1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Real Madrid Partnership

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Roo, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Remember the petition that got posted in the "summer transfer window" thread? well, here's an update. Did any of you sign it? Good work if you did, lads. <ok>
    Hopefully this pathetic relationship will be sacked off and we'll partner with a club who actually shows some respect.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-consider-ditching-real-madrid-2275785

Tottenham consider ditching Real Madrid partnership after fans sign online petition

Spurs have placed their ‘strategic partnership’ under formal review after the relationship reached breaking point

And pressure to scrap the partnership is growing after nearly 5,000 fans signed an online petition that has been passed on to Tottenham officials.

A White Hart Lane source said: “People at the club are well aware of the petition and the partnership with Real Madrid is under review.”

Spurs were deeply angered by Real’s aggressive tactics in their pursuit of Gareth Bale and were shocked to see the Spanish club sell Mesut Ozil to their fierce rivals Arsenal.

The partnership between Tottenham and Real was announced as part of the Luka Modric move to Spain last summer.

It was claimed the two clubs would work together in respect of players, coaching, best practices and commercial relationships.

But according to sources in Spain, Real give little credence to the partnership other than president Florentino Perez referring to Spurs as an ‘amigo’ club.

That so-called friendship now appears to be at breaking point, with Tottenham seriously debating whether the partnership should be abandoned.

There are fears within White Hart Lane that continuing with the partnership could spark more questions in January, when Arsenal are set to try again to take Karim Benzema and Angel di Maria from the Bernabeu.

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis, who used to work in the MLS, has known Real director general Jose Angel Sanchez for more than 10 years after the Spanish club tried to market themselves in the United States.

Another source said: “Real Madrid have not respected the spirit of the agreement with Tottenham and have not showed any intent to do so. They also clearly have a relationship with Arsenal.”

Other than selling Ozil to Arsenal, Real loaned Nuri Sahin to Liverpool last season and nearly allowed Fabio Coentrao to join Manchester United on loan this summer.

Tottenham have not signed a single player from Real since the partnership was announced, despite struggling with injuries in midfield and attack at different times.

The online petition calling for the end of Tottenham’s strategic partnership with Real attracted a total of 4,841 signatures and was passed to the club on Thursday.

So, who would you like to see us partner with, should the current arrangement be broken off?

For me, it's a club like Ajax. Despite the dutch league not being able to compete financially, they are one of, if not, the best role model club in the world when it comes to football.
    I'd love for our youngsters to be sent there to learn the "Ajax way". I think their training methods could also be hugely beneficial to our club. I also believe that both clubs share a similar philosophy and would compliment one another nicely.

Finally, when it comes to us potentially buying 1 or 2 of their players, it'll be nice to know that Arsenal legend Marc Overmars is selling top quality assets to his once bitter rival! <laugh>

2. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I think we just need to keep our partnership with Swindon going but other than that, and maybe another club in the Championship to send loan players to, I'd rather we stand alone. I don't want us relying on another club for favours, it only leads to disappointment like the Real "partnership".

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Their summer long state-sponsored media onslaught has been totally contemptible.
    The only "relationship" Spurs need with them is the one where the Levy tax on our players
    is huge, and they spend all summer searching down the back of the sofa to find the money
    to pay it.

4. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I think the only partnership for a football club should be with its own supporters. Arrangements can be made with others when it suits but 'marriages' no!

5. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Yay! I posted that petition on here, and while I didn't start it I feel like I've 'helped', and considering the week I'm having that's a big deal :)

6. The RDBD

"I'd love for our youngsters to be sent there to learn the "Ajax way". I think their training methods could also be hugely beneficial to our club. I also believe that both clubs share a similar philosophy and would compliment one another nicely."

An academy relationship with Ajax and Sporting Lisbon would IMHO be great.
    Both of those clubs evidently teach their kids to play the right way.

7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The thing is, if we partnered with Ajax we'd be like factitious are in our relationship as we sign their best player every summer (last year it was Vertonghen, this year Eriksen) so if we were in a relationship like that we'd have to get off our high horse regarding ours with the Bastards of Madrid, plus Cove would probably be annoyed that we were putting ourselves at the forefront of the Eredivise strip mining that happens every summer.

Sporting have a very good record with youth development (notable names to come though include: Figo, Simao, Cristiano Ronaldo, Moutinho, Varela, Quaresma, Nani, Nuno Valente), whilst many of their U19 team get regular time playing for Sporting B.

