1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Racing hubs

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by floridaspearl, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Remember the Racing for Change Project (total waste of time and money). We had a thread on it but I think it may have been on BBC606. I used to be able to link back to that for years but I think it has been totally closed down now. Some of the pieces on there may come to fruition, but not by choice

2. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Where as before bookies were in the driving seat using other sports to limit the value they offered racing punters. As I’ve said repeatedly, we live in a different world where the bookies won’t be able to treat their punters like mugs.

3. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

you’ve got people betting on a virtual national!!

4. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Not me.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I dug back and found a post which refers to the Racing for Change project giving a link to their offer for suggestions. In that post I mentioned I had emailed them (Racing for Change). So I searched my emails and from there discovered the link I had provided for them to view our debate on BBC606 (still accessible at the time via a direct link) what racing needed. I pointed out to them that there was no point in painting doors when the roof is caving in. Unfortunately although I found the direct link which took us directly to the thread, that link now takes us to their sporting page (surprised it took me anywhere to be honest): So unfortunately, our very constructive debate has been lost forever. **** it

6. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

That's why I suggest every other day. That's why I suggest mainly regional.

I think Racing has to make an effort to return for a lot of people's sakes. But it has to do it responsibly and a step at a time.

7. Bustino74

Yes a great shame it wasn't archived for a bit longer. That's the BBC for you.

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I should have asked them if threads could be exported so that I could have resurrected any worth resurrecting. As they remained accessible for years it didn't occur to me to even copy the thread. There was some good stuff in that thread which has suddenly (possibly) become relevant. Hind sight <doh>

9. Bustino74

Jump racing can't come back for some time because of the higher likelihood of injury. Flat racing has few falls, fewer injuries though if there is a fall they can be nasty.
    But the resource flat will draw is manageable, the benefits are huge. Racing stables and racing people are used to managing infection and will have been practising distancing on the gallops anyway. Alternate stalls can be used. There's lots of ways of being creative. To roll over and say this is impossible is not the way to go.

10. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

I don't think a two week delay is enough and pushing the Derby back one week would be making it very tight to the 2000 Guineas.

I notice the Kentucky Derby is showing as taking place on the 5th September now and that is a 4 month push back. Perhaps that is a more realistic target and if Jump Racing is pushed back to at least July, it makes no sense to have the Flat back two months earlier given the situation we find ourselves in.

The USA are lucky in that their Triple Crown is ridiculously close together anyway and it won't be like our situation where the Leger is three months behind the Derby in a normal year. Surely the Leger can be moved closer to the Derby but when are we going to have Royal Ascot and the other major summer meetings?

I am hoping for the best but fear the Classics will be a way off yet.

11. NassauBoard

So given that stalls comment, are you expecting the horses to race 2 metres wide of each other? It’s just not practical in the current restrictions.

The best we can hope for is that the restrictions ease in a month or so and then racing can look at how it gets back going. Until distancing has been eased then I can’t see how any sport can resume in the UK.

I saw yesterday that Martin Smith was upset that others weren’t distancing on the Newmarket gallops.

12. Bustino74

Of course not. But as horses/riders can be in closer proximity at the start for longer than at any other time it would make sense to distance them. Getting this virus is all about probability and if racing comes back an effective Hazop would have to be done at all stages. The only probability that's zero for any individual is if you totally isolate from everyone for 14 days and then it only means anything if that any becomes everyone. We therefore have to live by minimising probabilities.
    So easy to ridicule it (not my idea but a trainer) but if it comes back changes will need to be made that minimises that probability. I am impressed by Victoria's approach. They even shutdown because one jockey had been in the vicinity of someone who was a certified case. We would have to be as stringent and only this discipline being accepted by all will make it work.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  13. Bustino74

The programme would have to be condensed. We seem incapable of running on the turf after mid-November for a number of reasons.

I can't see Royal Ascot taking place quite honestly.

14. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, USA all racing behind closed doors with few issues, no idea why we cant do it here

the whole thing is complete nonsense anyway, 100% fake pandemic, the biggest non event in the history of human deaths, bog standard 0.1% mortality common cold, biggest psyop since 9/11

15. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

I agree with your first paragraph.
    Your 2nd paragraph is disgusting

karlos5001 likes this.
  16. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Jockey Club Racecourses have only now got around to saying that the Guineas meeting on 2nd-3rd May and the Derby/Oaks meeting on 5th-6th June have been postponed.

It has been obvious to anyone who understands how a calendar works that these meetings were never going to happen on the original dates.

I did manage to find St Leger betting, although it was ominously under "National Hunt" on Oddschecker. According to the page it states that the race is on a Thursday but who knows. This was the betting:-

Innisfree16

Mogul16

Waldkonig16

Kameko20

Military March20

Celtic High King25

Do You Love Me25

Monarch Of Egypt25

Pinatubo25

Tuscan Gaze25

Armory33

Brentford Hope33

Convict33

Gauntlet33

Montather33

Brentford Hope then Stick?

17. As We Know

embarrassing from all involved, amazing how no one has the balls to stand up in the face of blatant propaganda and fear mongering and act on the actual data, what a pathetic, subordinate world this has become, the vast majority are utterly indoctrinated, self policing slaves, no better than cattle, so far away from reality they are lost causes, they believe a fake history and a fake present

sat back and allowed our lives and freedom to be taken without so much as a whimper, based on pictures on a ****ing screen, the ramifications of this will be decades long, on a lie, did we not learn from WMDs not to trust the tv and political puppets?

most of you deserve the world we will be left with, not even 1%, not even 1 ****ing percent of deaths from this fake virus, mindless thick ****s

18. NassauBoard

I see the asylum opened the doors.

karlos5001 likes this.
  19. As We Know

20. As We Know