1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League Reform

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Essayyeffcee, Oct 11, 2020.

1. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

Funny enough, I was thinking that myself, imagine putting forward a vote to do that? It would never happen, imagine turning the tables.

2. John Wick

I agree, but it's pathetic that everyone else has to live off the scraps, scraps that according to some reporter on Talk Sport are begrudged by the "big boys" and have been for sometime, the attitude of "we bring in the money, why should they get any". Game is at a tipping point.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. John Wick

I hate all this "big six" ****e. It's always been the "Top Four" with view of they were the Champions League places. But they have shoe horned in two more because one has alot of money (Man City who I don't mind) and Spurs for some reason. Everton start doing well itll be the magnificent seven.

4. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

It gets better!! If you've been in the Premier for a certain time you don't have to pay to do up your stadium!

https://mol.im/a/8831709

5. njc71

njc71 New Member

Mag here in peace. Wondered how you guys viewed this and reassuring you all seem as disgusted by it as me. Clubs like Sunderland, Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, Wolves, Sheff Wed etc have the most to lose here. Yes its sad that it needs the right ownership/investment and it might never happen but all of those clubs are big enough to challenge the elite.

Lets be honest the reason we carry on following our clubs through all the hell they put us through is the hope that one day it will be our turn. If this goes ahead that hope will be taken away.

The arrogance of it is sickening.

Riever, Lewberry Pie, TopClub and 6 others like this.
  6. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

And that's why both the owners of Man Utd and Liverpool are trying to bring this in. First it was the Champions League places that they tried to protect for the extra cash but now the likes of Leicester, Wolves, Tottenham are starting to challenge for those places, they need to circle the wagons and make sure that no one else can challenge them

7. If the top half a dozen so called big clubs want to dictate to everyone else and favour themselves,then the rest of the league should break away and let them get on with it. Exclude them from any domestic competition.They will soon get fed up playing each other every week,and their fans will soon run out of enthusiasm for travel to Madrid,Munich or Milan every fortnight,if that's how they see their future.
    If it's a season of Champions League they want every year let them have it.
    There will be plenty of fan and tv interest in Newcastle v Leeds or Wolves v Villa here at home, for example,and it will be much more competitive and entertaining, without those other clubs spending their way to trophies every season.

8. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Can’t come soon enough mate

JC91 and Random lad like this.
  9. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Disagree. If these clubs break away, what is left will not be seen as the elite level and the general public will not be as interested, no matter how competitive it is. Look how disdainful people are on here of League 1, yet its arguably a better competition than the Premier League.
    With that will come a decrease in the amount of money available to clubs and a drop off in quality.

10. League 1 isn't a better competition than the PL,because it doesn't have the quality,just that what they do have is fairly evenly spread across the league. However,the likes of Leicester,Wolves,Villa,Leeds are producing every bit as much quality as the top few,and,imo,the public would be interested in it. I agree it wouldn't be viewed as elite level,but,if it's exciting and competitive,people would watch it.

Lewberry Pie, Sandy Camel and rooch 3 like this.

11. njc71

njc71 New Member

Get what you're saying but Parry is already sweeping up vulnerable EFL clubs who can't see beyond tomorrow due to their financial problems. With the EFL on board the rest of the PL will be left exposed. Worry is they will have no option but to agree. Just hope they stick together and are brave enough to resist.

sad-eyed prophet likes this.
  12. The Norton Cat

Like I said, arguably a better competition. It depends how you view it.
    Leicester, Wolves etc are producing similar quality to the 'big 6'. At the moment. But they're only doing that because they are at the current elite level and have the consequent income from that and/or they have the potential/chance to overreach the 'big 6' so their owners are trying to fund that. Take either of those things away and the money drops, then quality drops, then the interest drops.

Similarly, in a new proposed European League (or whatever) eventually, a handful of teams will become dominant, and the remainder will become also rans. So the current problems with the Premier League will reoccur.

Overall, this plan is thoroughly bad for football as a whole.

smithy in nl likes this.
  13. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I wonder if at the PL meeting this week someone will have the gumption to tell Manure and the Bindippers and the others to sod off from the Premiership league. 6 others from the Championship could fill their places and do very nicely. It would certainly mean a more competitive league with Leicester not only being the 'outsider ' to win

14. The Norton Cat

But then the 'value' of winning the league would be diminished. Look how Man Utd were criticised for devaluing the FA Cup that year they didn't take part.

15. Yep,I can see your argument.

16. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

However the EFL/FA could step in.

For example, here in Aus if a rugby player does not have a contract with Rugby Australia (Top tier is super rugby) then they will not get selected to represent Australia. In other words if a player chooses to go to France or England for the money they miss out.

Nothing to stop the FA doing that. You play for a recognised domestic competition or you will not be selected in an England squad.;

smithy in nl likes this.
  17. Sunderpitt

A fair point, but say after half a dozen seasons it may not be as bad.

If we ever get to the top division again, I would love a chance to win the league, but with the moneybag clubs even if we get in the Premiership we would in all probability be also rans season after season.

18. The Norton Cat

Its the same with selection for the England rugby team. You have to be playing in the Premiership.
    Yeah, that could work. The financial rewards for playing football for England aren't great though, so you could end up with a situation whereby players choose their club over ambition. Potentially ruining international football too.

19. The Norton Cat

Its not that I want everything to stay the same as it is now. I think reform is needed. The Premier League would be more interesting if more clubs had a chance of winning it. I just don't think allowing the current (because that does change, if slowly) top 6 to bugger off to make themselves richer is the way to do it.

20. Sunderpitt

Well Man Chitty drove a horse and cart through the FPP rules, with their cheating and slick lawyers. So that route is unlikely to produce a level playing field between teams. Dumping those that have an unfair financial advantage is one way to produce fair competition... but as you imply very unlikely to happen.

It would be interesting would it not if 15 of the Premiership clubs were to say as an alternative to the big picture to kick the big six out. Them a number of clubs would be promoted form the lower leagues, nice incentive?