1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Relegation Watch

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Cruyff's Turn, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

I am unsure what the implications of that are.The whole division was squashed up with Peterborough relegated on 54 points.It could just mean a more than usually competitive season with anybody beating anybody else,some of the results suggested that was the case.Not convinced that a low points total necessarily means weaker sides.

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

That could be true, CT, but the step up to the PL is getting more difficult all the time. I guess we'll only see how well equipped they are once the season begins.

3. Cruyff's Turn

Yes,from now on the step up will become harder still with the increased payments to Premiership clubs.That is the reason that I was not critical of Chris Hughton over the style of play because I felt survival was the imperative this year.Of course we might have stayed up Lambert style too,we just don't know.

Certainly I think the three promoted sides are up against it,maybe more so than usual.That could benefit us.I know that it's early to forecast but it would not surprise me to see twoof the promoted sides do a QPR/Reading and a whole gaggle of clubs fighting to stay away from 18th spot again.

4. RiverEndRick

But hopefully not us in that gaggle this time, CT!

5. Cruyff's Turn

I wouldn't bet against it because I would only exclude the two Manchesters,The big London three and the two Liverpool clubs from the melee.

6. RiverEndRick

Yes, there's a definite break in the table after Liverpool in 7th. But then we have your maths on our side, CT, and I'm sure you can work your magic again! <laugh>

7. Cruyff's Turn

I think you can safely say that if I am worried then most of us will be.I was comparing last season with this earlier. On the surface of it the results look pretty similar with 47 points and 12th last year compared to 44 and 11th this. Goals scored dropped from 1.37 per game to 1.08 while goals conceded also dropped from 1.74 to 1.53.

Points taken from top six sides rocketed from 8 to 15 with four wins and three draws.That I find an incredible statistic.It means if we had maintained our average results against the top six sides throughout we would have finished higher than we did.