guys I ever met and so enthusiastic about food (and bikes). Enjoyed their TV programmes too - despite me rarely cooking anything more complicated than toast! RIP Dave - you will be missed.

13. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed watching the Hairy Bikers. Both seemed very grounded and a pair you would genuinely enjoy a pint with down the pub.

Loved the Route 66 Series.

Ride on in peace Dave

14. steverico

Just heard about Martin this morning, he has been my accountant for about 6 years, bloody shame as his wife got cancer and died about 2 years ago, he had a disabled daughter who he looked after and was in the process of selling his family home and doing up a bungalow near Fair Maid, I was going to quote for it in November but it was a bigger job than I thought so turned it down.
    Always loved to talk about City, as you say mates with Ash and also David Meyler, be a big turnout at the funeral I would imagine, Only started his pension last year as well, bloody typical.