1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

You were the one who brought it up, dude.

2. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

You’d think. Except just wanting the glory isn’t enough, you need abilities that are way beyond him

3. shoot_spiderman

:rolleyes: I had a feeling someone might smack that particular full toss (!?) over the boundary.

(I dedicate that analogy to the England Cricket team. Well done guys) :1980_boogie_down:

fatletiss and Archers Road like this.
  4. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Brought what up? I was replying to another "Blair saved the world" post........dude.

5. shoot_spiderman

Hyperbole methinks

I challenge you to find anyone not called Tony Blair who thinks anything like that

But if no-one mentions the war then on domestic policy they were much better times

ImpSaint and Archers Road like this.
  6. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

EU siding with Iran against the US and protecting EU countries from the US sanctions.

Makes me laugh since I read the press conference after the sanctions were announced and the US hadn't even considered the possibility Europe and wouldn't back Trump on these sanctions.

7. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-data...ar-burkas-to-bank-robbers-not-racist-11465688

This sort of thing really annoys me. Sky are stating that 'The majority of Britons think describing women in burkas as looking like "letter boxes" and "bank robbers" is not racist - but are split as to whether Boris Johnson should apologise for doing so, according to a new Sky Data poll.'

Scroll down to the bottom of the article and you discover that 'the majority of Britons' they refer to are 'a nationally representative sample of 1,649 Sky customers by SMS on 8 August 2018. Data are weighted to the profile of the population.'

So 1600 people now represent the whole of Britain and Sky are reporting this as if it's fact. It's then broken down to age groups so even less people per group. On the TV they don't give any indication of the poll size. It's not just Sky that does this and we all know how accurate polls are.

Fake news......now who said that?

VocalMinority and davecg69 like this.
  8. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

9. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

10. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Onionman likes this.

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

No it doesn’t.

Onionman and davecg69 like this.
  12. San Tejón

I agree with you, but will the Government have the courage to act on it?
    I voted remain and couldn’t believe that it went the other way.
    Those that use the “Brexit means Brexit” quote would almost definitely change their mind about buying a house if a survey proved that buying said house would be economically draining on their finances and ruin their lifestyle. Yet for them Brexit is irreversible, despite many respected economists predicting financial hardship for almost everyone and even Rees Mogg saying that we may not feel the benefit for maybe fifty years.
    I just don’t understand their mindset.

13. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I loved Rees-Mogg's casual 50 year timeframe.

So things may be better by the time my son (who has just taken his GCSEs) retires? Ah, that's OK, then. An entire generation damaged to resolve an internal Tory party spat.

Vin

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I voted remain and I didn’t want to be allowed to vote. I said it all along. My instinct and from what I could understand, told me we were better in than out, although I still maintain that me and a hugely high % of the country didn’t really know what it would mean to leave (the big picture).

I couldn’t see the big picture of a Brexit and to be honest, I can’t see it now as nobody has painted that big picture. It just feels scary as I can’t see the wood for the trees with Brexit, let alone any clearing beyond that.

However, can we really change this journey now? I can’t see that we can. It could be anarchic on many future decisions if we change now, let alone the field day the Europeans would have and the costs they’d throw at us. We were asked to vote (wrong decision to have the vote), we voted with a result (no consideration to how that result should have been measured, number of votes, majority level needed, etc.) and now we surely have to live with that consequence or it makes any future vote a sham.

15. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Well said, Fats. My thoughts exactly, except, I believe that the Leave campaign broke so many laws that their campaign should be declared null and void and the poll taken again.
    Sadly, I doubt it’ll happen, as we seem to have a total absence of anyone in Westminster who can actually lead this country to a decent future and I really worry about what we’re doing for future generations. I see myself as a slightly left of centre thinker, but I can’t vote for the rabble who are Jeremy’s people and as for Theresa and the dreaded Boris ..... don’t get me started .....

16. San Tejón

“However, can we really change this journey now?”

I think we can.
    Just like any vote it reflected the views of the people at that time, many of whom were deliberately misled into voting for things (£350m per week extra for the NHS for example) that were never going to happen.
    We now know more about what is likely to happen and it isn’t looking anything like what was promised by the likes of Johnson and Gove.

The majority of the 65+ age bracket, that voted, voted leave, whereas the 18-49 group voted remain.
    Those who are most likely to suffer the long term effects of Brexit, the young, have been, IMO, let down by the elder generations who have voted for a rose tinted memory.

On a separate note, a survey has shown that just over 50% support Johnson’s comments about banning the Burka, yet that figure rises to 77% for the 65+ age group.
    I have recently seen Chinese youths walking around Southampton wearing surgical masks, presumably to protect themselves from car pollution.
    Should they be banned as well?

Just playing devil’s advocate on this last bit as I do believe that faces should be clearly identifiable in shops etc, but my concern is how the older generations are seemingly far less tolerant of Johnny Foreigner than our children and grandchildren, and that this has influenced the Brexit vote, whether or not they want to admit it.

17. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

You’re right St B, people seem too be getting more intolerant and it’s people like Trump and Boris who are “normalising” this sort of thing.
    I firmly believe that the reason the “majority” (and it was only a small one I thought) of over 60s who voted Leave did so because they were conned about the money for the NHS. I’m 63 and I’m happy to admit I voted Remain, because I’ve lived and worked all over the world and particularly in Europe and, whilst there are things which can be improved, we can’t do that by standing outside and complaining. We need someone strong in government to tear this up, pull the country together and sort it out. I really hope that we can get some younger politicians to do this, but I don’t see anyone currently.

ChilcoSaint and San Tejón like this.
  18. San Tejón

Can’t disagree with you on this.

Edit. Although the intolerance in some of the elder generations, IMO, is harking back to the old fashioned values that were accepted when they were growing up, and that they haven’t shaken off over the years. My dad was like this and, to my eternal shame, would occasionally drop the n word when talking about black people.

My eldest sister has had two life saving/extending heart operations in the last ten years, and was ably looked after by doctors, nurses and auxiliary staff from a multitude of countries, yet she bought into the promise of extra money and voted for Leave, which is seeing fewer immigrants joining the NHS and seeing many leave. It makes my blood boil.

A comedian recently said.

“The six month waiting list for NHS treatment was blamed on immigration.
    Now the waiting list is 18 months. It seems that the immigrants were the staff that have now left.”

Many a true word spoken in jest.

19. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Johnson said not to ban the burka but made rude remarks on how people look. I'm not defending him as I think he's an idiot but it sounds like you think he said they should be banned. Sorry if I read that wrong in your post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45096519

VocalMinority, ImpSaint and BobbyD like this.
  20. San Tejón

I didn’t mean to infer that but whether or not he did, it is already leading to an upsurge in people wanting it banned, as can be seen on social media.
    Johnson isn’t just an idiot. He’s a dangerous idiot, who has somehow managed to divert everyone’s attention away from Brexit.
    Maybe it’s all part of his game plan.

davecg69 likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Shandy_top_89