Dinamo Zagreb would be a very good club to partner up with - their record youth development is phenomenal, plus with Croatia joining the EU there wouldn't be any hassle with work permits.

8. The RDBD

"so if we were in a relationship like that we'd have to get off our high horse regarding ours with the Bastards of Madrid"

I hope the club were not indulging in a media onslaught in Holland regarding Eriksen, that
    was even remotely close to what Spurs experienced this summer for Bale.

But yes there are a couple of clubs out there that Spurs would benefit greatly from getting to
    experience their coaching regimes.

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Of course, there are options closer to home - Southampton, Villa and Leeds being obvious examples (although Leeds is the only one that is likely at this moment in time)

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Would love us to sack off this Madrid "partnership". Never liked them much anyway and over the past 2 years they've really ****ed me off with their conduct.

Think a partnership with either Ajax or Dinamo Zagreb would be great. We could learn a lot from them in how they develop youngsters, use their techniques and strategies to hopefully get the best from our young lads. In return we can offer the likes of Ajax any first option on players we sell/ loan and Zagreb can be given some sort of financial support, a annual fee or somewhat.

We don't need to be in a partnership with one like Madrid, it's of no benefit to us what so ever.

11. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I don't think we have to poach players to have a relationship. It could be at the U21 level with players swapping clubs for experience in other leagues or for 1st team experience. Also, like was supposed to be with Real, there could be things like best practices, training and what-not

12. The RDBD

Agree that if relationships with overseas clubs are entered, it has to be both respectful and
    of material benefit to them (not basically in the transfer fees they get if we repeatedly asset-strip them) .

"We don't need to be in a partnership with one like Madrid, it's of no benefit to us what so ever."

We know this "relationship" for them was all about having first dibs on Bale.
    When they want our future talent, they can just indulge in a plain old bidding war with
    the Sugga Daddy FCs.

13. The RDBD

"like was supposed to be with Real, there could be things like best practices, training and what-not"

Their "best practice" appears to be state-sponsored media antagonism of any player they covet +
    bank-rolling the transfer fees when they cannot afford it. How many of their squad came thru the ranks ??

Do Spurs need a "relationship" to learn this ??

14. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Not with Real, but who would argue that we could learn something about youth development from Ajax, sporting and the like?

15. The RDBD

The thing is, would even an academy relationship be one-sided ??
    In the case of Sporting, a guy I spoke to at the last Nextgen game said that
    several of their best kids were absent because the senior squad was threadbare
    and they had been called into the fold.

Very few PL clubs have academies producing talent that could do that.

16. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When the partnership was signed I said all along Spurs would see no benefit.

17. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

What I would like to know, is what exactly we were supposed to be getting out of it? It's all well and good coming out with these terms such as "best practices", but I'd like to know what was involved. - some examples perhaps? It's all so vague.
    Bearing in mind we've lost 2 of our best players 2 seasons in a row, as well as a major asset go to our rivals, and seen absolutely nothing in return, I think the club owe us an explanation or some sort of statement.

Daniel levy is a clever man. Everyone knows that. - but this one has left a lot of us baffled.

18. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Not nothing roo, don't forget the £120m we've received which has strengthened our squad considerably (IMO)

But I know what you mean. They would have had to pay that regardless. We've got nothing out of the actual relationship, but if you ignore the fee you have to ignore the fact we sold them 2 players. All we have seemingly got out the relationship is them tapping

19. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Not really, I don't recall leading members of staff (in RM's case, Zidane) and senior playing staff (Sergio Ramos, Casillas) on camera lauding Eriksen at Spurs before and during official interest.

The 'partnership' as it stands today, with RM having raped us over the bonnet twice, is an embarrassment for us Spurs fans, and I would love clarification from Levy as to what stands for, particularly moving forward.

You make a very good point raising Sportings academy approach. As for academies around Europe that produce the goods, i.e. players that actually end up playing first team football around Europe, I found this link, and it would seem some of the the old Eastern block countries have been overlooked...all these players whose name ends in 'ic' come from somewhere.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/best-academy-europe-094426548.html

20. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not sure what advantage any of our partnerships is supposed to give us.
    We signed Sandro from Internacional before starting that one and we've seen nothing from them since. The Damiao saga has been particularly annoying.
    The other deals are with clubs that I just can't see offering us anything, so what's the point in any of them?