1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Relegation Watch

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Cruyff's Turn, Dec 17, 2012.

1. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

Feel a bit sorry for Wigan. Must be strange to win the FA Cup 4 days ago and now relegated. Mixed feelings for them I'm sure.

2. canary_max

canary_max Well-Known Member

Wigans defence had been their weakness this season
    Thanks for the thread ct, we were bystanders for so long but then got involved near the end

3. canarian

canarian Active Member

That's it then. As for relegation, the last day is meaningless after all the permutations that were on the table. Thanks CT for the most interesting thread, offering both facts and opinions.

4. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

It was sad to see Martinez and the Wigan players after the match. Who can look at that and say that survival is not the most important thing in the PL! Thanks from me as well for the thread, CT - it's been an important part of the season through this nervy final run-in.

Oh, and are you getting enough asparagus this cool spring! <cheers>

5. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Good work on the thread CT.

6. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Don't close the thread yet, CT. If Wigan don't beat Villa and get less than 38 points, I have to eat humble pie and admit that you were right and I was wrong.

7. YellowLittle

YellowLittle Well-Known Member

Feel for poor old Wigan, would loved to have seen them stay up, purely because they go into each season as underdogs.

8. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Having read your post VC, I am very tempted to close the thread just so that if the above did happen, you could then create your very own 'Humble pie, you were right and I was wrong' thread for CT <laugh> <laugh>

9. GozoCanary

So an apology in a discreet little corner of the board is not enough, uh? I have to be put in the stocks so people can throw turnips at me. <laugh>

10. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

To answer your questions firstly,yes the asparagus is in full swing.There is a big farm near me so as the moon moves towards full me and the boy have the black boot polish out ready for a midnight raid,been having it already=on granary toast with melted butter is favourite.

Onto the thread itself it's been fun doing it.I have long spells at work with not much to do so the analyis has been nicely time consuming.I know some got twitchy towards the end but ultimately the maths did work.My theory that the eighteenth spot moved up at around a point a week worked like clockwork this season.It was helped by the fact that 19th and 20th were always well adrift,it probably would not have done had seven or eight teams been close at the bottom of the table like in The Championship.

This twitchiness was probably the reason why a few questioned the workings of the theory particiularly when we got to the 30 game mark.But nobody said eighteenth place would rise smoothly with Wigan drawing week in week out.They had a spell when they came up a bit,then hit the buffers.You can call it luck, the difference between that nancy Taarabt ducking the ball for a fortuitous point at QPR then Wigan conceding to Spurs in the 90th minute at home -of course the net result of those two events was a lost point for Wigan.But ultimately Wigan came good for the theory,if not themselves.VC thanks for the apology but it isn't actually due.I stated 18th place would be on 37points and they can't only 35.36 or 38 now.

Finally if that WBA result had come two or three games earlier,for example away at Stoke,how that would have changed things in our camp.Plus it would probably have been them being twitchy towards the end.It's these minute differences that make this such fun.Thanks lads(and lasses) it's been good. CT

11. Cruyff's Turn

Just read through the old posts and found this from March 5th..I suspect my last post was uncharacteristically modest.Wish I had put a tenner on it.

"My early season prediction of37 points for survival or maybe the team on 36 with the better GD"

12. RiverEndRick

I can only say again that it has been very helpful to have this means of objective analysis in such nervy times, CT! <cheers>

13. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Oh yes <laugh> <gets ready to sell turnips>

14. Phuketcanary

Phuketcanary Well-Known Member

Could vietnamcanary please come to the stage? your turnip wielding audience await you!

15. GozoCanary

Vietnamcanary here. Never let it be said that I dodge my turnips.

CT, you were right and I was wrong. 37 points would have been enough for safety.

And thanks for this thread throughout the season. Hopefully next season we won't even be involved in a thread like this.

16. Cruyff's Turn

Yes,it had to be a bit of a speculative shot didn't it? Generally the maths works more or less but of course anything can happen especially in a one off match.The Wigan v Villa draw yesterday was the clincher,so 36 +GD would have done it.I have to say that I was never really fearful of relegation.The Villa defeat was the nearest but I did expect that to happen.I will open another at the beginning of August and a Championship Watch for those interested.

17. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Relegation watch in August? <yikes>

18. Cruyff's Turn

Well it's mid winter in Oz!

19. RiverEndRick

I also hope that City doesn't get dragged into relegation issues next year. The three promoted teams, Cardiff(87), Hull(79) and Watford(77) have the lowest point totals I can remember in a long time. I think they will find it really tough in the PL. Finally, congratulations on the triumph of your maths in the end. Look forward to this next year, CT.

20. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I hope you're right RER, but you're a bit previous with Watford, they don't beat Palarse till next Monday!