1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. SaintStu

SaintStu Well-Known Member

Trade will go on whatever form of Brexit or not that happens.
    If it was better explained that you can control EU immigration and exit ECJ jurisdiction but scrap the NI peace treaty/Irish border and risk the break up of the UK, make the lives of people living in Gibraltar more difficult, risk the health care of UK nationals living in the EU OR accept the status quo which included a seat at the table of the EU where you can try to influence the direction, then perhaps some people who voted the way they did would have changed. For me the risk of disrupting the peace in NI outweighs any fears of the ECJ making some anti-UK proclamations', besides I work in the science industry which heavily relies on co-operation and staff moving from one country to another and my wife works for the NHS which also benefits from EU migration.
    Migration is not bad. It may change the "British Way of Life" but it will be evolutionary not revolutionary and not something to be feared.

2. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I just wanted to quote Justine Greening because I only just read it and her answer was uncanny <laugh>

Greening:
    "We'll be dragging Remain voters out of the EU for a deal that means still complying with many EU rules, but now with no say on shaping them.

"It's not what they want, and on top of that when they hear that Leave voters are unhappy, they ask, 'What's the point?'

"For Leavers, this deal simply does not deliver the proper break from the European Union that they wanted."

Edit: Also, Stu, couldn't agree more

SaintStu, San Tejón and ChilcoSaint like this.
  3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I do not think the Tories will be slaughtered at all. Theresa May will stay until Brexit has been delivered in some shape or form, then the papers will give it praise, because anything less will undermine their beloved Tories. Following on from that, a new Tory leader will be found who is largely untarnished by the whole issue and will thus garner the support of the Conservative leaning press in the 24 months up to the next election.

4. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

If the referendum had gone the other way we wouldn't be seeing "as much" of the arguing. Yes we would still be campaigning and speaking out but in terms of the screen media (paper media is nowhere near as influential these days as TV and internet) for them it would be dead and buried and would be down the bottom of the pecking order.

Of course Farage and people who wanted to leave would still campaign to be out but we just would not get day to day arguments being given top billing as we have had for remain.

VocalMinority likes this.
  5. ImpSaint

It was Nick Clegg that tried to put an amendment on the Lisbon Treaty for a referendum to be held.......and it was turned down.

6. ImpSaint

The Tories at this point are finished at the next election anyway. That is why they are still pinning their hopes on "Vote for us or you'll get Corbyn." They are desperate for something to take away their Brexit failure (from both leave and remain voters.)

If they do hard Brexit then some of the Tory vote last time will shoot back to where they normally vote. If they do soft Brexit they will lose leavers. If the fudge a remain they will lose some of their core vote. It is going to be a big drop. Corbyn doesn;t need to get "more votes" this time round. The Tory vote was propped up with borrowed votes based on Brexit and a 10% drop in turnout is quite likely, most of which will be people who voted Tory in 2017.

7. VocalMinority

J
    If we do somehow get a second referendum then this would be how I would campaign it. Vote remain or get years more of this BS covering the news through the transition period.

ImpSaint likes this.
  8. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I believe you are spot on.
    I have said before that we don’t get the PM we need, we get the one that the media/press barons want, simply because the readership of right leaning press is so much greater than that of the central/left supporting press.
    I also said yesterday that despite more people now being social media and internet savvy, you cannot underestimate the power of the media to influence voters.
    If I remember correctly, when Blair trounced the Tories, he did it with Rupert Murdoch in support. If he were to support (I know he won’t) Corbyn, Labour would have a landslide victory, IMO, based on their latest manifesto and the ineptitude of the opposition.
    Murdoch getting Sun readers to support a Conservative Government, is akin to getting turkeys to vote for Christmas.

9. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

The "British way of life" is what this is about. All the economic arguments and other crap that is being thrown about are just red herrings. People are voting on a culture.

And to that end, I disagree with your view that Brexit was not a result of demographics. The youth vote was very strongly in favor of remaining. I do no think that this was due to uncertainty about what might happen due to Brexit as much as they do not care about preserving the traditional "British way of life." My guess is they are at best neutral but more likely in favor of moving past how people lived 30 or more years ago. I think that tension is also playing out in the US. It's the older people who are conservative-- especially Socially conservative-- and favor Trump.

