1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR vs Birmingham

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Apr 25, 2018.

1. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Saturday 28th April, 2018
    3pm
    Loftus Road​

please log in to view this image
    VS
    please log in to view this image

Previous Meetings;
    Games won: 20
    Games drawn: 14
    Games lost: 22
    Ones to remember;
    17 Jan 1967 Birmingham City v Queens Park Rangers W 1-4 League Cup Semin-final
    07 Feb 1967 Queens Park Rangers v Birmingham City W 3-1 League Cup Semi-final
    17 Oct 1970 Queens Park Rangers v Birmingham City W 5-2 League Division Two
    18 Feb 2017 Birmingham City v Queens Park Rangers W 1-4 League Championship

Ones to forget;
    30 Aug 1969 Birmingham City v Queens Park Rangers L 3-0 League Division Two
    23 Apr 1974 Birmingham City v Queens Park Rangers L 4-0 League Division One

One from a while ago but an enjoyable watch;

Match Preview
    So it seems to me that this season has flown by, and we now find ourselves at the last home game of the season. Depending on our results and other results there is a chance we could finish as high as 12th or as low as 18th. Birmingham, on the other hand, are two places and five points above relegation, and will surely want at least a point to guarantee they don't have a nervous last day of the season, when they face promotion hunting Fulham.

Both Che Adams and Sam Gallagher have seven goals each this year, as Birmingham"s top scorers, which in itself shows where the problems lie at St Andrew's. I hope there will be a good send off for Robinson, Onuoha, Perch and Mackie who could well all be making their final appearance at Loftus Road. This season didn't really promise much, and so I am happy with a secure mid-table finish, after a year in which a few young players have been brought into the fold, and been able to contribute and gain invaluable experience. It gives me hope that in the next few years we will see more younger players come through, and the ones we have continue to improve.

Enjoy the last home game everyone, and hope there is a good atmosphere to see out the season at Loftus Road.

2. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Rodney is still my favorite,

daverangers and QPR Oslo like this.
  3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

After not being able, for various reasons, to watch the last handful of games (possibly I did not miss much), I really look forward sitting down after lunch and relaxing with a big glass of wine and watching the match on the laptop.

I just hope that we put in a decent performance and get a win.

... and should we get a good result, then I hope it will not be the catalyst for a pitch invasion.

4. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Maybe Lumley will play Saturday. He's been recalled from his loan at Blackpool because Ingram has to rest 7 days as a result of being concussed last Saturday, according to WLS.

5. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Possibly. Any ideas for the full starting team?

6. QPR Oslo

No! I could put one up I'd like but what Holloway will do, no idea. I also read on a LFW thead that Luongo has been allowed to take holiday in Dubai for weeks so he gets some rest before World Cup training starts. Didn't see any source for this though.

7. KentGaz

KentGaz Well-Known Member

Mass has been confirmed on offish he’ll miss last two games

QPR Oslo likes this.
  8. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I also really have no idea and will not attempt to embarrass myself. :)

QPR Oslo likes this.
  9. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Not what I would pick, just what I think we might see.....

----------------------Lumley-----------------------
    Perch-----Robinson----Onuoha---- Bidwell
    Wszolek--- Scowen--- Cousins--- Mackie
    ---------Washington------- Smyth-------------

10. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Interesting and thanks for being so courageous.

I presume Perch and Mackie as they are leaving.

Potentially also Onuoha and Robinson.

But what are your thoughts on playing Washington instead of a big target forward of Smith or Sylla?

11. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

It might do Washington some good to have a chance in a couple of games without too much pressure - a goal or two could do wonders for his confidence. I think he might be off in the summer anyway, so a bit of shop window too.

12. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Great. I understand the logic. :)

Thanks for the clarrification.

But with all these "last home match of the season" constraints, then we clearly will not field our strongest team. Possibly it may evolve with the subsitutions?

13. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I can see Mackie and Washington being on the pitch at the end not at the start.
    Perch we might actually need to start (Baptiste has been carrying a leg injury...Robbo may still be ill!)
    I would love to see Furlong and Ned play to

---------------------Lumley-----------------------
    Perch-----Furlong----Onuoha---- Bidwell
    Manning--- Scowen--- Cousins---Wzolech
    ---------Smith------- Smyth-------------

Smithies, Baptiste, Kakay, Mackie, Washington, Eze

Bloemfonteinbilly likes this.
  14. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

From the earlier comments by Holloway and the club it appears that rather than using the last couple of games to build a platform for next season and attempting to entertain the fans after a very trying season, they are instead being used for back-slapping and early holidays. Is the playing side entirely unaware that the early bird window for next term's season tickets closes on Monday? Not impressed.

QPR999 and rangercol like this.
  15. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

That is a little unfair QPRAAGH.... it was not long ago that we were up in arms that we were not given the chance to say good bye to Clint Hill....he and we were only told he was leaving after the end of the season. The club got it in the neck for not giving Clint a decent send off, quite rightly.

Mackie especially deserves a send-off...like him or not, he has given a lot to the club....including that wonderful evening versus Liverpool

Bringing in players like Eze, Smyth, BOS and Kakay has been interesting and entertaining.It has beem ideal to blood them in real matches and perhaps we will see Lumley this saturday

The goodwill/karma shown to Smithies and to Luongo shows we are a caring club....and you never know good karma like that may come back to haunt us in a good way!
    There are many reasons why people are not going to renew...but knowing that Luongo is on holiday and that we get a last chance to sing "Walking in a Mackie Wonderland" isn't one of them surely

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Birmingham City are still not technically safe from relegation and it would be an insult to the other teams fighting for survival to put out a ‘clap them out of the club’ team.

However I have no idea what our strongest team is, I just know it doesn’t include Jamie Mackie. A two minute cameo at the end at most for him.

17. QPR Oslo

Surely Mackie and Perch will just come on for the last few minutes at most, not at all if the game is still up for grabs - and get their thanks after the game is over. Unless of course Perch is needed as cover anywhere at the back. I'd like to see Holloway put out the team to win, and if that includes youngsters all the better. Then if we are winning by a few bring on more youngsters and the retirees at the end. But win!

I'd like to see something like this in 4 2 3 1:

Smithies
    Furlong Ned Robinson Bidwell
    Scowen Freeman
    Smyth Eze Pawel
    Smith

With Lumley, Kakay, Baptiste, Samuel, Sylla, Oteh and Manning on the Bench

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    SW Ranger and Hoop-Leif like this.
  18. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

This would be closer to my prefered first team and it makes sense to honour the departing players towards the end.

However ,I would not be suprised to see Lumley start in goal.

Let's see what Ollie will conjour up.

19. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

I can see us losing this as they have a lot to play for. I hope our lads put in a shift otherwise not fair on the rest of the strugglers.

20. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

For the last couple of seasons we have constantly been one or two results from a relegation battle. Given FFP and the lack of resources compared to the bigger clubs, next season is likely to be another struggle and while it's been great to see the youth policy paying some dividends we will need to continue that development with vigour if we hope to make progress. We have the luxury of a few competitive games at the end of the season to see what might work for next but we can say for sure that Mackie will not be part of the strategy. Most importantly, we should be trying to establish the best options in defence with the assumption that Onuoha and Robinson are moving on. And I still believe that us few souls who turn up at the games these days (and I know that includes you Beth) deserve a fully competitive line up for every game and not a testimonial squad. Finally, like all professional footballers Luongo will make his career decisions in his own best interests and not because a club gave him extra days on the beach.

SW Ranger, QPR999, Rodney and 2 others like this.