1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

The Russians began executing people in every town they entered. They have kidnapped and forcibly relocated several million people out of the country, by their own admission.

Ukrainians wouldn't have been living under Russian occupation as Ukrainians. Ukraine as an entity would have been eliminated, because that was the intent, as their own damned propagandists keep announcing: cultural genocide and ethnic cleansing designed to eliminate Ukrainians as a people and thus allow the territory to be permanently incorporated into Russia. Death to anyone who tried to retain Ukrainian cultural identity.

2. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

She was actually arrested, you utter ninny, as confirmed by German police:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...berg-german-coal-village-protests-2023-01-17/

The Twitter video is from after they carried her (and others) off the site, while they were waiting for her to be processed and loaded into a police van, as Reuters notes.

Posting a hoax to decry global warming as a hoax is peak Os. Three weeks from him ranting about lizard people.

3. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64309628

Third paragraph - she wasn’t arrested. Detained and arrested are two different things

4. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Dunno about Germany but being arrested and detained are definitely two different things here.

You can be detained without being arrested and placed under caution, usually to conduct a search.

It actually happened to me fairly recently, I was found with some cannabis (smoking a joint) and was detained for the purpose of being searched further. At no point was I under arrest though.

6. Gregm1988

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Plus It was literally the German police who said she hadn't been arrested.

Not that the distinction is all that relevant to the original point in this discussion but accuracy is important I suppose.

8. Gregm1988

Well i guess the implication of the original post is that this was an act / staged. That she was trying to get arrested and/or it was all for the photo op. She got the photo but didn’t get arrested. The story I read suggested they saw her ID and released her. Which is either the opposite of what she wanted or the opposite of what some people claim she would have wanted (depending on your perspective)

Libby likes this.
  9. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It's not really a technicality; at least from the standpoint of either Canadian or American law, a person is legally considered to be arrested any time they are not free to leave (it's a really big point of search-and-seizure jurisprudence), so it didn't really make sense that she could be detained and not arrested...detention happens after arrest. But in reading Chapters 112-114 of the German Code of Criminal Proceedings, because I got curious, it appears that it's only considered an arrest if they are remanded into custody or a warrant of arrest is issued.

So she was arrested, but they opted not to arrest her, depending on where you are...?

10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Way to focus on the priorities guys!

****ing planet’s about to combust and the most important thing is to define our terminology correctly.

No wonder Greta gets ****ing angry, I know how she feels.

11. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

None of the above pedantic posts detract from OS's post being debunked bollocks.

12. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

And in UK politics, an agency that supplies nurses to hospitals, to cover the shortfall in staffing, is allegedly offering agency nurses £40 per hour to cross the picket lines in York.
    And when we say that the agency is offering £40 per hour, we all know that the cost will be met by the taxpayers.

13. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

True, but I’ve already wasted far too much of my life arguing with people like Os: there simply is no point.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Who made you king dick on what we're allowed to discuss in this thread?

Do we have to run the topics by you first before posting?

I rarely post in this thread but was surprised to see Schad being so inaccurate so added my two pence worth.

15. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Discuss what you ****ing like, makes no odds to me. Well done for seizing an opportunity to have a go though.

I was just pointing out the irony in fiddling with words while the planet burns, or in today’s case, freezes.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Apologies mate I just thought your post came across as needlessly aggressive. No offence meant.

The truth is important though no? Spoken about in here loads about how the internet is littered with falsehoods and yet when me and Greg choose to correct one we're 'fiddling with words'.

I think it's especially important to be accurate with this subject as any inaccuracy will be jumped on by the lunatics and used to influence the thick as 'evidence' that people are lying about it.

17. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

No problem mate.

You’re right of course about the importance of accuracy, and it’s probably the most frustrating thing about social media in general that things like using the wrong word, or in extreme cases bad grammar or punctuation, are jumped on to denounce someone’s point. I suppose the best thing is to go back to the old analogy about chatting to someone in a pub, where any misunderstanding is usually cleared up straight away, whereas bare words on a screen are permanent indelible.

Libby and Le Tissier's Laces like this.
  18. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

I can see why you may have thought that accuracy and truth was important but on the politics board different rules apply when it suits.

19. Gregm1988

Guilty of this. Picking up the wrong word thing. I just got annoyed with someone on Twitter who was moaning about saints signing a “blind” forward. Suffice to say I felt the need to point out that of course he wasn’t blind and hyperbole wasn’t helpful

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I realise a lot of people think the “mainstream media” (god I hate that phrase) are terrible, and can’t be trusted etc etc (usually people who don’t actually read any of the mainstream media, but just enjoy parroting out a trope).

But here’s one of countless examples of a mainstream media source (The Times) trying to present both sides of a story. Here they talk to a group of supporters of Andrew Tate -

Why is the misogynist Andrew Tate so popular? His young fans speak out https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/21109ca4-9653-11ed-a130-baced48eb788?shareToken=11747c471bc130c7437f96f2d8aa00e3