1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic RIP December

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by FLG, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Sondra Locke, age 74. She was ok in those Eastwood films. RIP

2. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

Strange carry on there Plummy - reports on the beeb reckon she passed on the 3rd of November but it's only being reported now?

3. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Strange yes. Have to confess that detail had passed me by...

4. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

She was beyond brilliant.... I have some work of hers with Ramsey Lewis....

5. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I just thought this was so touching.

Chas Hodges remembered by Dave Peacock
    Sun 16 Dec 2018 08.00 GMT
    The first time I met Chas he was thumbing a lift home to his girlfriend’s house after missing the bus. I was with my friend, Brian Juniper, whom I’d known since I was six – Brian stopped, because he and Chas had gone to senior school together. We dropped him off at his girlfriend, Joan’s – she’s still his wife now – and I saw his records there, and it was all the stuff I liked. Bluegrass like Flatt and Scruggs, and Jerry Lee Lewis. That was 1963. We struck up a musical friendship then that never ended.

We didn’t play together for years, though, because we were both bassists, and Chas was having hits with [British R&B band] Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers [managed by Brian Epstein, and the Beatles’ support act on their final European tour]. But at parties together we’d grab a banjo and go on the piano and start singing old songs. Our relations kept saying we should get together but we didn’t take any notice. We had identical east London families with a singing musical tradition, who knew all of these old songs that many people don’t remember any more, other than the ones we recorded and stopped from getting extinct. We’d all get together every Christmas, our families. I really miss that.

Chas was the most happy-go-lucky bloke you’d ever meet. I never knew him lose his temper all those years. Not once. He was a determined type of bloke too – if he put his mind to something he would do it. When he passed his driving test he couldn’t find the car key, and he’d only been home from the test 15 minutes. But he had this bar of soap out of the back of his house – he’d had the foresight to push the key imprint into it – then he got a bit of metal, copied the imprint in the bar of soap, put it in the ignition and it started straightaway. He was clever like that. Such a clever musician too. A sense of timing like no one you knew. Especially singing the chorus to Rabbit. The timing in that is a different thing. I remember Cliff Richard saying to us: “How the hell do you do that?” But we were telepathic with each other, really. We only had to look at each other to know when the end of a song would come.

Chas really loved gigging. He’d play anywhere – he was a music addict. I’d go around his house when he didn’t know I was coming, and I’d hear him playing inside. He couldn’t stop. But the funny thing is, I think we only had five rehearsals. That is literally true. We used to write a song, forget about it, then get a gig and just get into it. If we made a mistake we’d rectify it as we went along.

We drove a million miles together. Ate a million meals together. I could travel in the car with him for three hours and not say a word – you can do that when you’re so comfortable with somebody. I could phone him up with an idea for a song at two o’clock in the morning and he’d be interested, and vice versa.

And Chas didn’t stop writing, even when he was ill. He rewrote Sling Your Hook to make it about his cancer, and put it on our last album [2018’s A Little Bit of Us], which we recorded in Brian Juniper’s studio. He wrote a song with Paul Whitehouse recently for the new Only Fools and Horses musical. And when we played on Jools Holland in the summer, we played the last song Chas ever wrote, Wonder Where He Is Now, about fishing with his mate when he was a kid. We’re putting it out as a single soon. I thought that’d be a nice tribute for him.

The last time we saw each other we went fishing. He’d seemed to pick up a bit, started to eat properly, and I thought, hello, he’s on the up now. But sadly, it wasn’t to be. We used to have a laugh fishing. Chas used to have a little private fishing lake, and we’d go there, take our little sandwich boxes, and Joan would come along and make us a cup of tea. The last picture I’ve got of us together, we’ve got fishing rods in our hands. I’m glad I’ve got that.

I always say to people, Chas and Dave weren’t just a band, they were a way of life. Our wives were best friends – I lost my wife nine years ago, to cancer as well – and I’m godfather to his and Joan’s three children. We were so intertwined, not just in music. Every aspect of our lives. We were just together in everything.

6. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Wolves @Wolves
    All at Wolves are extremely saddened to learn of the passing of former player, Bill Slater CBE, at the age of 91.

7. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Penny Marshall. Laverne from Laverne and Shirley. RIP

8. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

RIP Penny. I liked Laverne and Shirley.

9. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

My uncle Wally passed away aged 84 on Monday in HRI following a short illness.
    19.09.1934 to 17.12.2018. RIP

10. Kempton

Sorry to hear that Duffers. RIP uncle Wally <rose>

The B&S Fanclub likes this.

11. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Condolences.

RIP <peacedove> <rose>

12. cheshireles

cheshireles Well-Known Member

condolences mate, been where you are very recently so can relate

13. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

Condolences

14. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

Condolences.

15. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Condolences

16. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

Condolences

17. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss .

18. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for your kind messages. Much appreciated at this sad time.
    I have to say the doctors and nurses in the Assessment unit in HRI and Ward 8 were top drawer. I know the NHS has its critics, but these people were a credit.
    Cheers and thanks again.

19. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

upload_2018-12-22_12-56-5.png

Just heard that a good friend of my late fathers Frank Barratt and lifelong Hull City fan has passed away well into his nineties.

He first started going in the twenties, so has seen a lot of change in his lifetime. I know he was thrilled when we got to the EPL for the first time.

RIP Frank,you were a gentleman.

20. Kempton

So good that he saw us get there <rose><applause>