1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Racing hubs

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by floridaspearl, Apr 3, 2020.

1. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

In the current climate horse racing has been kicked into the long grass and everyone has more pressing issues to deal with.
    As this is a racing forum and we are fans, I’d be interested to hear what everyone thought about this idea that we could create racing hubs round the country. Newmarket seems to be in a prime position to take centre stage being the hq of racing in the U.K.
    The idea being put forward is for Newmarket based trainers to run horses on both courses with out the need for horses to be shipped in from all over the country. They would use Newmarket based jockeys and officials and most of the horses could be walked to and from the course. Horses could be stalled every other limiting the numbers but at the same time social distancing. Obviously behind closed doors.
    I think it’s a very practical idea if we are to see a resumption of racing in this country and boy do we need a distraction right now.

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I think it’s a horrid idea which will put further pressure on the smaller yards that are placed far and wide in the UK. Racing should either be open for all trainers and horses or completely be closed. My concern with this approach is that it would be a measure that could continue for longer than required as a “precaution” and further impede the smaller yards elsewhere in the country.

I would only want racing to resume if all were able to enter and run. Otherwise what is the point?

Bustino74 and Chaninbar like this.
  3. floridaspearl

There won’t be any racing in the foreseeable otherwise and unfortunately nearly all the small yards will go under.

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

...and I dread to think what that will mean

5. NassauBoard

There won’t be any racing for the foreseeable anyway. If this approach kicked off it would make a further tier of racing on the flat. Either you are a big yard or a yard in a racing centre. If not you can just f off.

to me it would cause mayhem for the sport and I’m very opposed to it.

6. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

I had the same reaction to this Newmarket-centric plan. I think it was put forward by Tate.
    Earlier I wrote a bit on the Corona site saying I could see a case for a regional set up to reduce travelling but only to be had alongside open UK meets.

My plan (for what it's worth) would be to start on May 1st with a 2 week delayed programme. On May 1st there should be a one day regional at Newbury, quickly followed by one day regional meets at Thirsk, Ayr and Newmarket. We should then have every other day regional meets coming together for an open meet each Saturday (utilising York, Salisbury, Haydock in addition to the above). The Guineas should be run at a Newmarket one day meeting on the 16th or 17th. The Derby meeting should be put back one week, and it should be the first meeting that allows foreign horses. Al this should be run spectator free. If this goes well two regional meets should be allowed gradually opening these up as experience is gained. Spectators should be allowed once we are clear on immunity etc..

Feel a bit like one of the Self Righteous Brothers.

7. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

I’m just hoping that the Derby gets to take place this year (obviously behind closed doors )

I took a look and remarkably it has taken place every year since it started in 1780.
    It was one of the few events that still took place during both world wars (albeit not at Epsom)

8. floridaspearl

This is more like it. Our lives have changed forever. If this sport just like all the others is to survive it needs to adapt in the foreseeable future. You’ve obviously thought about it and your suggestions make sense.
    For racing to survive yards might have to relocate to these regional hubs like Newmarket, Epsom could also work.. kempton and sandown are about a mile apart why can’t trainers locate to these tracks .

9. NassauBoard

What? Because the tracks don’t have the facilities to be training hubs.

I don’t see what difference a stable lass driving a horse 400 miles has to one driving 10 miles down the road. That is as long as both are using the same protective measures and aren’t stopping at service stations et al.

The bigger issue is that racing shouldn’t be taking key resources away from the health care. Courses need ambulances and medical staff, both of which are going to be of use elsewhere.

I just can’t see how any sport can restart any time soon, the resources are stretched and sports events are a luxury in comparison.

tanktop16 and Cyclonic like this.
  10. floridaspearl

Granted the medical staff are needed elsewhere. On the travel front people will be encouraged to stay local. Children being educated at home will become the norm as will home working. The days of Schlesinger 400 miles are over my friend. None of us like it but it’s a fact of life for at least the next two years.

11. NassauBoard

It doesn’t make any difference if a yard go ten miles or 400. It’s about limiting the spread between people and not geographically. Two very different things.

12. floridaspearl

If one area doesn’t have infections they won’t want people coming in from an infected area and vice versa. You are nit picking. The sport is on the verge of collapse and that’s the best you can come up with. At least someone has come up with an idea, you don’t like it so end of.

13. NassauBoard

the virus is ubiquitous, it’s in every location of the UK. So why would hubs be of benefit?

A flawed idea is worse than just leaving it off in my book. The best and only idea to get racing back soon is to properly self isolate, put pressure of the government to test and to donate money to charities that are looking at vaccines/wider healthcare.

that’s the sensible and only solution for racing, not some half arsed, half baked idea that is will put racing on the front pages for the wrong reasons. Putting people at risk.

14. floridaspearl

So you think the industry can last let’s say two years without racing.?

15. floridaspearl

Apparently not in the scilly isles.

16. NassauBoard

If the medical staff are needed elsewhere then yes it would have to. The Govt would have to bankroll it to survive but it’d have no choice than to do so.

17. floridaspearl

What from that magic money tree that everyone is relying on presently.

18. NassauBoard

Simply put, yes.

The Government would lose more money than its bailing out if industries like racing ceased to exist.

19. floridaspearl

Some of those businesses are unsustainable long term. I’m sure you would admit there is to much racing in this country.

20. NassauBoard

far too much racing and yards will go bust, but racing in this country is reliant on the bookmaker industry and they want quantity not quality of racing.

hopefully this drives some positive changes in the sport. God knows racing in the UK needs it.