1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

TBH I can't see how he can be fined given the Met were working along the lines of whether an event had taken place at someone's home. Of course a completely different force is investigating Starmer so you can't be sure.

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

George Bush :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Le Tissier's Laces likes this.
  3. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

According to The Mail, Boris has been cleared by the MET. Interesting take.

4. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

My man watched Donald Trump provide four years of nonsensical quotes that somehow topped GWB's tally in eight, and had to get in a little flex.

5. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

You may not agree with any or all of the SNP’s policies, but my God they have some brilliant orators, and Mhairi Black is way up there. I agree with every word she says here:

6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

A light is shining down under with Labor the largest.party in the lower house of the Australian Parliament, although it hasn't got an overall majority at.the moment. I suppose the Aussies are fed up.with bull**** and the arrogance of the Liberal-National coalition.

davecg69 likes this.
  7. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

I also gather that the liberals might have lost the support of more American inspired centre right / right wing people as they are proposing so pretty strict anti defamation laws which rankle the “free speech” crowd

It is intriguing how people on the right really play this up when they are from countries that don’t have the First Amendment to the US Constitution

8. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I would just like to congratulate Rishi Sunak and his wife, for being included in the Sunday Times wealth list, with a value of £730 million.
    Only the second time an MP has made the list, apparently.
    So reassuring to know that someone who has grown up with and had to endure the hardships of poverty is the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

davecg69 likes this.
  9. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

10. San Tejón

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I don't get the WFH 'scandal' at all.

I have been WFH for 7 years now and no one has ever had an issue with my workrate. I am an adult after all.

I think I probably do 60 hours a week too rather than my 37.5 due to the "oh I may as well finish this as I am here now".

Treat people like adults and guess what? They behave like one.

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

I take your point but I don't think it's that simplistic. You clearly have a good work ethic but lots of people don't sadly and are happy to try and blag it.

My personal opinion is that it's caused major issues at my place of work but I suspect it works far better in the private sector.

Edit - although I'm not sure about that now as I reckon I'd be far more likely to blag it if I worked in private sector lol.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  13. San Tejón

I think with the likes of Smogg etc, he is thinking about the impact empty office blocks would have on the income of many of his businessman friends, rather than the actual impact on work being done.
    Smogg doesn’t care about the cost, in money and time, of the commute to workers and won’t let simple facts (the work is still being done) influence his thinking.
    The post I put up earlier shows that some offices aren’t even big enough, or well enough equipped to deal with everyone turning up on the same day, which would be counterproductive.
    I have heard many tales, in the past, about those who can’t do their work because of desk sharing and there being no free desks to work on.
    A company I worked for wanted to merge offices with a company that we rescued from closure. Desk sharing was suggested, but sensibly ruled out because we all had too much information stored in and around the desks that we needed to be able to regularly access in order to do our jobs effectively.
    Those working from home who are slackers will, in all likelihood, get found out and sacked.

14. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

And those that WFH and are slackers are probably just the same (ie play the system) in an office.

I was chatting with my neighbour the other day about this as he is now WFH 3 days a week. He hurt his back in an accident and actually said he felt guilty taking time off (his boss told him to) as he was in the house anyway.

In the last 7 years I have had about 4-5 days off sick for the same reason. 3 of those were COIVD days too when I really was too ill to do anything. Once I felt slightly better I was 'working' but at a reduced pace. I think some business owners forget about that aspect - you are less likely to pull a sickie if you WFH anyway.

15. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I'm definitely more productive WFH. No one wandering into my office to talk, no phone ringing, no need to wear productivity-lowering trousers, etc. In the past, when we've needed something done in a hurry, I've almost always taken a day or two and done it from home for that reason.

16. Gregm1988

Productivity lowering trousers ?

17. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I do my best work when my thighs are free.

18. Gregm1988

Yeah I had a sick day once during this covid WFH spell which is now over two years and felt really bad about it. But I literally thought “if I was at work I would go home feeling how I feel”. But borderline cases are far easier to just roll with at home as you don’t have to face a commute of anything like that

19. Gregm1988

To be honest now that you mention it so do I. The term just made me chuckle

20. Gregm1988

I saw a video that mused that there could be even more to it than just the Tory donor private landlords of the office blocks and cafe chains

The idea was that some of the people who would live in the the solidly safe labour cities might move out a bit further and but far more blue seats at risk

It is an intriguing one that could well be at least a partial concern

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. StJabbo1