1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see any of the many homeless people that I pass in Southampton City Centre smiling much....

2. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Lol. No I was saying these things come and go around. Happiness in the 90s/00s was nothing to do with Blair. "Cool Britannia" was in full flow by the time Blair came in. Time and place and all that but it was a time when whilst not having that much money there was a good vibe and youth culture (which I would include 20s to early 30s as well) enjoyed life for a while.

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

So the BoE has put up the interest rates to 0.75, while the pound slips to around 1.12 euros. Not great if you are going on holiday. I feel that sterling is in a hospital waiting room awaiting results of negotiations around Brexit. One thing is for certain, the UK cannot afford to exit on a "No Deal" basis. Mrs May knows that to implement such as strategy, would threaten the UK economy. I feel she will need to negotiate an extensión to the March 29, 2019 deadline, and if it takes 10 years to negotiate a satisfactory "Brexit" so be it. We do not need to be in any hurry to exit a club that we have been a member of for the past 44 years.

San Tejón likes this.
  4. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

There was also the Summer of Love in 2012 surrounding the Olympics.

ImpSaint likes this.
  5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Seems like a hundred years ago now-when the UK was open the world, looking forward with optimism and generosity of spirit.

6. Saints_Alive

It feels much more like 1972 with our relationship with the rest of the World now....

7. Saints_Alive

Politicians like silver spoon boy and mega rich Rees-Mogg secretly thinks that the loss of trade and jobs and the hardship that goes with that is a good price to pay for British sovereignty, what about the rest of us poor bastards?

8. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Following the twisty-turny journey of May's recent Brexiting, that is, vote Remain, talk Hard Brexit then somehow get 'agreement' for the softest of Brexits that caused the current cabinet drama-queen exits. I think I would say she is a conviction-Pragmatist and therefore we will no way be leaving on a no deal basis.

You've got to say that being British PM currently has to be the ****test no-win job. Surely Cameron has to go down as the stupidest and most cowardly PM in recent times and May as one of the bravest.

davecg69 likes this.
  9. Archers Road

Can't really argue with that. I don't think I would have that much in common with Theresa May imn terms of political ideology, but I admire her tenacity and am prepared to accept that, unlike most of her cabinet, she is motivated by something more than naked self interest.

Beddy and Whiteley Saint like this.
  10. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

The rest of us don’t matter.
    Job and home insecurities will make people accept almost anything to barely survive, which will be win/win for unscrupulous business owners and landlords, who want to maximise profits at any cost.

11. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

as,if you say the Palestinians have agreed to this and the stumbling block is Israel, do you think that the UN could or would force Israel to accept the proposal that you included? even by the threat of sanctions. This would also take the responsibility away from the leaders of Israel and Palestine as i am pretty sure that the leaders signing an agreement for a two state resolution will be signing their own death warrant with extremes on both sides

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  12. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Same as it has been for the past decade+ then? Whilst in the EU?

13. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Same as it has been since union strength was undermined first creating job insecurity.
    There will be those without the closer scrutiny of EU rules who will look to exploit things even more than now.
    Amazon allegedly have had 600 ambulances visit their work places in the last three years. Can it get worse? Quite possibly.
    Plus the introduction of zero hours contracts (Blair?).

14. shoot_spiderman

Exactly that. I think she is a professional politician and motivated by pragmatism and therefore probably not a bad leader in the ****-pit we find ourselves in

Maybe once the 'deal' is sorted and she is brutally slain in a dark alley by her friends and colleagues we will have a slim chance of getting some unity in the Labour Party when they see that they might just have a chance of winning an election

15. shoot_spiderman

That is why you negotiate. There have been many unsolveable issues in the past and they found some form of resolution. (e.g. Ireland)
    The situation was actually heading towards a possible solution before Yitzhak Rabin was assasinated in 95
    As for 'signing their own death warrants', who knows, but none of the key Irish negotiators were assasinated

The problem here is that the US supports Israel because the US politicians will always protect the Jewish vote so the UN are affected by that bias. Experience indicates that exiled nationals are often highly nationalistic and will therefore support extreme causes in their 'home' country e.g. Irish-Americans during the troubles

... and now we have Trump who unilaterally takes ill-considered pro-Israeli and anti-Palestinian actions

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  16. shoot_spiderman

Err Governments don't run things anymore, Corporations do. Zero hours contracts etc are just Corporations being creative with the rules :emoticon-0126-nerd:
    Not buying anything from Amazon is a more effective democratic action by me than voting in my delightful but unfortunately Tory-stronghold constituency :emoticon-0106-cryin
    and I'm not saying they've noticed of course, but their algorithms will have :bandit:

claytonsaint and ImpSaint like this.
  17. Archers Road

Except that several decades of anti Trades Union legislation has paved the way for unscrupulous corporations to abuse their employees. Meanwhile, decent employers are forced to compete with rivals who ruthlessly reduce labour costs through zero hours contracts, bogus self employment, etc, thus creating massive downward pressure on wages.

Meanwhile, a decade of low wages and cheap credit has led to unprecedented levels of personal debt, which could end up crippling the national economy when interest rates rise further. All this is a direct redult of this government's policies.

18. shoot_spiderman

You're right of course, my post was a bit simplistic

Governments set the environment and now fail to intervene to re-establish any form of control in the interests of the people who vote for them, while corporations ride roughshod over them threatening removal of business which often provides crap jobs for little pay and virtually no tax

Not easy to change given the media has effectively convinced so many that businesses should run the world not governments

I could rant on, but I'm starting to see the matrix now, so I think I'll just take my blue pill and go out in the sunshine :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0157-sun:

ImpSaint and Archers Road like this.
  19. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

but the glory of bringing the two sides together would be too much for him to ignore

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Blimey. I hope that sunshine is in your own private back garden. Those blue pills can be embarrassing if taken just before going out in public... do you need bail or a lawyer? :emoticon-0111-blush

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    davecg69 likes this.