1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Project Big Picture

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 12, 2020.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I've found footage of the moment Man Utd and Saltypool proposed the idea...

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

The rest of the clubs across Europe should get together and expel the clubs involved from their leagues and never let them back in.
    You'd lose about a dozen teams and the rest would carry on as normal after a while.
    Make it so that nobody can play them or deal with them, too. Have fun, ****ers!

4. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wall Street getting involved <laugh> Kind of depressing that they're willing to provide $6bn to get this off the ground when there are thousands of other clubs struggling to even survive, due to current circumstances.

The whole thing reeks of elitism and doesn't reward anyone on the merit of performances. I want Arsenal to be competing with Europe's best again, but we need to earn the right to play, not be granted special privileges because of what we've done in the past. Takes the romance out of football, too.

5. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

It’s ridiculous and it rips the heart out of the game. I love seeing us play in Europe even if it’s a team of mechanics from some far flung corner of Eastern Europe but the fabric of the game is in local communities and rivalries between clubs and fans.

Ultimately I think this will harm the clubs involved. The quality of the product is undoubtedly poorer for not having fans in the ground right now and what makes European ties exciting is that they are special and different and essentially random each time. Playing the same teams each season will become mundane for fans once the reality hits that there is no local rivalry, or indeed one forged by battling it out for domestic dominance, to spice up these regular encounters.

What makes football a great entertainment product (aside from the quality of individual games) is the tradition and rhythm of the domestic game coupled with the random nature and exciting draws that European competition provide. Liverpool playing PSG twice a season for the next 5 years will eventually get boring to fans and the investors will be off looking for a new toy.

I hope that Spurs aren’t in favour of this proposal and I strongly condemn them if they are.

6. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

This has a touch of the Kerry packers about it , massive no from me
    First and foremost I am a Tottenham Hotspur supporter and it would be hard for me to step away from the sport that I have loved for 60 yrs but this is giving me another push to that door . As PNP has said we as supporters must not let the money men damage our sport any more than they have already

7. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Am I alone in thinking there is a touch of coincidence in that this is all coming to the fore when there are no supporters in grounds to make their voices heard, and when it would be irresponsible to protest outside grounds away from matches?

8. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Spot on mate it is so cynical

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

At the rate things are going, Manchester might be gaining independence before Scotland does

On the plus side, that's one way to get the Premier League down to 18 teams...

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Orient season ticket for me if they are and go ahead with it. Or Exeter, seeing as I really wanna move to East Devon within the next 12-18 months.

This elitist bollocks fuelled by money can get in the bin. Don’t want any piece of it.

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

You know it's bad when you make UEFA look like the good guys! <laugh>
    They're pissed because FIFA will be nicking their gravy train, but it sounds like the right thing to say.

12. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

2022 seems a bit soon but they’ve been talking about a European Super League for decades and unfortunately it was almost guaranteed to happen.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  13. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I think it us inevitable but to make it fair it probably needs to be on merit and be a tier above the national leagues rather than in parallel. Something like. Top division of 24 clubs playing 46 matches with three regional divisions below. Six clubs to be relegated to the regional divisions with two promoted from each. A two legged knock out European cup for all 96 teams with a neutral venue final. Six clubs to be relegated from each regional division. To be replaced by the champions of the top nine domestic leagues and nine other champions from a knock out qualifying competition. All the teams play in their domestic cups.
    If it was in parallel with national leagues then I think 14 clubs in the European tier is the maximum alongside 14 in the national league.....even that is 52 matches. Unless you go for and odd number of teams with each playing each other once, when 25 per division might be doable.

14. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

But we don’t want to watch Spurs v Juventus as a league fixture on a weekend...not really bothered if it works or not from a structure pov

sounds boring like fk and wouldn’t actually be creating anything that fans don’t already get in the current structure of world Football...but would definitely be taking away from it

15. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I would be quite happy with that provided there was promotion and relegation. Spurs v Juventus much less boring than Spurs v Burnley and the league would be more interesting as more than half the teams would be in with a chance rather than the handful who are now.

16. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

As a Spurs fan I enjoy the mixed bag of teams we play in the PL every year plus I enjoy playing other English teams.

Would get boring very quick I think...plus what’s the reward for winning the European Super league? European competition already has its position in the football pyramid...it already sits at the top as the ultimate level of club football. This is just all about making more money through worldwide TV deals...not one iota of thought has been taken on behalf of the football fan.

who’s going to the Away games? think it would destroy the soul of the game for a lot of fans...I hope to God we don’t ever do this.

17. humanbeingincroydon

Or to put it another way...

Our fans get beaten up by Lazio fans once every few years, but now we're supposed to expect this to happen every season? How is this an advance?

Alfie Conn and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

People watch the Premier League and the Champions League more than anything else.
    Why do these idiots think that changing those competitions to match other ones is a good idea?
    Other leagues should be copying us.

19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

A classic example of a 'right action for the wrong reason' .

20. humanbeingincroydon

Based on the refereeing standards conveniently dropping in favour of certain teams, I thought we were copying Serie A?

PleaseNotPoll likes this.