1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I am happy to sit and debate with anyone, but I also hold to my view that anyone who has been led by the media to think that a Tory government are going to actually help the “ordinary folk” (or “little man” as I understand how we are seen) are absolute idiots. I also hold to the view that you and others are entitled to their own views, whatever they may be, but you should listen to others and spend some time examining different ideals so you have a balanced view .....

San Tejón and Kaito like this.
  2. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

And that is a great attitude Dave, for which I applaud you for. Shame not all see/behave in such a way.

Not sure id agree it is just the young not complying though, as I said many many people I know didnt bother complying.

I do think the 16-24 yo generation have something to answer for their non compliance.

I particularly applaud your last sentence but dont think that is the right thing either, we must protect those most at risk first, then work our way down the list (one of the things I believe Boris has got correct), and whilst that may take longer to get back on track, then we have to live with the sentiment that we are nearly at the finish line.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  3. Negative Creep

Dave - your post is seemingly one sided whilst trying to make out youre happy to help the others see sense!

You say anyone that has been led by the media (...Tory Gov) - all sides of the political spectrum are led to a certain extent, so that swings both ways.
    Help the little man
    - all that happens if labour are in is that the 'other side' feels the same as you do now. But you still persist in calling them idiots - which goes against you saying you are happy to debate!
    You should listen to others and examine - you make a huge assumption that I dont do this, and end with having a balanced view - which is exactly the opposite of most of what you have just written. I dont vote as i dont trust any of the people i am meant to vote for, and I have always thought politics to be broken, needing total reform.

So look, im not trying to get you to change your views btw, or to suggest I am correct and you are wrong, as this is pertinent to the individual. Just reading what you say, to a slight outsider, seems strange and it is somewhat contradictory.

I guess sometimes we just agree to disagree :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. Negative Creep

Fair enough, I thought we were pretty high on the list. Maybe we were, until Covid wiped most of them out.

5. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Whilst Tory voters may well be seen as "idiots," anyone purporting to be a Blairite or a Chuka Umuna supporter (me) is deemed something far worse by many on here!.

6. Negative Creep

Exactly!

I may be an idiot, but that isnt due to political allegiance - it is largely because I am a dick.

7. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Should we really be surprised that two second rate journalists should prove to be third rate politicians?

please log in to view this image
    please log in to view this image

8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Your assessment of these guys being second rate journalists is far too generous. Would you even consider them to write something for Lee on Solent Advertiser let alone a high quality paper like the Independent?

davecg69 likes this.
  9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Senate votes 57-43 Guilty, which isn't enough. Trump acquitted.

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Was always going to be a longshot for 2/3 of senate to vote for conviction.

11. SaintStu

SaintStu Well-Known Member

why do they need 2/3 majority to decide important things?

It is not fair

12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You can't have a simple majority for obvious reasons.

13. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Mitch McConnell, the minority Republican leader, just made a speech in which he basically said that while Trump was guilty of everything that he’d been accused of, he couldn’t be convicted because the Constitution didn’t allow for former presidents to be convicted. This was despite the Senate having voted on Wednesday that it was Constitutional to try a former President. He dropped a huge hint that Trump should be prosecuted in the criminal courts, so we’ll see what happens next.

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

So that daft, constitutional and fundamental changes to the lives of a nation can’t be made on a quick fire vote with a close majority .... perhaps we should take note.

15. SaintStu

SaintStu Well-Known Member

Thank you I knew there was a reason

(Perhaps I should make my jokes less subtle :emoticon-0110-tongu)

16. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Boris looks like he did his hair with a ballon.

17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

This tells you everything you need to know about the careerist selfish scumbag Texan Senator Ted Cruz. Dereliction of duty springs to mind...

MIsaints, davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  18. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

19. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Good Law Project wins High Court case against government on disclosure of contract awards:

20. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Just wonder now what (if anything) will be done. I can see it now - “we will form a parliamentary sub-committee to review and report the case. It will be a cross-party committee chaired by Michael Gove, with Dominic Raab, Priti Patel, Matt Hancock and Liz Truss forming the rest of the committee. There will be 2 Labour MPs and 1 other. Decisions and reports will be made based on the majority view, but there will be no transparency on the decision because it is of national importance” :emoticon-0112-wonde:emoticon-0112-wonde:emoticon-0112-wonde