This is going to start playing out in domestic affairs very soon. As long as it's British vs "others" or US vs "others" you can get some coalition around "yeah, obviously I pick my country." Or at least those who are opposed and don't like where things might be headed are not going to want to be accused of not standing up for their own country. I don't think it has become fully apparent yet how differently the citizens themselves view "Britain" or "America."

We're still doing a lot of dodging around the issue with one side assuming it's immigrants and/or a few intellectual liberal elites opposing things or conversely that it's a bunch of blue-collar/country bumpkins or rich conservative elites. Both sides feel like they speak for the silenced majority and there needs to be some kind of uprising to take back control from the government/press/whathaveyou.

The **** is really going to hit the fan when everyone realizes how internally divided their countries actually are. That it's really split 50/50 down the middle or really more like 10/15/25/15/10/10/10/5 once the fractures really start showing. That's when things will start to get really nasty, and likely somewhat violent.

I think things are going to get worse before they get better. Most industrialized nations are going through some form of this same debate right now.

The Ides of March and ImpSaint like this.
  10. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

That's one thing about this Brexit debacle, the press have laid off of their obsessive personal bashing and muck raking of Jeremy Corbyn for the time being.

Archers Road and ChilcoSaint like this.

11. ImpSaint

And missing that in latest polling UKIP are up to 8% (from 3%.)

The Tories are down to 36% (down 6 points) safe to assume that UKIPs 5% rise is from that Tory loss.

Labour are on 40%.

Archers Road likes this.
  12. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Reading on twitter, the aftermath of Helsinki:

Donald trump openly backing Putin over his own intelligence services...as well as calling the European Union a “foe”.

German foreign minister says something along the lines of:”We can no longer rely on the White House”. I read that for the first time since WW2, germany are drawing up strategies which consider the United States of America to be an adversary.

Even Fox News has called Trump’s performance a disgrace.

Bloody hell.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  13. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Hernia operations being rationed owing to lack of funding.
    Maybe I’m missing the point here, but surely stopping “routine” operations that enable people to continue working, will force some of them to stop working, forcing them onto benefits, which will ultimately cost the country more.
    The same has been mentioned recently about operations for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (something I suffer with), becoming a “paid for” operation, as “it isn’t a very serious condition”, despite it stopping some from working.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ng-hernia-patients-lives-at-risk-say-surgeons

BobbyD and VocalMinority like this.
  14. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Trump's performance in Helsinki is a disgrace both to himself and the American people...........By kowtowing to the Russians he will actually create more problems for the future. The man in my opinion should be put in a lunatic asylum. What the heck he is thinking by announcing his own security people as being useless and liars is bewildering. He is more dangerous than I thought to world peace...........There is no doubt the man is a first class Prick.........Sorry ladies..........

15. ImpSaint

16. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

I can not see why people are still referring to Russia as the enemy, they are no longer a Communist country and has more in common now with western countries. did Russians interfere with the Us elections/ yes, at what level and with who, don't know. There is no proof at the moment directly linking Putin to Trump. trump is correct that saying there are only 2 countries in the world that can destroy the world if war breaks out.
    Trump has shown that he will not hesitate in using force against Putin, Putin is a thug and is trying to expand Russia's power in the area, but by arming Putin's enemies and by bombing Russian troops, the US have shown that they will not back down from Russia.
    12 GRU agents have been arrested for hacking the Demorats, firstly Obamas lack of proactive defence against hacking threats is disgusting, how the hell can a sitting president do nothing about a foreign threat to elections when it happened in the 2012 elections as well. Secondly, every major power screws around with other peoples elections or emails. The Russians were stirring **** with both sides during the elections

17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

The result of the 2016 Brexit Referendum should be declared null and void. Vote Leave clearly cheated and gained an unfair advantage and they fed the UK a pack of colossal lies to boot.
    Democracy needs to be seen as squeaky clean and fair on all levels...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44856992

With the result being as close as it was, there should be a "Stewards Enquiry" and a re-run if found to be unfair.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  18. VocalMinority

According to our government they are launching attacks on our country and killing our citizens.

19. VocalMinority

I don't think there's time left but we should have a vote only the final deal anyway as it's the only way to see if the population genuinely supports going through with this.

20. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I wonder whether spending this extra £700k gained the Leave campaign as much of an advantage as the Remain campaign gained when the government spent £9m on sending a pro-EU leaflet to every address in the country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Hadz13